"Cheap but good" - feature for Cycle magazine

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CJ

Re: "Cheap but good" - feature for Cycle magazine

Post by CJ »

My favourite non-cycling cycling tool is the Irwin 4WR Vise-Grip.
This is a miniature version (only 11cm long and 96g weight) of the original American locking pliers, better known as 'Mole-Grips' in UK after our post-WW2 made-in-Britain copy. But Mole-Grips don't come in such a handy size for your on-bike toolkit. Thankfully the American original by Irwin Tools, does, and can be bought here for less than £15.

Purists will denigrate this jack-of-all-trades tool, but nobody wants to carry a full set of spanners - especially now that most bike parts have allen or torx key sockets, rather than hexagon heads. I used to carry a small adjustable, but this tool weighs less and does a whole lot more jobs besides. And where two spanners, or a spanner plus an allen key, are required (such as cable adjustment on cantilever brake stirrups): the facility to clamp firmly onto the bolt-head makes the job a great deal easier (one can use it to lift the stirrup whilst the nut is tightened).

Here are a few of the other tasks I've used this tool for:
  • I no longer carry the special cycling tool for splitting and mending chains. Partly because you can't reliably mend a nine-or-more-speed chain except with a quick-link anyway - and quick-links weigh next to nothing so why wouldn't you? So all you need the chain-tool for is disposing of the broken remains. Well: if I hold the chain firmly in one hand and lock my mini Vise-Grip very firmly onto what's left of the broken link, I can use this lever to twist that outer plate off its remaining rivet, which then falls out of the inner link. Job done!
  • The 'WR' of Irwin 4WR stands for wire-cutter. It's not the best wire-cutter in the world, but when needs must - it'll do. The remains of broken spokes and cables can be disposed of, albeit with a bit of tightening and 'chewing'. So when my mate accidentally reset the combination on his 'cafe lock' to some numero incognito... I was able to put an end to our fruitless picking attempts, release his bike from the railings so we could all ride home!
  • Bent front mech cages, I have restored to their proper, functional shape.
  • Bent discs: likewise.
  • You know those little pins that secure the slip-in pads of V-brakes? I simply clamp the nose of my mini-Vise-Grip onto the looped end and yank them out. Same goes for removing the pad: I lever up the tail end with a screwdriver, clamp onto it and pull.
  • And then there's the new 'slip-in' pad that won't simply slip in, where the sticking out part only gets fatter the harder you push it. Here I clamp my Vise-Grip onto the front of the pad and pull.
  • Allen-key or multi-tool too short, need more leverage? I clamp my trusty Vise-Grip onto it and gain another 8cm.
There really is no end to the holding, squeezing, cutting and twisting jobs around a bike that this versatile tool can help with. On my first Vise-Grip, I modified the adjusting knob to add a short 3/8 Whitworth thread, onto which I could screw a ball-&-socket head and thereby clamp my camera onto a fence etc, to make long exposures or self-timer selfies. Sadly I lost that tool and haven't yet got around to modifying its replacement. One day though, it'll also substitute for a tripod.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Cugel wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 12:21pm If you was me mam, or any of her contemporaries, you would know that substandard underwear is a big no-no. Why is this? Well, when you fall off, get run over or go over a cliff, you'll eventually be in a hospital or morgue, where (me mam and her friends were convinced) whole phalanxes of nurses, doctors, anatomists, hospital porters and pathologists would tut, sneer and be generally unpleasant about the state of your underdogs or knicks. You'd never live it down!
I doubt very much that - once out of hospital - I'll ever meet any of those hospital staff again. So I'll live it down very easily! Unless dead, in which case I won't care!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

CJ wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 12:05pm Especially useful at this time of year, for a very thin but nontheless effective layer of insulation under your usual legwear (and over padded under-shorts): merino wool tights for only a tenner from M&S. Never mind that they're 'womens', nobody's going to know! But M-sized men will want size L to be sure they're long enough. Since these have closed ends they also help to keep your feet cosy and can't ride up to leave cold ankles.
P.S. I find these are essential under my Endura stretch Gore-Tex waterproof tights (expensive, however I will pay serious money when necessary), which are wonderfully waterproof but chilly against the skin.
P.P.S. As for under-shorts: I use old skinshorts in which the pad is still good but the Lycra's gone transparent or even worn into holes - as I already said, nobody's going to know!
Hello... am I speaking to.... er.... cycletramp's next of kin.. I'm sorry to say that he was involved in a terrible collision when a bus carrying nuns and kittens lost control after a lorry shed its load of bacon all over the road... the bus skidded.. and ..well....
Sadly that's not the worst of it... during the autopsy he... he was found to be wearing a pair of women's tights. I know... I know... their he was espousing the joys of bicycle riding, which everyone thought to be merely an innocent pleasure.. but all the time there was something darker underneath....
..even worse they were the type of tights that my wife wears... I won't know what to say to her when I see her tonight... oh God that terrible, terrible image of all his wiry leg hairs sticking out of those tights >sob<.

