looking for advice on a tent.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jags

looking for advice on a tent.

Post by jags »

hi folks ,
can anyone recommend a quality 2 man tent for bike packing,
affordable would be nice light would be a bonus easy to piych.
thanks folks
happy christmas to all.

jags.
WEBH

Re: looking for advice on a tent.

Post by WEBH »

You could have a look at 'trekkertent'. Not the cheapest but very light and great to use, I've used one extensively in Scotland and it was ace
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I have a big Agnes copper spur bikepacking tent. They do them in different sizes. I have the one man and I’m a fan but I haven’t used it enough to test longevity. I kept an eye open for good prices and found it on a site in Germany before we left the customs union so I paid a bit less than the link but they are a good company to deal with and I’ve bought other stuff there.
Big Agnes do a couple of bikepacking tents now. They have shorter poles and loops for attaching to the bike(I put mine in a pannier but it’s a nice fit for that). Obviously you don’t need a bikepacking tent per se- anything lightweight will do as long as it fits somewhere.

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/202 ... king-tent/
Last edited by MrsHJ on 23 Dec 2022, 5:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

Haven't you had some tents before? maybe a good starting point would be what you liked and disliked about them, save people recommending what you've already rejected.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 5:07pm Haven't you had some tents before? maybe a good starting point would be what you liked and disliked about them, save people recommending what you've already rejected.
+ 1

Otherwise yes, just get a two-man Vango and your're home and dry. :wink:

My recommendation is:

Decide on the size - done, a two man.
Decide on the configuration you want (tunnel, dome etc)
Decide on your budget
Buy.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jags

Post by jags »

PH wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 5:07pm Haven't you had some tents before? maybe a good starting point would be what you liked and disliked about them, save people recommending what you've already rejected.
Yes PH i had 3 tents in the past, hilliberg akto hated it way to expensive ,
Mountainharware Spear 2 fantastic tent i bought that used for 100 euro.
other one i bought for a guy in UK pure rubbish i binned it.
Last tour i done was in ireland with bikepacker good buddy of mine,but had to give it up because my back caved in so to speak.
i sold all my camping gear all top notch gear along with my Thorn Audax,lad from belfast bought it guy thought all his birthdays came at once for what he bought it for..
My son is half planning of doing Wild Atlantic way next summer,
so i'm half thinking of doing it with him, i have the bike but no gear (as i gave it all away) :(

Im an OAP not much money so cant afford to spend a fortune on gear .
nothing definit yet but no harm looking to see whats out there at a good price its been a while since i toured so aint got a clue if anyone made a good tent for little money,all this camping stuff is imho way to expensive,but i suppose you get what you pay for in the end.

anyhow thanks for replys folks much appreciated.

jags.
PH

Post by PH »

jags wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 9:51pm
PH wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 5:07pm Haven't you had some tents before?
jags.
Just did a quick search and that appears to be an extended porch tunnel tent, as you liked that I'd narrow the search to something similar. It's not a type I'm familiar with, so I have no recommendations, though it is a very common design. Do you know what the Mountain Hardware weighed? While looking for that, this popped up, looks similar, good brand, good price, 3.2kg

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/robens-voyager ... lsrc=aw.ds
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

jags wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 3:33pm hi folks ,
thanks folks
happy christmas to all.

jags.
Are you sure you want to do cycle camping again?

When you finished the last camping tour you said "never again" and now you are 5 years older, so it won't have gotten any easier. The tour you are thinking about will be a tough enough ride without having to pitch every night and decamp the next morning. I think as someone who knows you, try and borrow a tent before you invest in more camping equipment you may never use again. If you really want to buy another light tent look for a second hand tepee or similar as thinking about your back problem it would save you having to crawl in and out of a low tent.

I only wish I was up to joining you, I could do the cycling but not the camping.

Happy Christmas to you and June
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
glucas

Post by glucas »

Sounds just like my wife :lol: :lol: :lol:
jags

Post by jags »

bikepacker wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 11:52am
jags wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 3:33pm hi folks ,
thanks folks
happy christmas to all.

jags.
Are you sure you want to do cycle camping again?

When you finished the last camping tour you said "never again" and now you are 5 years older, so it won't have gotten any easier. The tour you are thinking about will be a tough enough ride without having to pitch every night and decamp the next morning. I think as someone who knows you, try and borrow a tent before you invest in more camping equipment you may never use again. If you really want to buy another light tent look for a second hand tepee or similar as thinking about your back problem it would save you having to crawl in and out of a low tent.

I only wish I was up to joining you, I could do the cycling but not the camping.

Happy Christmas to you and June
Hi Alan
yeah i know im a geek ,i havent done another trip since our ireland tour ,
my poor back hasnt gotten any better ,
i up graded my bike fitted an 250 watt motor up front makes getting up hills much easier lol.
nothing definit planned yet .Noel just informed me the other day we were going to do wild atlantc way next summer
but might never happen,
BnB would be better but expensive..
anyway hope all is well with you and Paulene happy christmas
jags

Post by jags »

PH wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 9:30am
jags wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 9:51pm
PH wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 5:07pm Haven't you had some tents before?
jags.
Just did a quick search and that appears to be an extended porch tunnel tent, as you liked that I'd narrow the search to something similar. It's not a type I'm familiar with, so I have no recommendations, though it is a very common design. Do you know what the Mountain Hardware weighed? While looking for that, this popped up, looks similar, good brand, good price, 3.2kg

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/robens-voyager ... lsrc=aw.ds
looks very much like the mountain hardware I had great tent.cheers PH have a great Christmas.
POIDH

Post by POIDH »

Do you *need* the porch?

I've managed a kit store of upto 50n tents for work, currently 15 for DofE.
You won't go far wrong with a Vango, particularly a tunnel shape.
I've a Vango Scafell (2.2kg, super space, it just works and works well), Robens Space (95% as good as the Vango, with a daft guyline position, marginally less space and marginally better materials) and Alpkit Delta (you can't buy anymore, amazingly light at 1kg, amazingly resilient but cut really badly). All cost under £100 and I would happily use.

I've added a tarp onto the bike a few times - but don't think I would bother again.
jags

Post by jags »

Thanks everyone Vango seems Very popular I'll Sus them out here in ireland.buying from the UK can be very expensive with import and Brexit tax .
POIDH

Post by POIDH »

In which case, check out the Robens Arch 2 (I got the name wrong above and referred to it as a Space).

Mine was £80, they're often around £100/€100, despite RRP of €250

https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/outdoor-tents/arch-2
jags

Post by jags »

Just remembered I gave my son a tent not top notch but reckon it will do the job all I have to do now is get miles in the legs and loose 3 stone easy peasy.thanks folks.