JOG to Inverness

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
plook

JOG to Inverness

Post by plook »

I'm doing LEJOG next May/June and plan to cycle back to Inverness because I want a bit of flexibility on when to end without having to book a train from Wick or Thurso. How many days should i allow to cycle back to Inverness and what time train should i aim for which would not include a massive stopover in Edinburgh? My destination would be Sheffield, via Doncaster. Just trying to sort the logistics well in advance as i really hate the train part of bike tours. Last year i got the train to Inverness for the Badger Divide and they rushed me so much to stow my bike that i snagged the brake hose (off road bike) which failed on the descent of the Corrieyairack Pass. My feeling is two days to Inverness, but not done the route and thought i'd tap into expert experience here. I know there are bike taxis for £350 but I'd rather walk back on my eyelashes than pay that.
PH

Re: JOG to Inverness

Post by PH »

I've done Inverness to/from Derby several times by train, traveling south I'm aiming to leave Inverness close to midday, it's about a nine hour trip, connections in Edinburgh have always been less than an hour. You'll be boarding both those trains at departure, which is usually less stressful than at an intermediate station. I don't think you'll need to change Doncaster, my Derby train always stops in Sheffield.
How long to take to ride to Inverness is up to you, I wouldn't want to go back the same way I'd come. Alternatively, you could ride part way, there's a few more trains once you get further south, we caught train from Lairg once when the weather was foul, still had to book a cycle space but did this via facebook as the station is unmanned. To give maximum flexibility, you could plan to arrive in Inverness the day before, there's plenty to see and do, if you're camping there's a site at the sports centre in town.

As a complete alternative - From JoG get the evening foot ferry to Orkney, have a leisurely ride to Kirkwall, overnight ferry to Aberdeen, direct train to Sheffield. I haven't done this yet, though other posters here have and it's been on my to do list for a while.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

plook wrote: 1 Jan 2023, 3:41pm I'm doing LEJOG next May/June and plan to cycle back to Inverness because I want a bit of flexibility on when to end without having to book a train from Wick or Thurso. How many days should i allow to cycle back to Inverness and what time train should i aim for which would not include a massive stopover in Edinburgh?
It's 120 miles back to Inverness via the A9 which has a (highly variable) cycle track for some of its length but which is otherwise a horrible piece of road. You could smash it in a day but it won't be pleasant.

Going back via alternatives such as back to Tongue / Bettyhill then down the middle (via Altnaharra) is about 165 miles so 2 days. Lairg or Bonar Bridge both make a good stop off points for that.

The train from Wick is actually quite nice. About 4hrs but decent scenery for a lot of that. Last time I took it, there were 2 services a day an dit was pretty cheap. It's heavily subsidised from up there.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Two days.
A99 to Latheron and then on the A9.

Turn off though Tain onto the Old A9, and then off the A9 again onto the Old A9 via Invergordon, Alness and Evanton. Then Dingwall, Muir of Ord, Beauly and into Inverness.

The closer you get to Inverness, the worst the modern A9 is ......... so my route is a good one.
Mick F. Cornwall
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

We did it in 3 days on LEJoG (Overnighting Invershin and Bettyhill) but being fitter now and given its 160miles if I did it again I'd do it in 2 days and stay at the Crask Inn which is halfway pretty much.
Our route avoided Tongue, instead we used the B873 between Bettyhill and Altnaharra. Incidentally the route cycle.travel uses is pretty much exactly ours, we actually went into North Kessock to stay off the noisy A9 cyclepath and get bridge photos. Route here:- https://cycle.travel/map/journey/386361
Ron

Post by Ron »

There is the option of using the Nigg-Cromarty Ferry, to bypass the A9 between Tain and Inverness, but the service is seasonal so check ferry start of season date nearer the time.
nico36

Post by nico36 »

Don't go on the A9 - go back Thurso to Altnaharra and then over the Crask on the quiet road back to Inverness via Bonar Bridge.

The A9 is lethal between Thurso/Wick etc.
MyLejog

Post by MyLejog »

Have you considered carrying on to Orkney and then getting the overnight ferry back to Aberdeen?
The John O'Groats ferry to Orkney leaves John O'Groats pier and the ride to Kirkwall is about 20 miles.
The cost of the ferry is cheap and I found it a great end to the journey.
plook

Post by plook »

PH wrote: 1 Jan 2023, 4:40pm I've done Inverness to/from Derby several times by train, traveling south I'm aiming to leave Inverness close to midday, it's about a nine hour trip, connections in Edinburgh have always been less than an hour. You'll be boarding both those trains at departure, which is usually less stressful than at an intermediate station. I don't think you'll need to change Doncaster, my Derby train always stops in Sheffield.
How long to take to ride to Inverness is up to you, I wouldn't want to go back the same way I'd come. Alternatively, you could ride part way, there's a few more trains once you get further south, we caught train from Lairg once when the weather was foul, still had to book a cycle space but did this via facebook as the station is unmanned. To give maximum flexibility, you could plan to arrive in Inverness the day before, there's plenty to see and do, if you're camping there's a site at the sports centre in town.

