Zeiss launched new super compact bino.s y'day

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Zeiss launched new super compact bino.s y'day

Post by simonineaston »

I've always been interested in binoculars and have a modest collection of vintage models, my favourite being the Swift Audubon, which are really great for (casual in my case) bird watching but are built like the proverbial outside loo - perhaps more suited to big American hands? There's no way I would take them with me on a cycle trip as their physical size just makes that idea impractical.
So imagine my delight when I learnt y'day that Zeiss have launched a new version of their legendary compact bino.s branded as SFL, which look like they're pocket sized - and a snip at £1500... anyone tempted?!
Zeiss compact binocular
Zeiss compact binocular
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
IanH

Re: Zeiss launched new super compact bino.s y'day

Post by IanH »

I've got a soft spot for binoculars, but I could never imagine spending that much on a pair, however good! Sorry.
pwa

Post by pwa »

We still have 8x30 CZJ Jenoptem bins I bought in the early 1980s, working as good as they did when new. Used mainly for looking at birds in the garden. Made in the DDR. And made to last.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

simonineaston wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 8:10pm built like the proverbial outside loo
AKA chic Brithouse?

Best binox I ever fancied used twin 17" mirrors and binocular eyepieces. Not the pocket version.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Quite. The Audubon is great for birding (for which it was specifically designed, being named after the famous American naturalist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_James_Audubon). The magnification is about as high as most people can manage by hand (8.5x), the stereo image is good, the colour rendition is known for its neutraility and the objective lenses are big enough to give good low light performance - they're still one of the best porro prism designs for bird watching but at the cost of their bulk.
And then along came roof prisms and everything, including price, changed...
Last edited by simonineaston on 19 Jan 2023, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks Simon,
I never realised the value in such bins. Mrs Rjb inherited 2 pairs of Zeiss bins from her late father which have sat in a drawer for 20 years,.
Off out for a hospital appointment but will post some pics later.
Wish us luck as we cross the picket line. :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I think of Zeiss as the grand-daddy of bino.s :-) A lot of the development work on porro prisms was done by old man Zeiss and his lens-making buddy Schott back in the late 19th century. The examples made in the Jena factory left in East Germany after the 2ww, based on good pre-war designs are great vfm. A lot of Zeiss optical technology was given to the Soviets as war reparations and formed the basis of their cameras etc.. Now of course the company is reunified.
Hope all goes well at the hospital.
S
PH

Post by PH »

I've been impressed with my budget 8x32 Opticrons, though they didn't seem that budget at the time, about £100 a decade ago, probably twice that now. I used to be so impressed I was sceptical that the high end stuff could be much better, until I went to a demo day at a local nature reserve, got to try plenty of stuff 10x the price of mine, the difference immense and immediately noticeable. I don't know where that diminishing returns curve flattens out, but maybe someone with the enthusiasm and the cash would get good value from these, not me though, I don't have either.
For compact, I have a monocular, a cheapish one I might upgrade, nothing like as good or as usable, but I'm far more likely to be carrying that than the binos.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

For compact, I have a monocular, a cheapish one I might upgrade, nothing like as good or as usable, but I'm far more likely to be carrying that than the binos.
A friend of mine carries a monocular, when out walking. It works very well for him. He's not a birder per se, but has an interest in the usual outdoorsy things but can't be bothered to carry a full on pair of bino.s. He takes v. regular walks along the local river Frome and is always reporting that he saw kingfishers, herons, otters etc and says the monocular is helpful, light-weight and quick to use - sound good ! And furthermore, as far as I know, didn't cost a grand and a half !!
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

When we're walking or cycling we carry 10x25 compact binoculars, one pair Zeiss, the other Leica.

Excellent quality, brilliant technology. They add a lot of enjoyment, sometimes help with navigation, and occasionally improve safety.

Both several decades old, and both still supported by the UK agents.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Completely agree re navigation when walking. Totally just the job for seeing about 5 minutes ahead! 'Specially those round yellow path markers. Who puts them there? Local council I suppose.
S
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Will buy - if I win the lottery.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
pwa

Post by pwa »

Our CZJ bins are very well made, and not overly heavy. They sit well in the hands and if you rest your elbows on something stable, like the top of a wall or a fence, you can get a very good look at whatever it is that takes your interest. But I rarely carry them anywhere. I just don't feel a need for them while I'm out. The same applies to big cameras. I prefer to travel light. So perhaps the bins have lasted so well because I've had them indoors nearly all of the forty years I've had them.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's mine as promised. A Leica 10X25 (which i thought were Zeiss) and the compact Zeiss 8X20 which I thought were opera bins as they fold up very small. No idea of value or what to do with them as we occasionally use the Leica but as we both wear glasses we both find them uncomfortable to use for any length of time. Put back in the drawer for the kids to sort out when the time comes. :lol:
IMG_20230119_160037.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cool ! Excellent examples of pocket bino.s :) The Zeiss really are titchy - shirt pocket!
S