Rohloff gear changers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
KM2

Rohloff gear changers

Post by KM2 »

I’ve just watched a YouTube video on a rohloff build using Campag Chorus drop bar shifters for gear changing. One side up, the other down. I didn’t know this was possible.
KM2

Re: Rohloff gear changers

Post by KM2 »

PH

Post by PH »

Sounds like the Gebla Robox, I have no experience, but the reports are they need far more maintaining than the twist shifter, which goes some way to negate the advantage of a Rohloff in the first place
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... lack44988/
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Madness at £150
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

It is the first time I have seen the installation of hidden through the stem and head tube cables.
Confirms my opinion that such cable routing is the devil's work. I'd say approx halve the video was allocated to threading the cables....... Very tidy to look at on a bike, but torturous bends to get into the stem.
A cycle mechanic's nightmare. Does anyone know what a cycle shop would charge to install/replace such cable(s)?
KM2

Post by KM2 »

At least £30 ph.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Yes, but how many hours?!

If you need to replace a cable later, it is remove handle bars and stem plus dismantle headset before you even think about a cable.
And with that, if it is 1 cable, you might as well do all 4 cables to get your handle bars/stem/headset money's worth.

On the plus side, you don't have to undo the bar tape (possibly.....)
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I wouldn't do it myself (I went with the Co-Motion shifter on my own drop bar/Rohloff) but that is one wonderful bike in the video. The more that I look at it, that ticks just about every box for me.

Edit - A brief look on-line suggests a price of roughly €7,600 (£6,660 ish) depending on spec'

I will do my best not to look at it again.
Last edited by Tiberius on 21 Jan 2023, 10:02am, edited 2 times in total.
PH

Post by PH »

KM2 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 1:18amMadness at £150
Having watched the video, thanks for the link, I expect £150 got listed under sundry expenses from petty cash!
What a bike! Absolutely no expense spared, it's presented as someone's dream bike, wouldn't tick my boxes, but they've had the vision (And budget) to make that dream real.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

The £150 refers to the shifter bit only.
£30 ph is £30 each and every hour or part of.
It’s hardly the expedition tourer you could mend on the road, but I like it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

How is titanium "3D printed"? Is it milled from a block?

Edit. I've just been reading up about it and apparently a powdered titanium is laid down and a laser fuses it. But what "grade" or alloy is it, and what is the strength of that grade, compared to the grades we are more familiar with?
Last edited by pwa on 21 Jan 2023, 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

KM2 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 12:10pm The £150 refers to the shifter bit only.
£30 ph is £30 each and every hour or part of.
It’s hardly the expedition tourer you could mend on the road, but I like it.
Indeed, I was pointing out that the £150 for a Robox was an insignificant proportion of the build. The Chorus Ergos to go with it are another £250 and they need stripping and rebuilding to work. So, rear wheel and complete gearing system comes to over £2,000 before you add the labour. I'm not going to guess the price of the complete bike.
ed.lazda

Post by ed.lazda »

pwa wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 2:34pm ... titanium "3D printed" ... what is the strength ...
Can't answer directly, but Sturdy Cycles have 3D printed titanium frame lugs, dropouts, handlebars & stem, crankset ... So I guess the answer is, strong enough.
pwa

Post by pwa »

ed.lazda wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 5:34pm
pwa wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 2:34pm ... titanium "3D printed" ... what is the strength ...
Can't answer directly, but Sturdy Cycles have 3D printed titanium frame lugs, dropouts, handlebars & stem, crankset ... So I guess the answer is, strong enough.
If I were paying a lot for a frame with 3D printed elements, I'd want to know that they were at least as reliable as the less fancy alternatives I could get for less dosh. And that would probably mean some reassurance about the metallurgical properties and the way the metal is used to make a strong structure.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

For anyone interested in how to modify Campagnolo shifters to operate a Gebla Rohbox, I came across this...

https://youtu.be/__yvlHTAYi8

I know that these levers are not the same as the ones used on the Falkenjagd but you'll get the gist. I've seen Sram levers modified to do the same job, makes me wonder if all levers could be modified to operate a Rohbox?

I've gone from 'not interested' to 'tempted' in a few days. My current set up (Co-Motion shifter/TRP Hylex hydraulic brakes) works perfectly, but I'm a natural born 'fiddler' so.....