What's the longest time out you've had from cycling in the last 3 years?

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !

What's the longest period you've had without cycling in the last 3 years?

1 Day.
No votes
2 Days.
No votes
3 Days.
3%
5 Days.
No votes
1 Week.
9%
10 Days.
3%
2 Weeks.
19%
3 Weeks.
13%
1 month.
13%
More than 1 Month.
41%

Total votes: 32

Windstrel

Re: What's the longest time out you've had from cycling in the last 3 years?

Post by Windstrel »

Six weeks as instructed by the surgeon who did my hernia operation recently. I'm just returning to cycling very carefully with one short ride so far.

The problem is that, although we have a motor vehicle, we hardly ever use it, preferring to use our bikes for the vast majority of our local journeys. So weekly trips to our local town for shopping are on our bikes and three to four times a week trips to our local tennis club for two to three hours tennis are all on our bikes etc.

So not being able to cycle for six weeks has meant not going out at all which has been exceedingly boring. As I return to being able to cycle again, I'm looking forward to being able to live again and that will be wonderful 🙂🚴🎶
fossala

Post by fossala »

I’d guess thee days, maybe two. I don’t drive and commute and get shopping by bike.

Much more if you could injuries (from cycling) as I broke my shoulder when hit by a car in January and got doored about 2 years ago with my wife on the tandem.
S68

Post by S68 »

In the last years I will have to say 3 years and that was because I had a mid life crisis and bought a motorbike and they're a lot less effort and much more fun :wink:
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

S68 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 8:04am In the last years I will have to say 3 years and that was because I had a mid life crisis and bought a motorbike and they're a lot less effort and much more fun :wink:
Maybe less effort at the time of use but more effort is required to pay for them and to keep them on the road. More fun than cycling? Each give pleasure in their own way and suit different people at various points in their lives.

Several posters here either have had or do ride motorcycles too. I found my motorcycles to be both great fun and enormously enabling but, like bicycles, you’ve got to be mindful of road conditions and the actions (stupidity?) of other road users. Given that motorbikes are relatively heavy and fast moving accidents involving them can be quite serious. Enjoy what you have - I loved riding my motorcycles - and also try to be as safe as you can practically be.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be one or the other, lots of folk enjoy riding both bikes and motorbikes 😉.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
S68

Post by S68 »

Carlton green wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 9:12am Maybe less effort at the time of use but more effort is required to pay for them and to keep them on the road. More fun than cycling? Each give pleasure in their own way and suit different people at various points in their lives.

Several posters here either have had or do ride motorcycles too. I found my motorcycles to be both great fun and enormously enabling but, like bicycles, you’ve got to be mindful of road conditions and the actions (stupidity?) of other road users. Given that motorbikes are relatively heavy and fast moving accidents involving them can be quite serious. Enjoy what you have - I loved riding my motorcycles - and also try to be as safe as you can practically be.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be one or the other, lots of folk enjoy riding both bikes and motorbikes 😉.
I do 90% of my cycling indoors these days just for health/fitness reasons as I don't find it pleasurable on the roads anymore due to the volume of traffic now in my area, and when I go off-road MTB (which is/was the real fun side of cycling for me) I'm always on edge worrying about which breed of stupid canine is going to attack me next because the owners like to let their beasts off leash in parks, fields, and public places.

Motorbikes give a feeling of much more confidence and control on roads for me personally as it's rare that any vehicle ever wants to pass me as I've got more power, speed, and quicker acceleration to distance myself from cars/vans etc and stay out of danger but I'm what you would called a fair-weather biker so road conditions are never usually a major concern. Touch wood I've never had an accident yet but you're right in saying the injuries would probably be more severe in a collision at those speeds.

Ultimately though I'm really just a very safe car driver now with a defensive approach to motoring and cycling/biking are hobbies now more than modes of transport I want to use daily. Indoor cycling gives me everything I need health-wise in safety and when I want some fresh air I go out for an early morning ride before all the drivers and dog walkers wake up :wink:
Last edited by S68 on 24 Sep 2023, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Maybe it’ll be sorted out but it looks like the formatting in the post above (by S68) is messed up.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
S68

Post by S68 »

Carlton green wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:56am Maybe it’ll be sorted out but it looks like the formatting in the post above (by S68) is messed up.
Fixed now.