"Cheap but good" - feature for Cycle magazine

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cugel

Re: "Cheap but good" - feature for Cycle magazine

Post by Cugel »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 5:53pm
Cugel wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 9:52pm attitudinal cost-savers ...
Best one of all: don't buy what you don't need.
Cugel, for whom words are evidently free, has hit the big one here.
Well .... mind ..... er ..... this may be a case of "do as I say" rather than "do as I do".

Cugel, trying to hide various naughty purchases in cupboards and drawers, for fondling when the chief accountant isn't looking. I really needed that new pair of tin snips. Oh yes I did!
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Biospace wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 3:09pm A Samsung S5 for inexpensive route finding and route guidance, £15-40 on eBay. The batteries are replaceable in seconds, spare batteries are around £5 and the phones have more than sufficient processing ability, very clear screens and last well. They're lightweight and reliable, showerproof but not fully waterproof.
Top tip - thanks - would be insecure for using online for much beyond map downloads I think but fine for the use you outline.

I look forward to the day when pretty much all phones again allow you to swap out the battery so easily.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Sweep wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:43am
Biospace wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 3:09pm A Samsung S5 for inexpensive route finding and route guidance, £15-40 on eBay. The batteries are replaceable in seconds, spare batteries are around £5 and the phones have more than sufficient processing ability, very clear screens and last well. They're lightweight and reliable, showerproof but not fully waterproof.
Top tip - thanks - would be insecure for using online for much beyond map downloads I think but fine for the use you outline.

I look forward to the day when pretty much all phones again allow you to swap out the battery so easily.
Fingers crossed! There are strong movements around for user-fixable electronics, so there is hope!

Re: online security - get a VPN? Not that I know much about such matters ... :-/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are strong movements around for user-fixable electronics, so there is hope!
From another thread:
Jonathan
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Right to repair is a great concept for simple items but when software is involved unless the code is open source you'll eventually hit the point where the hardware works but is no longer supported.
BBC article this morning claiming that over half of Smart Devices may have no support beyond 2 years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64249388
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:02am
There are strong movements around for user-fixable electronics, so there is hope!
From another thread:

Nice, thankyou.

(unfortunately you've now derailed THIS thread !!! ;-) )
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I consider long life and the possibility of repair to be important parts of "Cheap but good".

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

re_cycler wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:33am Right to repair is a great concept for simple items but when software is involved unless the code is open source you'll eventually hit the point where the hardware works but is no longer supported.
BBC article this morning claiming that over half of Smart Devices may have no support beyond 2 years.
The Which? piece: "Smart products abandoned by big brands after just two years":
https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/sm ... f4o6V6VlE3

and they've connected that to: "New security laws for smart devices: what it means for you":
https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/ne ... JO50M7C3jo

Jonathan
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

In cycling about for quite some time and miles, I've noticed that gizmos on the handlebars (or elsewhere) that supply data you can either do without of just remember are a bit of a nuisance, detracting as they do from the bike riding pleasures. Sometimes they cost loadsamoney too. Even the cheap 2nd hand ones are redundant, really.

So, in contrast, here's another Amazon cheap-but-good buy (two similar ones, in fact):

Shimano 160mm discs, at under £12 each rather than the ridiculous prices generally found in bike shops and cycling on-line emporiums:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-Unisex ... C63&sr=1-1

Or get a disc with the matching resin pads for Shimano disc brake callipers as well, for under £20 the set:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-SM-RT1 ... C63&sr=1-3

For them that has disc brakes, the discs and pads are essential items that also wear out. (Try cycling without them, on your disc brake bike)! Forego the handlebar data gizmo, though, and you may find the bike ride vastly improved.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There was some discussion in this forum of a surprisingly cheap dedicated satnav device (not a smart 'phone). Not a Garmin. I can't remember the make or model. Anyone?

