Campag 11 speed inter-compatability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
martinn

Campag 11 speed inter-compatability

Post by martinn »

Hi all,

I have an aging athena 11 speed set up, works great. I have "bounced the bike" a few times, at low speed, and the shifters and rear derailleur are looking a little battered. The crank arms have an area where I have worn the black off with my heels so id like to replace that as well. The chain rings are also needing replacement again (5 arm). I replaced the front derailluer a while back, after a bike shop servcied the system and put a quicklink in the chain, which jammed in and destroyed the front mech.
Now Athena is no more, and I cant see any NOS items for sale.
New, Chorus is 12 speed, so thats out
Centaur is 11 speed, so I have assumed that would work fine, if I replaced the rear derailleaur and the rear cassette with a slight wider one, 11-32 (Im getting old, and Ive stopped getting faster on the hills!).
Now could I use centaur 4 arm cranks? as long as I changed the BB to ultra torque?
If I could find a NOS chorus 11 speed would that work?
And apart from SPA, whom I have ordered a stronglight Campag compatable chain ring from, any ideas where I could source a 11 speed chainring, with 5 arm (with one hidden)?

Many thanks
Martin
NickJP

Re: Campag 11 speed inter-compatability

Post by NickJP »

Campagnolo changed their 11-speed cable pull around 2015, so you may need to find an 11s RD of the correct vintage to have it work with your existing shifters.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Thanks Nick, i believe my shifters are from 2015, so hopefully it will all work.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I would google to try to establish compatibility before ordering an RD. For example, at https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-centa ... derailleur, in response to a question about compatibility with Athena shifters, the response from Wiggle is that the two are not compatible.
hamster

Post by hamster »

For chainrings, try Ribble, Condor, Mercian or Sigma Sports.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Thanks Hamster,
I hadnt thought of Condor or Mercian as places to look for Campag. Interestingly I found a tripple rear derailleur on the condor site, which I presume is simply a long cage one

Martin
martinn

Post by martinn »

Thanks for the help so far.

I am still struggling to get a Chainring in black. Actually struggling to find any colour/ tooth combination of chainring that would fit the current chainset. As I am planning to strip the bike right down, I was thinking, would it make life simpler to simply get a new chainset in the 4 arm combination? (I am aware that would be ultra torque soId need to change the cups)

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Martin
martinn

Post by martinn »

Update for this thread just in case anyone else has the same questions.

I bought a NOS Athena triple rear derailleur, which does indeed have a longer cage.
I used an Centaur 11 speed 11-32 rear cassette.
Using a Chorus 11 speed chain
The front set up is a 52/36 NOS Athena chainrings. (I found this on sprockets UK site)
The shifters are I believe 2015, and have the thumb changer angled downwards

If you set this up as per the way campag recommends you set up their systems, it works very well.
Its close to being maxed out, and i didnt remove any links from the chain, and after 2 months is shifting flawlessly.

So that should give me at least another 3 years before the front ring wears out again and I need to try to source another.....

Martin