Good rain trousers for touring

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tinkerbell

Re: Good rain trousers for touring

Post by Tinkerbell »

Thanks for the heads-up about Rainlegs. I’ve bought a pair! I’m sure a suitably rainy day will be along shortly :?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I didn't like rainlega stopping at the knee (I don't like wet shins) so hacked some full length vapour-permeable ones.

The simplest way would be to cut the front 'big half' off some waterproof trousers and add appropriate straos and fastex qr belt.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 9:09pm I didn't like rainlega stopping at the knee (I don't like wet shins)
Get mudguards.(they stop 90% of the water that hits your shins.)
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

mattheus wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 9:53am
SA_SA_SA wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 9:09pm I didn't like rainlega stopping at the knee (I don't like wet shins)
Get mudguards.(they stop 90% of the water that hits your shins.)
I have mudguards and long mudflaps, heavy rain (especially in wind) will result in wet shin fronts.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
RickH

Post by RickH »

I got some Marmot Precip overtrousers, mainly for walking but found they work OK for cycling (the fit is fairly slim & they aren't too baggy/flappy) when the rain is bad enough to warrant it. Their big USP is that they have a full jacket-type zip down each side, meaning no problems getting them on or off over shoes or boots (when on a walk that started very wet & then dried out I've even taken them off quite easily without stopping walking, so as to keep up with a group I was with. Probably best not tried on a bike!).

Can't remember if this is where I got them but here is a link - https://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens-c4/trous ... ant-p15933
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Has anyone tried these from Decathlon? https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/100-city- ... 40&c=BLACK
I don't think they'd be great for touring TBH (when I'm happy to get wet legs and just change when I stop) but I'm thinking that they would be useful for the local journeys I do where I'm wearing normal clothes. They have the benefit of offering some protection for shoes as well.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just a quick thought before I potter off to Amazebay to buy a new pair... does anyone have a pair of Rainlegs they want to get rid of - tried and didn't get on with?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

simonineaston wrote:Just a quick thought before I potter off to Amazebay to buy a new pair... does anyone have a pair of Rainlegs they want to get rid of - tried and didn't get on with?
Hi Simon, I have a grey pair, size large, I’ve not used for yonks and really don’t think I need them anymore. Send me a PM if interested.

Cheers, Hugh
andy753

Post by andy753 »

I really don't think you can beat Endura for quality at a good price point. Pretty much all my kit is Endura and I don't think I would ever go anywhere else now. DHB can be good too but quality is more hit and miss. https://www.endurasport.com/
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

a.twiddler wrote: 7 Jan 2023, 12:54pmHas anyone had experience of these on a recumbent/? Bearing in mind that a recumbent has its own set of issues when it comes to keeping the worst of the rain off.
Yes, briefly: not impressed, as the bits bellow the knees caught the breeze and 'sat up', acting as air brakes :roll:
"42"
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Fair point. Air brakes and water scoops!