Jonathan

PS: And of course (!) there are lots of maps and apps that are not only "Cheap but good" but also "Free but excellent".
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:58am
re_cycler wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:33am Right to repair is a great concept for simple items but when software is involved unless the code is open source you'll eventually hit the point where the hardware works but is no longer supported.
The Which? piece: "Smart products abandoned by big brands after just two years":
https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/sm ... f4o6V6VlE3

and they've connected that to: "New security laws for smart devices: what it means for you":
https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/ne ... JO50M7C3jo

Jonathan
but for mapping use security will not be a big problem.
I have an old phone I use for that.
It connects to the internet only to download maps every now and then which are used offline.
No email, anmd definitely nothing vaguely "erotic".
Maps full stop - once a month at most.
And it is on an entirely separate account from my main devices.
the ORIGINAL suggestion to use the old phone for mapping was an excellent one.
Sweep
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Sweep wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:44pm but for mapping use security will not be a big problem.
I have an old phone I use for that.
It connects to the internet only to download maps every now and then which are used offline.
No email, anmd definitely nothing vaguely "erotic".
Maps full stop - once a month at most.
And it is on an entirely separate account from my main devices.
the ORIGINAL suggestion to use the old phone for mapping was an excellent one.
I wasn't thinking so much for security, more from the problem that as the operating system develops the application developers tend to want to stay in step, one as that's where their market is heading and secondly as maintaining an application to be backwardly compatible eats up resources. I'm a big fan of sweating the hardware and software for as long as possible, I have 15+ year old PC software still running but parts of the functionality are now broken as they require talking to the vendors databases which no longer exist.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cugel wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:04pm In cycling about for quite some time and miles, I've noticed that gizmos on the handlebars (or elsewhere) that supply data you can either do without of just remember are a bit of a nuisance, detracting as they do from the bike riding pleasures. Sometimes they cost loadsamoney too. Even the cheap 2nd hand ones are redundant, really.
Personally, I agree with you. But for many people, recording and analysing that data is a part of the pleasure of cycling.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

mattheus wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:51am
Sweep wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:43am

Fingers crossed! There are strong movements around for user-fixable electronics, so there is hope!

Re: online security - get a VPN? Not that I know much about such matters ... :-/

Yes, don't trust your online banking or anything similar to an unsupported digital device. Having said that, my everyday phone is 7 years old and continues to receive security updates from Apple and generally amaze with its abilities, you could have bought this model around three years ago for £50-ish. Truly great camera for the age (not so much difference from the Summicron-lensed 'proper' camera even when on a large screen) and easily pocketable (it's a 2016 SE).

However, an ancient Android like the S5 (I use an S4 mini) is generally useful when offgrid because there's no need to seek out daily charging or carry a relatively heavy battery bank, just a spare phone battery or two. iPhones generally seem to demand daily charging and switch on wifi once every 24h even if you've disabled it. It's perhaps a little unfair to compare an iPhone full of apps and data which are constantly trying to communicate with their masters, with a mostly empty Samsung.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:58pm
Cugel wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 12:04pm In cycling about for quite some time and miles, I've noticed that gizmos on the handlebars (or elsewhere) that supply data you can either do without of just remember are a bit of a nuisance, detracting as they do from the bike riding pleasures. Sometimes they cost loadsamoney too. Even the cheap 2nd hand ones are redundant, really.
Personally, I agree with you. But for many people, recording and analysing that data is a part of the pleasure of cycling.
Hee hee, I know .... but .....

I would classify those data-parsing pleasures as something other than cycling. After all, you can do it without any cycling at all. I suppose its the data from their personal cycling that they're most fond off, though.

But what would life be like if we collected such data about every activity we undertake? How many times did I go to the netty and how much micturation did I emit on each visit, with the average for the day and the week? And so forth. After all, such data might be much more important than how many miles I did on the bike this week, at what speed. The netty data might reveal all sorts of impending, er, issues. :-)

Cugel, off to collect the number of seconds and words involved with typing into this forum, with averages for sentence length, word variety, number of colons (and semi-colons) ...... [That's more than enough pointless Cugel data - the forum anti-boredom monitor].
John Maynard Keynes