Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Davesmith3

Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Post by Davesmith3 »

Hi All

I'm planning on cycling the VdlP in a couple of month starting in late March. Flying to Faro and returning by ferry from Santander to Plymouth.

After searching the forums and YouTube does anybody who has used the service recently have any tips please. In particular

Getting on/off the ferry proceedure

Do you leave your panniers on the bike? Or can you store your stuff in a baggage room?

Is a cabin the obvious choice(£90) or can you get by with a reserved seat(£11) and grim and bear it?

Can you doss down on the floor in a quiet place or is that forbidden? I will have a sleeping bag and pad with me.

Can you get a shower onboard and charge your phone/powerbank outside of the cabins/reserved seat areas?

Thank you
MrsHJ

Re: Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m not very up to date on that ferry route although I have cycled to and from it a lot in the past. On Brittany ferries which I use a fair bit I always get a cabin and for me I think that the sleep and also the being able to lie down through the bay of biscay to avoid sea sickness make it worth it. Obviously up to you- I won’t comment on luggage stores and charging options as I haven’t done the reclining seats in such a long time.

Please would you report back on the VdlP as I was thinking of doing it this year but it looks like it is locking into April 2024.

PS I remember that you used to be able to buy a berth in a single sex cabin which was an acceptable compromise. No longer an option.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 28 Jan 2023, 7:45am, edited 2 times in total.
Davesmith3

Post by Davesmith3 »

Thanks MrsHj

Will do
awavey

Post by awavey »

from what I remember of those types of ferry trips, I think you have to have either a seat or a cabin for safety reasons might be to do with numbers of or easy access to life jackets, you cant slum it on the floor like Ive certainly done in my youth on trips to Belgium but those journeys were much shorter, not that the seats are ever that much more comfortable than the floor anyway.

but check the Cycling UK FAQ on it https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/guide ... bike-ferry because theres certainly a thing that suggests Brittany Ferries have a surcharge now for taking a bicycle on board between Portsmouth & Santander, thats £75.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

VdlP?
I'm here in the States and am not familiar with this term.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I can't comment on that particular ferry, but in other ones including Brittany, you often find people sleeping on the floor in the reclining chair rooms/areas. Nothing to stop you as long as there is room and you don't block anything.

If overnighting in cabin I take one pannier with stuff in. If in chair, just a small daysack. Happy to leave bags on bike like on any crossing. Also help protect bike.

As said you will probably have to book some form of accommodation. There are normally showers in the toilets. Again depends on ship. Logistics of using shower usually put me off.

Re charging, there are plugs to charge from but you have to keep an eye out for them and then stay nearby while charging (or risk theft).

I to do not know what Vdlp is.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

What’s vdip? Please explain.
Davesmith3

Post by Davesmith3 »

Thanks for the replies so far folks

VdlP

Via de la Plata is one of the Camino cycle routes in Spain that runs from Seville in the South of Spain to either Gijon on the North Coast or Santiago de Compostela. Around 1000km of either on road, off road or a mix of the 2 .

The Camino cycle routes generally roughly follow the Pilgrims walking trails to Santiago if you feel that way inclined.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

In the ‘good old days’ I used to take the overnight ferries to France quite regularly- would doss down under the stairwell which was quiet and not too bright.

These days all those quiet little spots have been made as uncomfortable as possible- brightly lit, noisy (piped music) or blocked off.

When I took the ferry to Santander a couple of years ago I had a cabin but checked whether any dossing opportunities would be possible but it’s just like the France ferries. Shame.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

We took the ferry last May and there were a couple of people in sleeping bags on the floor. However it was recently post covid and the ferry was perhaps half full.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for deciphering the route name. Here's another.

SJPdP-S and I have my Compostela.

I should add that on one crossing I booked a seat because I had to, but slept on the floor in/on sleeping bags for more comfort. Not all floor dwellers are unreserved.

(St Jean Pied de Porte to Santiago).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Whenever I've travelled with BF, I've had to buy at least a reclining seat. If travelling as foot passenger, plus bike, that's by far the cheapest option. BF crew have always been very relaxed about luggage left on cycles. They don't interfere. None of their business. I habitually leave most of the luggage on the bike and take the vaulables with me, although it's moot point as to whether items are safer on the vehicle deck, locked as it is for most of the journey, or up in the busy public spaces...
Comfort, if you've plumped for the recliner is very much pot luck, dependant on the other passengers in the particular space. You can be v. lucky and end up in a half empty lounge, lights go out, space to stretch out on the floor, all quiet 'till 40 mins out of Portsmouth, a good night had by all.
On the other hand, you might draw a packed lounge, lots of excited teenagers, unwilling to shut up, even at half one, lots of comings & goings twixt lounge & bar, no room to stretch out and some ghastly adenoidal gheezer snoring his head off in the row behind you... eye shade and ear plugs are compulsary... It follows then that a cabin makes for a far better night's sleep and somewhere to lock the luggage, too.
As for getting on and off - technically known as embarking and disembarking, although what that is in Spanish I know not... :wink: there's two Golden Rules 1: keep cycling until prevented - ignore all queues, 2: Obey the crew, readily identified by their oily boiler suits. They can be quite assertive if you ignore them.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

I remember a night ferry to St Malo, no cabin, constant musac, "I Lost my Heart to a Starship Trooper" was one I recall. After an hour or so of that I got up and disconnected the speaker and a few minutes later one of the crew came and gave me a bollocking and re connected it. Happy Days.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

cuk readers may recall the website dedicated to ex-pat.s living in various European countries - angloinfo. The French one had a forum, with one board dedicated to perma-whinges on the subject of BF. Personally, I enjoyed their service mostly, especially in the early days of my travelling to France, the late '90s / early noughties. Back then, it was quite possible to travel cheaply and well on their boats - their silver-service dining was a bargain. Their motto was "Your vacation starts when you arrive on board!" or some such. I rather agreed.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

All useful replies but I notice the thread is headed Santander to Portsmouth whereas you say Santander to Plymouth.

The replies would cover both crossings I think. Having used the Portsmouth routes every year for 2007 until Covid they will all be helpful.