"Cheap but good" - feature for Cycle magazine

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: "Cheap but good" - feature for Cycle magazine

Post by Sweep »

CJ wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 2:17pm My favourite non-cycling cycling tool is the Irwin 4WR Vise-Grip.
This is a miniature version (only 11cm long and 96g weight) of the original American locking pliers, better known as 'Mole-Grips' in UK after our post-WW2 made-in-Britain copy. But Mole-Grips don't come in such a handy size for your on-bike toolkit. Thankfully the American original by Irwin Tools, does, and can be bought here for less than £15.

top tip.

am sure not the same quality but this set seems to have a tiddly one as well.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/locking-plie ... QAWidgetID
Sweep
mig

Post by mig »

Sweep wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 8:50am Lidl long thermal socks, as here:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/clothing-comfo ... cks/p58067

seems to me as good as similar socks flogged as "cycling socks" costing a lot more - presumably on the basis that they fit "cycling feet".

With these I find I can wear 3/4 bibs pretty much all year round.

which also simplifies washing.
anything with a loop knit inner socks wise makes a huge difference. there's no such thing as cycling specific socks!

these are very effective :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115489533299
jackt

Post by jackt »

Just a heads up that the feature which prompted this request / discussion is in the April/May issue of Cycle magazine. It should be dropping through letterboxes this week.

I want to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who contributed their ideas. I'm sorry I wasn't able to include everything and no doubt some people will take issue with some of the things I have recommended. But that's the nature of these things.

As has been noted on this discussion, there's a wealth of know-how and experience on this forum, and it exceeds what can be boiled down into a magazine feature. Anyway, I hope I did an OK job and that at the very least the article gets people thinking.
IMG_4736.JPG
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the update. I'll look out for it.

Jonathan

PS: In my experience publication will trigger many more suggestions...
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

My magazine came yesterday. I was reading the article, having forgotten about this thread, thinking "I'm sure I've seen these recommendations somewhere before now". :D
Richard M
Cardiff
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

many thanks for update jackt - any chance that since folks on here contributed to it so freely the powers that be would allow you to post the article here?

thanks again.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

slowster wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 9:13pm 2. Cut up old inner tube sections are excellent for protecting the frame and parts from damage, e.g. as a chainstay protector or wrapped around wherever a bag or other luggage is resting against the frame.
They're also used by various military groups as a tourniquet.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

st599_uk wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:58pm
slowster wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 9:13pm 2. Cut up old inner tube sections are excellent for protecting the frame and parts from damage, e.g. as a chainstay protector or wrapped around wherever a bag or other luggage is resting against the frame.
well if you are going to stray from cycling recycling there was (maybe still is) somewhere on the web a simple design/spec for turning old inner tubes into a flogger.
maybe another article in that?
Sweep
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I’ve read the article and thought it worthwhile, congratulations to the author. :)
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Sweep wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 4:05pm
st599_uk wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:58pm
well if you are going to stray from cycling recycling there was (maybe still is) somewhere on the web a simple design/spec for turning old inner tubes into a flogger.
maybe another article in that?
50 shades of punctured inner tube....

'Oh gosh.....' though Sylvia, as her husband wheeled into view his new gravel bike with tubeless tyres ' now what am I going use to tie him to the bed? *'

(*....er..... it was the only way she could stop him from stealing the duvet......)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

cycle tramp wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 6:12pm
50 shades of punctured inner tube....

'Oh gosh.....' though Sylvia, as her husband wheeled into view his new gravel bike with tubeless tyres ' now what am I going use to tie him to the bed? *'

(*....er..... it was the only way she could stop him from stealing the duvet......)
:)
can't find the thing I remembered/dreamed but a simple search for "inner tube" and "flogger" will it seems find similar stuff.

I look forward to a follow up article and a memorable CTC mag cover.

there are of course more innocent things to make from old inner tubes - I have made a perfectly decent workaday belt with my minimal DIY/handicraft skills.
Sweep
jackt

Post by jackt »

Sweep wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:56pm many thanks for update jackt - any chance that since folks on here contributed to it so freely the powers that be would allow you to post the article here?

thanks again.
It's on the Cycling UK website: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazin ... -gear-less
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jackt wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 10:47am
Sweep wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:56pm many thanks for update jackt - any chance that since folks on here contributed to it so freely the powers that be would allow you to post the article here?

thanks again.
It's on the Cycling UK website: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazin ... -gear-less
many thanks.
though am puzzled
had kinda thought that jackt was jack thurston (great books by the way) but though article says jack thurston looks at etc, complete with nice pic, it says "by Dan Joyce" at the top.
apologies to all if am being dumb/insufficient espressos kicked in yet.
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sweep wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 10:54am

thanks again.
many thanks.
though am puzzled
had kinda thought that jackt was jack thurston (great books by the way) but though article says jack thurston looks at etc, complete with nice pic, it says "by Dan Joyce" at the top.
I'm only guessing, but I think that the mag article is "advertorial". The contributions collected from forum members may give it some authenticity but the rest looks like (presumably paid-for) advertising - hence the links to the vendors' websites.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 12:14pm
Sweep wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 10:54am

many thanks.
though am puzzled
I'm only guessing, but I think that the mag article is "advertorial". The contributions collected from forum members may give it some authenticity but the rest looks like (presumably paid-for) advertising - hence the links to the vendors' websites.
haven't yet finished article but what I read seemed very good.
not advertorial.
links are surely useful for folks wanting to avail themselves of these budget alternatives?
One of the links in the bit I read was for a pair of Swedish Army mits from an army surplus supplier priced at £2.50.
I have a certain background in this area - never been aware of folks selling such things being a prime target for ad staff looking for ad prospects.
Of course the entire article could be clickbait for a soon to be launched Swedish Army fashion line and folks looking for sanctioned adventures in women's undergarments.
Sweep