LEJOG camping

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
plook

LEJOG camping

Post by plook »

I’m honing my setup for LEJOG in June, just moved my lights off my bikepacking bike onto my tourer and about to load up panniers for a test ride and trying a new Trangia recipe. I have been looking over my route and looking up camp sites and noticed how much more they are in Cornwall and Devon. Has this always been the case? When I camp on rides I typically pay £10-£15, sometimes £20 a night, but Cornwall seem to be £25+. I actually like to wild camp and do this regularly around the Peaks. What are the wild camping possibilities on for example, Cicerone? I have a custom route blending many, but just want a feel for it. Two years ago I did Lon Las Cymru and found it very hard to find wild camping spots. In Criccieth my cycle.travel route led me to a camp site that had closed down 5 years ago. The lovely old couple (former international climber) said just set up and help yourself and wanted £2 each. We gave them £10 each. Had a swim in an incredible river passing the site too. That’s my idea of camping.
horizon

Re: LEJOG camping

Post by horizon »

plook wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 9:44am I have been looking over my route and looking up camp sites and noticed how much more they are in Cornwall and Devon.
These are very popular areas so expect to pay more. But that aside, there are plenty of cheaper campsites - you just have to trawl through a lot more because there simply are so many more. AFAIR some campsite websites will let you set the upper price limit. Also check that you are paying by person not by pitch which will normally allow two adults, two children, the dog, a gazebo and a large car. Many campsites insist on pitch pricing even if you are on your own, have a tiny tent and arrive by bicycle - and yes, I've had the arguments to prove it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think you could wild camp in Devon and Cornwall.

Just arrive quite late after tea and leave just after breakfast. I've done it in my camper van many a time!

There are plenty of lay-bys that are secluded from the main road which have a bit of grass land tucked away.

Or find a little bit if common land which is accessible.

I find good man's satellite mode is great for it.

Going to do loads more camping in 2023!
plook

Post by plook »

Jamesh wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 7:14am I think you could wild camp in Devon and Cornwall.

Just arrive quite late after tea and leave just after breakfast. I've done it in my camper van many a time!

There are plenty of lay-bys that are secluded from the main road which have a bit of grass land tucked away.

Or find a little bit if common land which is accessible.

I find good man's satellite mode is great for it.

Going to do loads more camping in 2023!
Thank you, that makes me feel more confident.
plook

Post by plook »

horizon wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 7:57pm
plook wrote: 8 Jan 2023, 9:44am I have been looking over my route and looking up camp sites and noticed how much more they are in Cornwall and Devon.
These are very popular areas so expect to pay more. But that aside, there are plenty of cheaper campsites - you just have to trawl through a lot more because there simply are so many more. AFAIR some campsite websites will let you set the upper price limit. Also check that you are paying by person not by pitch which will normally allow two adults, two children, the dog, a gazebo and a large car. Many campsites insist on pitch pricing even if you are on your own, have a tiny tent and arrive by bicycle - and yes, I've had the arguments to prove it.
So, would it typically cost more to pay for pitch rather than 2 x solo tent person?
horizon

Post by horizon »

plook wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 10:32am So, would it typically cost more to pay for pitch rather than 2 x solo tent person?
No, for two people it would be about the same. But two small tents with one person in each would normally attract two pitch fees.

The basic problem is that the campsite owner's experience of life is limited. Many have never camped in their lives and wouldn't even contemplate it - they're happy just to take money from strange people who put up with a manky patch of grass for the same price as a fully equipped room in a Travelodge.

Furthermore, for most owners, the idea of travelling alone is unthinkable, that is if they ever travel anywhere anyway. And the idea of travelling on a bicycle is so remote from their thinking that we are now talking about separate planets. So a single person turning up on a bicycle creates huge existential angst: the idea of offering a pitch tailored to such a person is well, which planet are you on?

And we haven't even started to talk about the large smelly diesels of their usual customers.

However there is hope. Some owners have twigged (geddit?) that the future lies with healthy, environmentally-friendly camping by bicycle and will indeed offer a backpacker's/cyclist's rate and a suitable pitch. These campsites are real gems and they are there but you do have to look for them (on-line).

BTW, since most car campers do not belleve that human life can exist without electricity, as a cycle camper you can usually get the best pitches and prices away from the herded hook-ups. Good luck!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
plook

Post by plook »

What a fantastic reply. Made me laugh a lot too.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thank you. :D