My LEJOG for next summer

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
plook

Re: My LEJOG for next summer

Post by plook »

Mick F wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 7:11pm PS:
Also, drove in support of riders doing LEJOG in 2007, having been informative of their route.
Also, being interviewed during the production of a DVD movie LEJOG with Simon and Trevor.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lands-End-John ... B002K9560I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5t1y0k26o
Enjoyed watching the Youtube videos. Really nice bikes. Did you video the Chopper one?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

plook wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 9:19pm
Paulatic wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 7:26pm What’s going on with your route above Larkhall?
That's a really good question. I'm staying at a friend's in Kelvinside and decided i'd head northwards towards Milngavie rather than head west over to Dumbarton. Is that a bad idea? This shows how valuable asking here has been already. Staying in Glasgow is not a must and if the Edinburgh/Perth east side route makes more sense i'll re-route it.
Biggest problem being my fingers I think adding a finish below Stirling while making the map bigger. :lol:
Opened a new link and it’s gone.
Best to uncheck 'click map for more points' for my use.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
plook

Post by plook »

I do that all the time with cycle.travel and have become friends with 'undo' and making sure i save regularly.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Consider taking the alternative route via Bonar Bridge between Ardgay and Invershin. The difference in distance is negligible, but the road surface is better, there are refreshment opportunities in Bonar and you avoid having to carry your bike down a flight of stairs at the Invershin railway bridge. OTOH, via Culrain here will be negligible motor traffic, but the road is mostly single track with a few ups and downs and you will probably have to dismount if you meet any other traffic.
plook

Post by plook »

Ron wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 10:11am Consider taking the alternative route via Bonar Bridge between Ardgay and Invershin. The difference in distance is negligible, but the road surface is better, there are refreshment opportunities in Bonar and you avoid having to carry your bike down a flight of stairs at the Invershin railway bridge. OTOH, via Culrain here will be negligible motor traffic, but the road is mostly single track with a few ups and downs and you will probably have to dismount if you meet any other traffic.
Thank you. I will look close at this option. Appreciate it.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

These are the steps alongside the railway line at Invershin (after approaching on a grassy, muddy for us when we did it, track).
There is also another flight of steps at the far end.
It was a case of unloading everything off the bikes to get them down the steps, reloading to push along the level platform, and then unloading again at the far end to get everything down the next flight.
It had rained when we did it, which made it even more dodgy, and pretty grim for anyone wearing cleated shoes.
The main road which we left and then rejoined wasn’t busy anyway!
In our opinion this stretch of cycle route 1 is a pointless and dangerous diversion.
028E973B-2F5D-4ADC-B8E8-90EC560C0100.jpeg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

plook wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 9:57pm .............. Did you video the Chopper one?
http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com

:D :D :D

Blogs read from the "wrong way up" so you need to start at the bottom for the story.
I had an idea to write the whole thing start to finish, as the start was on this forum in many many sections, so you'll need to search to get it all. Goodness knows where it all is.
Mick F. Cornwall
plook

Post by plook »

Mick F wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 2:52pm
plook wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 9:57pm .............. Did you video the Chopper one?
http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com

:D :D :D

Blogs read from the "wrong way up" so you need to start at the bottom for the story.
I had an idea to write the whole thing start to finish, as the start was on this forum in many many sections, so you'll need to search to get it all. Goodness knows where it all is.
Mick, I'm wading through your blogs and loving them. What a truly amazing achievement to do on a Chopper. I can only imagine how hard it was to climb on that with having one as a kid and always being the last up a hill. It was the coolest bike to have though.

I really appreciate you sharing this with me/us.