As a complete alternative - From JoG get the evening foot ferry to Orkney, have a leisurely ride to Kirkwall, overnight ferry to Aberdeen, direct train to Sheffield. I haven't done this yet, though other posters here have and it's been on my to do list for a while.
Thank you very much for these great suggestions. That's good to know about the Sheffield part. I'm just remembering that I took the LNER to Doncaster last June because i ended up in Glasgow at the end of the Badger Divide. I totally agree on not wanting to go back the same way, which is why i'm looking at the Nigg to Cromerty route.
plook

Post by plook »

rareposter wrote: 1 Jan 2023, 7:26pm
plook wrote: 1 Jan 2023, 3:41pm I'm doing LEJOG next May/June and plan to cycle back to Inverness because I want a bit of flexibility on when to end without having to book a train from Wick or Thurso. How many days should i allow to cycle back to Inverness and what time train should i aim for which would not include a massive stopover in Edinburgh?
It's 120 miles back to Inverness via the A9 which has a (highly variable) cycle track for some of its length but which is otherwise a horrible piece of road. You could smash it in a day but it won't be pleasant.

Going back via alternatives such as back to Tongue / Bettyhill then down the middle (via Altnaharra) is about 165 miles so 2 days. Lairg or Bonar Bridge both make a good stop off points for that.

The train from Wick is actually quite nice. About 4hrs but decent scenery for a lot of that. Last time I took it, there were 2 services a day an dit was pretty cheap. It's heavily subsidised from up there.
Thank you. That A9 sounds hideous. That's really good to know about the Wick train. I might end up doing that to stay with my cycling friend who does not want to cycle back to Inverness.
plook

Post by plook »

Mick F wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 9:53am Two days.
A99 to Latheron and then on the A9.

Turn off though Tain onto the Old A9, and then off the A9 again onto the Old A9 via Invergordon, Alness and Evanton. Then Dingwall, Muir of Ord, Beauly and into Inverness.

The closer you get to Inverness, the worst the modern A9 is ......... so my route is a good one.
Thank you Mick. I have this info saved and plotted as an option
plook

Post by plook »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 3:12pm We did it in 3 days on LEJoG (Overnighting Invershin and Bettyhill) but being fitter now and given its 160miles if I did it again I'd do it in 2 days and stay at the Crask Inn which is halfway pretty much.
Our route avoided Tongue, instead we used the B873 between Bettyhill and Altnaharra. Incidentally the route cycle.travel uses is pretty much exactly ours, we actually went into North Kessock to stay off the noisy A9 cyclepath and get bridge photos. Route here:- https://cycle.travel/map/journey/386361
Thank you very much for that. Added to my options.
plook

Post by plook »

Ron wrote: 3 Jan 2023, 12:05am There is the option of using the Nigg-Cromarty Ferry, to bypass the A9 between Tain and Inverness, but the service is seasonal so check ferry start of season date nearer the time.
That's the route i had in mind. I have just emailed the operator for a timetable.
plook

Post by plook »

nico36 wrote: 3 Jan 2023, 5:59am Don't go on the A9 - go back Thurso to Altnaharra and then over the Crask on the quiet road back to Inverness via Bonar Bridge.

The A9 is lethal between Thurso/Wick etc.
I really appreciate this advice. This is my plotted route to avoid going back the same way i came, though that A9 rom Lybster may be horrible. I might end up on the train from Wick.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/384208
plook

Post by plook »

MyLejog wrote: 4 Jan 2023, 10:17am Have you considered carrying on to Orkney and then getting the overnight ferry back to Aberdeen?
The John O'Groats ferry to Orkney leaves John O'Groats pier and the ride to Kirkwall is about 20 miles.
The cost of the ferry is cheap and I found it a great end to the journey.
That's a good idea and would add a lot of extra adventure. My only concern is that last summer my cycling buddy or this LEJOG did the outer Hebrides and was stuck or days due to bad weather and ferry cancelations. Each time i have mentioned ferry routes for this LEJOG (like Androssan to Cambeltown) he has said no. I might return for a solo trip of island hopping.