Neodrive - advice from owners please

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Racingt

Neodrive - advice from owners please

Post by Racingt »

Hi all,
I'm wondering about electrifying our tandem, and the Neodrive unit has come to my attention.
I like the thought of a rear wheel unit, seems to save transmission wear.
Has anyone got direct experience of using one? Its a considerable sum to layout, and I'd like to take some advice about how well (or not) it works,
Thanks in advance!
rjb

Re: Neodrive - advice from owners please

Post by rjb »

We fitted a Tongsheng mid drive to our tandem. Mrs Rjb hasn't stopped smiling. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
stodd

Post by stodd »

Wow, when you said 'considerable sum to layout' I hadn't thought of the £2,200 I see it priced at.

I've no experience of that motor. Direct drive motors are typically only efficient at fairly high speeds (which is why most hub motors are geared), and suffer especially at low speeds, eg on big hills. It looks as if they have done some good engineering to mitigate that; and direct drive motors should certainly be the most reliable.

We are very happy at the other extreme with a front wheel conversion on our tandem; XF07. A more powerful one would have been welcome, but the XF07 gives most of the help we want. Front wheel hub on a tandem doesn't suffer the wheel slip you sometimes get on a solo bike with front wheel hub, because of the different weight distribution. And it gives separate two wheel drive which often helps good traction, eg on slight uphill slippery grass we sometimes spin the back wheel and the powered front keeps us moving. (We don't do serious off road.). You do need robust forks, a sensible controller and brake sensors with a front hub motor.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Racingt wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 7:47pm Hi all,
I'm wondering about electrifying our tandem, and the Neodrive unit has come to my attention.
I like the thought of a rear wheel unit, seems to save transmission wear.
Has anyone got direct experience of using one? Its a considerable sum to layout, and I'd like to take some advice about how well (or not) it works,
Thanks in advance!
I'm guessing you're the same person posting this question on the Tandem UK discussion board? Anyway, if you haven't done so already, then how about also posting the question on the pedelecs.co.uk site too. Whilst there is some great knowledge on this forum, the pedelces site has had a number of discussions of motors on tandems although I don't recall the Neodrive coming into the discussions.

The bit about 'saving transimiion wear' - I've never really subscribed to this avenue of thinking. If you are simply replacing your lack of person power with a similar level of motor power, then transmission wear will be the same as when you were younger/fitter (if you get my meaning).

Converseley if you had Sir Chris Hoy on your tandem belting along (or fitted some 750w beast of a motor0, then yes, I would expect greater transmission wear.

From a quick glance through the Neodrive website, I get the impression that their motors are direct drive rather than geared. If you Google a phrase something like 'electric bike direct drive vs geared' then you'll get some ideas as one vs the other, e.g.
Which is better direct drive or geared hub motor?
In conclusion, both motor types have pros and cons. If you are looking for a powerful ebike conversion kit, a direct drive motor would be the best option. If you are in need for more torque, more range and a lighter motor which can be easily pedaled even without a battery, then choose a geared motor.
Apologies if you've already been down this route but I've included it for the benfit of other readers too. As a tandem rider myself, I'd be happy to read about your thoughts and which direction you end up taking.

PS - If you search the Endless Sphere (endless-sphere.com) forum and search for 'Neodrive' you'll get a number of hits that maybe worth a read - good luck.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Thank you - no I haven't posted on other websites - i'll check those out. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes, its very 'spendy' - I'm hoping the quality is commensurate with the price.
Regarding the transmission wear - surely a hub motor won't drive through the chain/cassette, so will be less wearing. Tbh, not a big issue either way.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Yes, a hub motor (direct drive or geared) wears the transmission less, but for most riding the difference isn't important.

There's someone on the Pedelecs site who is obsessed against mid-drive, and keeps ranting about the chain being a single point of failure. It's true, but given all the other issues, and how easily a chain is fixed if it does, not that an important a point.
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Decided against purchasing this for a couple of reasons :-

Several people describe rear hub motors as working less well at low speeds than higher speed due lack of gearing.
Apparently a mid-motor is a better solution. I'm minded to concur. Can Bosch & Shimano both be wrong?

Neodrives are 135oln, my bike is 145oln, and I don't fancy anyone squidging the rear dropouts together. Yes, perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I respect the 50 years accumulated experience the frame builder had.

Back to the drawing board. And possibly an e-tandem purchase...

Thanks for all inputs