Windproof winter jackets are no good for cycling. Discuss.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ANTONISH

Re: Windproof winter jackets are no good for cycling. Discuss.

Post by ANTONISH »

When I was young it was a heavy jersey and a sheet of newspaper to go out training.
I had a Greenspot Nomad for more leisurely riding.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

cycle tramp wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 7:37pm ..no they're not..
Which is why I wear (Shetland) wool jumpers when I cycle...
..breathable, warm, and antibacterial... how can the thousands of years of evolution which has gone into developing this stuff be wrong?
What (if anything) do you wear over the jumper when it's raining or cold wind?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 1:26pm
..breathable, warm, and antibacterial... how can the thousands of years of evolution which has gone into developing this stuff be wrong?
His beard.
ed.lazda

Post by ed.lazda »

cycle tramp wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 7:37pm ... I wear (Shetland) wool jumpers when I cycle ... how can the thousands of years of evolution ... be wrong?
This set me thinking again -- not always a good thing :lol:

If this were true, then wearing sheepskin should be even better. Should be very warm and maybe breathable, but none too good in the wet. Anyone tried?
ed.lazda

Post by ed.lazda »

Sweep wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 9:23am ... there is a company I think which does some hybrid thing combining mesh and merino ...
Helly Hansen Lifa Merino
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Anyone tried?
Spitfire pilots, open-top Bentley drivers, and retro motorcyclists.

Skin-side out, yes, windproof, pretty waterproof, and extremely warm, but breathable isn’t a word I’d associate with sheepskin. Neither is lightweight; it’s as heavy as sheet lead.

Here’s a chap showing the virtues of a sheepskin cycling jacket:
08F08C2C-DD53-4DE0-8DEA-0F52C5F88D06.jpeg
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jumpers for goal posts.

And for hard riders.

mattheus

Post by mattheus »

My view is that if it's not properly raining, any sort of water-resistant jacket is the last resort. Surely we all accept that they can never be as breathable as a non-coated fabric (be that lycra, wool, whatever).

Wind-proof gilets work quite well in many circs; because they allow so much ventilation, especially with a mesh back. A very different garment to a jacket.

One of my "last resorts" would be a long descent, where it can pay off to wear a jacket; but I'll take it off again ASAP!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

ed.lazda wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 1:35pm
cycle tramp wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 7:37pm ... I wear (Shetland) wool jumpers when I cycle ... how can the thousands of years of evolution ... be wrong?
This set me thinking again -- not always a good thing :lol:

If this were true, then wearing sheepskin should be even better. Should be very warm and maybe breathable, but none too good in the wet. Anyone tried?
Wool should be reasonably waterproof if you wear it how a sheep does; full of lanolin. This also means you will smell like a sheep!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ed.lazda wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 1:37pm
Sweep wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 9:23am ... there is a company I think which does some hybrid thing combining mesh and merino ...
Helly Hansen Lifa Merino
now i think about it, I have an idea that Polaris also do a hybrid I think - but I'll be sticking to my system- cheaper and far more versatile/adaptable.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonineaston wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 8:42pm re Buffalo system
for it to work properly purchase a snug fitting size and wear it next to your skin.
Absolutely - although most people are reluctant, one way or another, to follow the instructions. However, anyone who is any doubt about the efficacy of these garments can find a lot of info about them on military forums. They do work, but at the cost of some aspects that civilians may find difficult to cope with.
It's the quick release crotch strap that seems particularly non-civilian compatible.
https://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/cycle-shirt/
Gazelles

Post by Gazelles »

ed.lazda wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 1:35pm If this were true, then wearing sheepskin should be even better. Should be very warm and maybe breathable, but none too good in the wet. Anyone tried?
I once knew a guy who made a motorcycle suit from sheep skin and wax cotton. He was satisfied with it as far as I remember. But too stiff for bicyling.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

If it's proper raining then I'll for go the jumper for my ventile rain jacket, but if its only misty, light or moderate rain then I'll stick with the jumper. My bikes have proper front and rear mudguards (with the front mudguards covering a high percentage of the top of the front tyre) so i'm only getting wet from the rain and not road spray... when the rain hits the wool it doesn't soak all the way through, all at once.... so provided my body stays warn enough, I can generate enough heat to begin to vaporise any moisture which starts to wick its way through the wool (like a sheep would do) obviously I'm in a bit of trouble if i get it wrong and the rain decides to go 'wooosh' but generally if that happens I'll get of the bike and seek some shelter for a bit (which is one of the joys about being a utility cyclist or tourist. If you're audax-ing this method my cost you a bit of time).

I've got three jumpers on the go at anyone time.. jumpers which are 1 to 2 years old are proper thick. The wool is really tight and what wind gets through, can normally be stopped by putting a nylon layer over the top. I wear this age of jumper through the winter months...
2 to 4 year old jumpers have stated to loose a bit of the tightness in their weave which means that they have a bit more breathe-ably but can let the really sharp cold wind in.. so I'll wear this age of jumper during early spring late Autumn and the more warmer days of winter...
4 to 7 year old jumpers are quite loose, and are better warn during the late spring and early summer....
7 year old jumpers are retired and spend their remaining years as cat blankets...
It's time to go :-)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 7:01pm
If it's proper raining then I'll for go the jumper for my ventile rain jacket, but if its only misty, light or moderate rain then I'll stick with the jumper. My bikes have proper front and rear mudguards (with the front mudguards covering a high percentage of the top of the front tyre) so i'm only getting wet from the rain and not road spray... when the rain hits the wool it doesn't soak all the way through, all at once.... so provided my body stays warn enough, I can generate enough heat to begin to vaporise any moisture which starts to wick its way through the wool (like a sheep would do) obviously I'm in a bit of trouble if i get it wrong and the rain decides to go 'wooosh' but generally if that happens I'll get of the bike and seek some shelter for a bit (which is one of the joys about being a utility cyclist or tourist. If you're audax-ing this method my cost you a bit of time).

I've got three jumpers on the go at anyone time.. jumpers which are 1 to 2 years old are proper thick. The wool is really tight and what wind gets through, can normally be stopped by putting a nylon layer over the top. I wear this age of jumper through the winter months...
2 to 4 year old jumpers have stated to loose a bit of the tightness in their weave which means that they have a bit more breathe-ably but can let the really sharp cold wind in.. so I'll wear this age of jumper during early spring late Autumn and the more warmer days of winter...
4 to 7 year old jumpers are quite loose, and are better warn during the late spring and early summer....
7 year old jumpers are retired and spend their remaining years as cat blankets...
"putting a nylon layer over the top. "

Isn't that just the same as wearing a waterproof jacket, or have I missed something??
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 7:08pm
cycle tramp wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 7:01pm
"putting a nylon layer over the top. "
Isn't that just the same as wearing a waterproof jacket, or have I missed something??
In this case and for full transparency- the nylon layer to which I refer is a Day-Glo waist coat. It really doesn't stop the rain, limited ability to stop the wind. Its got a bit of a Velcro fastening and I bought it for 13 squids a few years ago
It's time to go :-)