Image display size

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Image display size

Post by Jdsk »

Is it possible to adjust the display size of images?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Re: Image display size

Post by simonineaston »

My guess is that the act of uploading an image runs the file through some sort of adjustment, the image size being checked and changed to a preset if found too large... Maybe that preset is accessible under the hood, via the forum software?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonineaston wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 10:10am My guess is that the act of uploading an image runs the file through some sort of adjustment, the image size being checked and changed to a preset if found too large... Maybe that preset is accessible under the hood, via the forum software?
I know that this is not the question being raised, but BITD, posters had to resize their own attachments, which was a pain. Various programs to do that were suggested but eventually I settled on editing in MS Paint and going for a big reduction in file size in the hope of getting it right in one go. Speaking as an IT numpty, I find the current system immeasurably better, and then somr
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yes, things are better :-)
I usually resize my own photos using a built-in preset in my image viewer, before uploading. I do this mainly so that the image, once it appears in my forum post after clicking the thumb, is no bigger than 1024 x 1024. I often find that images uploaded straight from the poster's camera may be so massive as to be unhelpful when trying to view a detail. I choose 1024 x 1024 because that's the size I would want to view the image, mostly.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Drifting further off topic, the only problem I've had in quite some time was not twigging that the maximum number of attachments per post = 5. Not in itself a big deal but if you attach number 6 then one of the others drops off. Once bitten etc., but in a perfect world, anybody trying to post no 6 would get an on-screen warning.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Please don't worry about thread drift.

I think that there are three scenarios:

1 Uploading from the local device. I need to do some experiments on resizing before upload.

2 Outlinking to another server which only offers one size.

3 Outlinking to another server which offers different sizes, such as Twitter's Large, Medium, Small.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

The only issue I find is that some photos appear sideways. I've tried to edit them on my pc and rotate them but when reposting they still come out sideways. :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's probably inconsistent handling of the EXIF tags. I think that there's a previous discussion.

I often rotate these for other people: download, rotate in Preview on macOS, upload. That's always worked so far.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

re rotation, I've never had an issue. Images always appear in a post correctly. However, I always resize to 1024 x 1024 before I upload.
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm reminded of the plot of the film Blow Up in which the society photographer had to enlarge and re-enlarge an image he had captured on film (qv) to confirm that there was a gun .. er .. in shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowup

Now, you'd just zoom in till you got the bit you wanted.

So, if you had a picture of somebody halfway up Ben Nevis and you just wanted to discuss their front hub, you might edit your pic accordingly before attaching it to your post.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Rare chance to see Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page playing together... there'some great '60s pop trivia assocaited with that film. Jeff Beck's portrayed smashing up a guitar a la Pete Townsend. The guitar belonged to Steve Howe, later of Yes. His band, The In-Crowd, had originally been supposed to do the scene, but managed to miss the filming. Howe had ill-advisedly left some his kit around and the guitar was (ab)used as a prop.
The cast list reads like a Who's WHo of Swinging London. Another great Trivia Fact is that no-one in the whole world knows what the plot is actually about...
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 11:17am Drifting further off topic, the only problem I've had in quite some time was not twigging that the maximum number of attachments per post = 5. Not in itself a big deal but if you attach number 6 then one of the others drops off. Once bitten etc., but in a perfect world, anybody trying to post no 6 would get an on-screen warning.
Just trying as an experiment.
Looks like I have all six of my uploads.
Alexander Close.jpg
Alexander Close 1.jpg
Caravanette.jpg
Motorbikes.jpg
Rhyl 1.jpg
Rhyl 2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 9:12am
thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 11:17am Drifting further off topic, the only problem I've had in quite some time was not twigging that the maximum number of attachments per post = 5. Not in itself a big deal but if you attach number 6 then one of the others drops off. Once bitten etc., but in a perfect world, anybody trying to post no 6 would get an on-screen warning.
Just trying as an experiment.
Looks like I have all six of my uploads.
Alexander Close.jpg
Alexander Close 1.jpg
Caravanette.jpg
Motorbikes.jpg
Rhyl 1.jpg
Rhyl 2.jpg
Ver good

On the basis of once bitten etc. I'd never have attempted +5 again
===============================================================================

PS - It's occurred to me that there may be several ways of doing this. I was referring to adding attachments to be automatically re-sized by the forum Add files system.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 16 Jan 2023, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
sjs

Post by sjs »

simonineaston wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 6:19pm Rare chance to see Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page playing together... there'some great '60s pop trivia assocaited with that film. Jeff Beck's portrayed smashing up a guitar a la Pete Townsend. The guitar belonged to Steve Howe, later of Yes. His band, The In-Crowd, had originally been supposed to do the scene, but managed to miss the filming. Howe had ill-advisedly left some his kit around and the guitar was (ab)used as a prop.
The cast list reads like a Who's WHo of Swinging London. Another great Trivia Fact is that no-one in the whole world knows what the plot is actually about...
Good job you had Jonathan's permission to go off-topic there!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 10:34amPS - It's occurred to me that there may be several ways of doing this. I was referring to adding attachments to be automatically re-sized by the forum Add files system.
OK.

I'll have another go.
I have ten minutes to spare maybe.

Each of those were about 2Mb each.
Stokingway Close.jpg
Wetherspoon Plymouth.JPG
2016-03-03 08.24.53.jpg
PICT0039.JPG
PICT3901.JPG
Attachments
PICT0035.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall