Electric bike under £1000?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stodd

Re: Electric bike under £1000?

Post by stodd »

If you are travelling at the same speed the increased breaking distance shouldn't be too much; the %age change in weight including you and bike can't be very much. Have you got brake sensors fitted? If not you may have motor overrun so for the first second or so of breaking it is fighting the motor.
hemo

Post by hemo »

There's a low mileage (370) 9 month old Woosh Faro for sale on Pedelecs uk forum for £700, might be an ideal bike if one doesn't live to far away.
Location is KT6 Surbiton , bike has in frame hidden battery.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

stodd wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 10:09am If you are travelling at the same speed the increased breaking distance shouldn't be too much; the %age change in weight including you and bike can't be very much. Have you got brake sensors fitted? If not you may have motor overrun so for the first second or so of breaking it is fighting the motor.
I haven't done any formal measurement. I do notice, however, that my carbon butterfly (10 kg vs 18) stops a hell of a lot more abruptly.

The motor cuts out about a quarter-second after I stop pedalling, in fact I've known it cut out half-way through a gear-change going up a hill.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Audax67 wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 8:15am ---o0o---

Another thing I've noticed since motorizing one of my road bikes is that braking distance (rim brakes) has increased considerably, due to the increased weight. I suppose rim wear will be greater too.
That's why I'd not electrify a nice light bike -

- a second hand donor bike that's a bit heavy( within reason you'd not want a bike too heavy to lift ) as a road/ commuter bike but has decent hydraulic brakes would be my choice as it's good to have a fairly solid bike with wider tyres etc. Electrifying that transforms it into a usable machine who's parts are standard and economical to repair.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Audax67 wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 2:07pm
stodd wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 10:09am If you are travelling at the same speed the increased breaking distance shouldn't be too much; the %age change in weight including you and bike can't be very much. Have you got brake sensors fitted? If not you may have motor overrun so for the first second or so of breaking it is fighting the motor.
I haven't done any formal measurement. I do notice, however, that my carbon butterfly (10 kg vs 18) stops a hell of a lot more abruptly.

The motor cuts out about a quarter-second after I stop pedalling, in fact I've known it cut out half-way through a gear-change going up a hill.
What kind of bb sensor are on the bikes ? I'd expect ( never had one so just assuming ) a torque sensor to cut out quicker than the cadence sensor since the motor driver would know straight away if there's input or not.
I am here. Where are you?