The route i have mapped out is something i mapped in cycle.travel using the LEJOG Sustrans book. Then i imported Royston Woods' E-to-E GPX files and used some of that to iron out some of the big deviations, and i have now ironed out more using suggestions here. What i am trying to arrive at in my route is a combination of less traffic, backroads, flatter route, scenic. Not too much to ask :lol: Do you have your own full GPX of the ideal route you could share? Would you recommend going up through the corridor through Edinburgh or Glasgow? My route is only Glasgow because that's Sustrans and i have the offer of a shower, meal and bed there. I have a lot of time to work on this route, so no hurry.
plook

Post by plook »

Lilyf wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 1:39pm These are the steps alongside the railway line at Invershin (after approaching on a grassy, muddy for us when we did it, track).
There is also another flight of steps at the far end.
It was a case of unloading everything off the bikes to get them down the steps, reloading to push along the level platform, and then unloading again at the far end to get everything down the next flight.
It had rained when we did it, which made it even more dodgy, and pretty grim for anyone wearing cleated shoes.
The main road which we left and then rejoined wasn’t busy anyway!
In our opinion this stretch of cycle route 1 is a pointless and dangerous diversion.
028E973B-2F5D-4ADC-B8E8-90EC560C0100.jpeg.
Thank you. I have re-mapped to avoid that now. I looked at StreetMaps and the road looks fine.
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

We started riding to Lands End from Penzance station along the A30 mid afternoon on Sep 9th last year, it was so busy that we consulted the map to reroute. We returned to Penzance via St Buryan which was much more pleasant. If you're starting from the end in the morning then you'll be going against the tourist flow so the A30 would probably be fine.
plook

Post by plook »

AlanInBangor wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 9:36am We started riding to Lands End from Penzance station along the A30 mid afternoon on Sep 9th last year, it was so busy that we consulted the map to reroute. We returned to Penzance via St Buryan which was much more pleasant. If you're starting from the end in the morning then you'll be going against the tourist flow so the A30 would probably be fine.
Thanks Alan. I’ve discussed with my cycling buddy and he would prefer that part to be backroads. Your name reminds me that we did the Lon Las Cymru before lockdown and had to finish in Bangor as I got campylobacter from swimming in a river downstream from a poultry farm the day after heavy rain. Tough journey home with that. Three weeks to recover fully.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lilyf wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 1:39pmIn our opinion this stretch of cycle route 1 is a pointless and dangerous diversion.
I agree, here's a little background info.
When the route was drawn up by Sustrans there was a Youth Hostel in Carbisdale Castle on the west side of the river so it made sense to have NCN 1 passing close to the hostel. Wind on a few years and the castle ceased to be a YH and also Sustrans decided to terminate NCN 1 at Tain. Unfortunately these changes leave us with a lot of outdated maps, guides and ride reports still in circulation which misinform and confuse the present day cycle tourist.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

plook wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 9:25pm
nico36 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 6:16pm Looks a top route, the A9 cycle route is a great way to do it up to Inverness. Perhaps the only little bit worth a second glance is going through the centre of Manchester, but it should be interesting anyway. Nice work and good luck :)
Thank you. Yes, just reviewed Manchester and there is no real alternative. To punt over to the east and head more in the direction of the Hebdon would add too many miles. I think it will be mid day and mid week as we pass through Manchester.
You could cycle through much of Manchester along the canal paths. Have a look at the ordnance survey maps.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

AlanInBangor wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 9:36am We started riding to Lands End from Penzance station along the A30 mid afternoon on Sep 9th last year, it was so busy that we consulted the map to reroute.
I've ridden that road many times in the last few years and never had an issue, and I don't always ride End2End! :D

I've been on just about every single road in Cornwall, and visited every Cornish parish church.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Deffo use Mick F route out of Cornwall best route imho.

Also Robs passage although I didn't use it as another CTC type said follow me which I did for the company and we managed to hook onto the back of a club ride!

From thier I went Burnham on sea wsm clevedon avonmouth bridge, 7 bridge, a49. Wirral, A6 Glasgow, a9.

But on your schedule I'd go further west through Wales. A6 was fine but I'd go west again into lakes, then east to Edinburgh, cairngorms, ballater, Altanaharra, jog.