Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
WEBH

Re: Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Post by WEBH »

You're right about the other costs. I've looked in some detail and when you factor in bike carrier charges, bike packaging, taxi to airport etc, there's perhaps not so much in it.
I'll be looking on the positive side and aiming to enjoy my 'cruise'! - rarely get on a boat so will be a more interesting end to the trip than the airport.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

WEBH wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 9:46am
I'll be looking on the positive side and aiming to enjoy my 'cruise'! - rarely get on a boat so will be a more interesting end to the trip than the airport.
It is more like a cruise, good cabins, excellent food and very relaxing if you get a smooth crossing. Definitely part of the trip and way more enjoyable than flying in my opinion.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

A word of warning. I don't know if they still use the "economy" boat but if they do be aware that it is just that and not a "mini cruise" at all.

Very basic facilities and we came back on the last one to get back for the beginning of the school term so it was full of boisterous youngsters!!

As I say I haven't been on the route for a while so they may have retired it.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Also (slightly off topic) considerably more relaxing than driving and costs about the same.

We did the economy — found it fine although spent most of the time in the cabin feeling sick (big storm). The ‘cruise’ would have just been a more expensive version of nausea
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

We did the economy — found it fine
Just me then!!!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I am ridiculously excited about hearing your experiences on this ride. Are you going to take a bus from Gijon to Santander? Are you going to do all of it or some of it off road? Are you going to use the cicerone guide?

It’s been on my list for a few months and although my general prep for a tour is don’t worry about fitness or weight I think there’s enough climbing (plus I always find Spain quite tough) to mean that I’m putting some effort in so I’ll be doing it in spring 2024 or maybe this September or October. I’m on a 75 day weight loss and get your fitness together programme that I don’t really need for my spring ride home from the med but I think I’ll repeat it to get ready for the VDLP.
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Appreciate I'm not the original poster, but his plan inspired me to change mine! My Turkey idea suddenly seemed a lot for a first go, this though looks great.
I've got the cicerone guide, currently booking accommodation, which seems very reasonable. The daily mileage is also not too bad, I'll mainly follow the suggestions but compress a couple of the really short stages.
I'm intending to cycle from gijon to Santander, there's a nice blog which suggests it's a nice ride, hopefully 2/3 days. Although a bit hillier I hope to be fit enough by then.
I'm not usually an off roader, but a couple of sections look really straightforward and with the bonus of Roman remains to look at, so I'll give them a go where it's not too gnarly - the guide is pretty good on this.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

WEBH wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 6:53pm Appreciate I'm not the original poster, but his plan inspired me to change mine! My Turkey idea suddenly seemed a lot for a first go, this though looks great.
I've got the cicerone guide, currently booking accommodation, which seems very reasonable. The daily mileage is also not too bad, I'll mainly follow the suggestions but compress a couple of the really short stages.
I'm intending to cycle from gijon to Santander, there's a nice blog which suggests it's a nice ride, hopefully 2/3 days. Although a bit hillier I hope to be fit enough by then.
I'm not usually an off roader, but a couple of sections look really straightforward and with the bonus of Roman remains to look at, so I'll give them a go where it's not too gnarly - the guide is pretty good on this.
I’ve roughed it out at about 2 weeks for me plus travel time. There is a stop I’ve inserted in my rough route at Villamarin where there is a Hostal Golpegar that’s not in booking but looks open and I wouldn’t have a night at Oviedo. That breaks the big climb into the Asturian mountains and I’d probably do the off road section just after that if one of my cycling pals comes too. Will pm you as I’ve got some extra books and links which you may or may not already have researched.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

MrsHJ wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 10:10pm
That breaks the big climb into the Asturian mountains
Out of interest, how much is "the big climb" ?

Ta
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

simonhill wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 4:42am
MrsHJ wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 10:10pm
That breaks the big climb into the Asturian mountains
Out of interest, how much is "the big climb" ?

Ta
Nothing major but I want to do parts of that segment off road and 95km off road and climbing in a day seems a big much for me when the next days stage is set up for 35km. I think the author could have offered some alternative stops (he says this day is too long in his blog- 9 hours, 3000m of climbing and he did 100km of cycling- I thinK the route organisers and local tourist boards have set it up this way) but overall the book is nice as it sets out the off-road options and that day is an amazing one using an old Roman road through the mountains for part of it (.the bit I want to do).

The photo shows the days profile and also the combination of off road and on road that he recommends (the blue and red bits on the right). Blue is off road, red is road. There is one section where there is only a road option, for the other segments the recommended route has the solid panel at the top.

This is his blog of the off road route. http://www.johnhayeswalks.com/2018/07/t ... -2018.html
He has also blogged the road route. http://www.johnhayeswalks.com/2017/06/r ... ta_20.html

And this is for that day with the off road section in the mountains I want to try, NB the road option looks fine- modest gradients, not that big a climb. Apparently the old main road has been replaced by a motorway so the route uses the old “main” road quite a lot. http://www.johnhayeswalks.com/2018/06/d ... -lena.html
Attachments
5E0673B3-FFF8-4CC5-B1D2-621B730E7E8A.jpeg
Lovecycle

Post by Lovecycle »

I have travelled on the Santander to Plymouth ferry twice and it's a lovely relaxing way to finish a cycle tour.
However, on my last ferry journey last year the price was in my opinion very much overpriced especially considering the price of a train ticket to get home to the Midlands from Plymouth or Portsmouth.
In June this year I will be flying from Birmingham to Santander for £112 and that price includes my boxed bike.
In future when returning from Santander I would consider flying back with Ryanair. Even with a 2 night stay in Santander to give more time to get a bike box from a cycle shop it would be cheaper than the ferry journey.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have no information or knowledge to impart regarding the Santander ferry but I thought that a video of a couple of cycle-tourists that I follow on Youtube might be of interest.

They're a Dutch couple who have been touring the world, on and off. They went from Santander to Plymouth via the ferry and briefly covered it in a video:

Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks Mrs HJ.

I've only had a brief look as I'm on tour and using my phone.

However I think he says 2000 over 95 Kms. Although from the route profile, the difference in height from start to summit looks more like 450, so that's a lot of downs on the up to make it to 2000. Also his figures in the boxes don't add up anywhere near 2000.

His down is only clocked at 900. (If I'm reading it right), which is a much bigger descent than the climb.

I wonder how he is calculating his ascents and descents.
Davesmith3

Post by Davesmith3 »

Hopefully you should be able to see the gpx tracks from his book as opened with komoot

Might give you an idea of the actual up and down to compare the offroad and road routes
Attachments
Screenshot_20230128-210040_Komoot.jpg
Screenshot_20230128-210127_Komoot.jpg
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m thinking as you’re both going to do it before me you can report back on that day- please do the off road version to help my research!!