....its just a step to the left...
And then a jump to the right....
Last edited by cycle tramp on 15 Jan 2023, 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Can you buy a decent bike for £100?":
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazin ... dLAZb2ud7I

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re those M&S tights.

I had a look at the M&S www and found a couple of things to bear in mind.

Although it prominently says MERINO WOOL on the label, they are by no means pure wool.

Then, there are quite a lot of customer reviews - which may or may not be reliable. However, one theme with some of the recent reviews is that these tights are not the same as they used to be.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/100-den ... p48g4r12c3

By coincidence, I washed some Aldi "Merino" ski togs yesterday. The oldest I've had for ages and the label includes the Woolmark indicating pure new wool. Slightly more recent garments were OK, but palably lower quality and the labelling printed directly on the fabric has almost completely washed off so it's impossible to read.

Variations in spec to keep apparent prices down may not be the monopoly of the discounters
====================================================================
edit

Before putting away those Aldi togs just now, I held a pair of the more recent long johns up to the sunlight and the label printed directly onto the fabric became legible. Pure new wool, complete with Woolmark
Last edited by thirdcrank on 16 Jan 2023, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

CJ wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 2:17pm My favourite non-cycling cycling tool is the Irwin 4WR Vise-Grip.
This is a miniature version (only 11cm long and 96g weight) of the original American locking pliers, better known as 'Mole-Grips' in UK after our post-WW2 made-in-Britain copy. But Mole-Grips don't come in such a handy size for your on-bike toolkit. Thankfully the American original by Irwin Tools, does, and can be bought here for less than £15.

Purists will denigrate this jack-of-all-trades tool, but nobody wants to carry a full set of spanners - especially now that most bike parts have allen or torx key sockets, rather than hexagon heads. I used to carry a small adjustable, but this tool weighs less and does a whole lot more jobs besides. And where two spanners, or a spanner plus an allen key, are required (such as cable adjustment on cantilever brake stirrups): the facility to clamp firmly onto the bolt-head makes the job a great deal easier (one can use it to lift the stirrup whilst the nut is tightened).

Here are a few of the other tasks I've used this tool for:
  • I no longer carry the special cycling tool for splitting and mending chains. Partly because you can't reliably mend a nine-or-more-speed chain except with a quick-link anyway - and quick-links weigh next to nothing so why wouldn't you? So all you need the chain-tool for is disposing of the broken remains. Well: if I hold the chain firmly in one hand and lock my mini Vise-Grip very firmly onto what's left of the broken link, I can use this lever to twist that outer plate off its remaining rivet, which then falls out of the inner link. Job done!
  • The 'WR' of Irwin 4WR stands for wire-cutter. It's not the best wire-cutter in the world, but when needs must - it'll do. The remains of broken spokes and cables can be disposed of, albeit with a bit of tightening and 'chewing'. So when my mate accidentally reset the combination on his 'cafe lock' to some numero incognito... I was able to put an end to our fruitless picking attempts, release his bike from the railings so we could all ride home!
  • Bent front mech cages, I have restored to their proper, functional shape.
  • Bent discs: likewise.
  • You know those little pins that secure the slip-in pads of V-brakes? I simply clamp the nose of my mini-Vise-Grip onto the looped end and yank them out. Same goes for removing the pad: I lever up the tail end with a screwdriver, clamp onto it and pull.
  • And then there's the new 'slip-in' pad that won't simply slip in, where the sticking out part only gets fatter the harder you push it. Here I clamp my Vise-Grip onto the front of the pad and pull.
  • Allen-key or multi-tool too short, need more leverage? I clamp my trusty Vise-Grip onto it and gain another 8cm.
There really is no end to the holding, squeezing, cutting and twisting jobs around a bike that this versatile tool can help with. On my first Vise-Grip, I modified the adjusting knob to add a short 3/8 Whitworth thread, onto which I could screw a ball-&-socket head and thereby clamp my camera onto a fence etc, to make long exposures or self-timer selfies. Sadly I lost that tool and haven't yet got around to modifying its replacement. One day though, it'll also substitute for a tripod.
CJ, I recall your recommendation a long time ago and followed your advice. Thanks for this.
Here's mine modified to accept the useful camera mount. (Redundant now when everyone has a phone camera.) A workzone offering in Aldi. Came as a set of three. Although it has a cutting blade I wouldn't rely on it except in an emergency. :D
IMG_20230116_115348.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bice

Post by Bice »

I am really pleased with this £12.99 double stem bag from Decathlon, to use phone for navigation but without having it exposed from the handlebars upfront on a bracket:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/520-doubl ... 34&c=BLACK
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 12:00pm Re those M&S tights.

I had a look at the M&S www and found a couple of things to bear in mind.

Although it prominently says MERINO WOOL on the label, they are by no means pure wool.

Then, there are quite a lot of customer reviews - which may or may not be reliable. However, one theme with some of the recent reviews is that these tights are not the same as they used to be.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/100-den ... p48g4r12c3

By coincidence, I washed some Aldi "Merino" ski togs yesterday. The oldest I've had for ages and the label includes the Woolmark indicating pure new wool. Slightly more recent garments were OK, but palably lower quality and the labelling printed directly on the fabric has almost completely washed off so it's impossible to read.

Variations in spec to keep apparent prices down may not be the monopoly of the discounters
====================================================================
edit

Before putting away those Aldi togs just now, I held a pair of the more recent long johns up to the sunlight and the label printed directly onto the fabric became legible. Pure new wool, complete with Woolmark
Unfortunately this seems to be increasingly/quite common. Seems to be allowed to headline label things as merino wool and then put in small print on actual clothing label that they are anything but. Have no idea why this is allowed. Slept out last night in some genuine 100 per cent merino longjohns from aldi, minus 2C. They are excellent.
Sweep
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Sorry if this is outside of the OP’s intention but the recent thread on loose ball bearings reminded me that bicycles are very often fitted with relatively poor quality ball bearings and that upgrading them costs relatively little and improves bearing life and efficiency (well that’s what I’ve found).

On keeping legs warm I don’t doubt the effectiveness of other solutions, I’ve found an old pair of pyjama bottoms to be pretty effective at adding a warming layer of insulation and something that you already have is cheap. :)

Edit. I’m generally of the opinion that in the search for perfection and highest quality we overlook the high utility that can be had from lesser items, and particularly so when such lesser items are skilfully used, well maintained and set up with care. I’ve also learnt to ignore the current trends and fads and seek out the old and well proven. Try to always keep things as simple as is possible.

I’m a great believer in the practicalities and utility of three speed hub gears - they have their limits but can also allow you to do so much - and a well set-up ten speed (2 x 5) bike can be both a joy and cheap to run. When the hills are a bit too steep then get off and walk for a minute or two - it rarely need be much longer than that.
Last edited by Carlton green on 17 Jan 2023, 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Carlton green wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 10:22am
On keeping legs warm I don’t doubt the effectiveness of other solutions, I’ve found an old pair of pyjama bottoms to be pretty effective at adding a warming layer of insulation and something that you already have is cheap. :)
Here is some proper stuff for making leg-warming clads, which are so thick that they also act as leg-savers when they catch in the chain and you fall off. No gravel rash - on the lower legs at least. Best to get the biddies out of the sacks first, though.
Saddle making in country-style cycling leg warmers.
Saddle making in country-style cycling leg warmers.
This cyclist is here making a new saddle from a half log, employing a froe. Such saddles are hard but, with skill, can be shaped to exactly fit one's nethers. If a nice grainy yew log is used, the grain patterns can also be quite attractive in the resulting saddle, which will impress a certain sort of cyclist more interested in pretty cycling gubbins than in cycling per se.

It may be possible to steam-bend yew branches into matching handlebars ...... .

Cugel, promoting coppice work for cyclists.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Carlton green wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 10:22am On keeping legs warm I don’t doubt the effectiveness of other solutions, I’ve found an old pair of pyjama bottoms to be pretty effective at adding a warming layer of insulation and something that you already have is cheap. :)
... With the advantage that if you do have a prang and end up in a hospital bed, you're already in your pyjamas! The medical staff will be impressed at your foresight.
slowster

Post by slowster »

There are a some cheap products which I have bought, but which I have not yet used for long enough myself to judge how good they are:

- KMC B1 Narrow RB 3/32" chain. The narrow version of KMC's B1 fully bushed chain has not been widely available for long, but can be bought for under £8.00 currently. I have fitted one of these chains to a hub geared bike in the hope that the fully bushed design will perform favourably compared with the various much more expensive 3/32" chains which KMC make. RB stands for Rustbuster, which according to KMC is less effective than the EPT coating on its expensive chains (the B1 Narrow is also available without the RB treatment). One limitation is that because the B1 is fully bushed, chainline needs to be spot on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KMC-Unisexs-Na ... 07J35BW26/

- Decathlon snow boots, currently on offer at £29.99. The main feature of snow boots is that they are insulated, unlike walking boots, which should make them a good choice for cold weather cycling. The Decathlon ones are also lighter than typical walking boots.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-war ... 87&c=BLACK

- Putoline chain wax - ~£30 a tin, but the large quantity should last many years
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cugel wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 12:02pm It may be possible to steam-bend yew branches into matching handlebars ...... .

Cugel, promoting coppice work for cyclists.
Of course it is!
https://bikepacking.com/gear/passchier- ... andlebars/
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Lidl long thermal socks, as here:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/clothing-comfo ... cks/p58067

seems to me as good as similar socks flogged as "cycling socks" costing a lot more - presumably on the basis that they fit "cycling feet".

With these I find I can wear 3/4 bibs pretty much all year round.

which also simplifies washing.
Sweep