Tennis Elbow and cycling

plook

Re: Tennis Elbow and cycling

Post by plook »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Jan 2023, 1:11pm
plook wrote: 5 Jan 2023, 9:31amI turned 60 in September and an older friend told me a few years ago that when i did my wheels would start falling off. I have always been fit, active and health-conscious with my nutrition and this makes me really feel that i can't take it for granted and must take extra care with wellness.
I think mine occurred because my arms had become so weak and wasted through inactivity.
I think that’s it. I had a covid period of doing nothing and then I went at it in the garden chopping wood, big hedge with faulty trimmer that required more effort, then laid a York paving stone path. I think I see it now…
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

About 30 years ago I had this, brought on by renovating an old house. I saw my GP and he sent me to see the consultant.
In those days I had private health cover through my employment. The consultant looked at my elbow and viewed the xrays and said he advised an operation. I didn't fancy having this done so I told him I'd think about it.
I decided not to have it done straight away and after 6 months it went away.
If I overdo it then I get an ache but it doesn't last.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I picked up the laundry bin carelessly yesterday, it was ok long enough to get me half way down the stairs, then I had to stop and readjust my grip. Aching doesn't sound like a symptom I recognise, mine's a much sharper pain than that.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
plook

Post by plook »

axel_knutt wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 12:33pm I picked up the laundry bin carelessly yesterday, it was ok long enough to get me half way down the stairs, then I had to stop and readjust my grip. Aching doesn't sound like a symptom I recognise, mine's a much sharper pain than that.
Going to see my GP tomorrow, after 2 months of it i can't take anymore. Took 2 weeks to get an appointment.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Usual advice:
• Write down your questions in advance so that you don't forget anything.
• Ask if you can stay in touch by email/ whatever to discuss progress.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tennis-elbow/

NICE summary, including guidelines for referral:
https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/tennis-elbow/

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

plook wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 10:33amafter 2 months of it i can't take anymore.
You get used to it after the first few years.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
plook

Post by plook »

axel_knutt wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 7:05pm
Like my tinnitus then
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

plook wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 10:34pm
axel_knutt wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 7:05pm
Like my tinnitus then
I only notice my tinnitus when I'm typing about it on internet forums. :lol:
That's habituation for you.
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Team Phaff

Post by Team Phaff »

Saw your letter re Tennis Elbow in Cycling UK June/July.
I had tennis elbow & went to a local NHS Sports Physio.
They recommended a rubber hot water bottle several times a day for a week for as long as you can take.
Put a towel underneath to avoid getting burnt.
This worked & I’ve used the same treatment subsequently.
Actual physio can’t do much.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

There's someone called Vickster on Cycle Chat who didn't get any relief until she'd had surgery.
― Friedrich Nietzsche
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I've had tennis elbow symptoms for over a decade. Now is the time seek and appointment
with the local GP to get it addressed.
plook

Post by plook »

Team Phaff wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 1:42pm Saw your letter re Tennis Elbow in Cycling UK June/July.
I had tennis elbow & went to a local NHS Sports Physio.
They recommended a rubber hot water bottle several times a day for a week for as long as you can take.
Put a towel underneath to avoid getting burnt.
This worked & I’ve used the same treatment subsequently.
Actual physio can’t do much.
Thanks. Since I wrote that I have actually seen a physio three times and got some weights exercises to do. Marginal improvement but still hurts to cycle off road. I’ll definitely try that hot water bottle approach.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

De Sisti wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 6:31pm I've had tennis elbow symptoms for over a decade. Now is the time seek and appointment
with the local GP to get it addressed.
No GP appointments until mid-July. :shock: Will try an NHS Physio number. As well as the weights
and rubber band exercises, I may try the hot water bottle (up-thread).
DanFloRo

Post by DanFloRo »

I had this and I've been able to heal it with a few exercises but one in specific was really helpful.
Funny thing is, I can find that exercise on YouTube anymore and it's not one of the usual ones.
I'll try to discribe it if it helps someone else:
It's basically a biceps curl in reverse. Load a dumbbell with a bit more than you would for a biceps exercise, hold it in your injured hand but use the free hand to lift the weight. Then lower the weight using just your injured arm in about 12 second. Once the arm is fully extended, hold for about 3 more seconds.
Repeat about 5 times.

This really helped and I'll try to find a video of it.
All the best with the recovery.
plook

Post by plook »

My slow recovery involves a variation on that, small weight, extend arm, curl hand with weights upwards. Turn hand over and repeat. Was agony at first.