Rohloff gear changers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: Rohloff gear changers

Post by PH »

Tiberius wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:17am For anyone interested in how to modify Campagnolo shifters to operate a Gebla Rohbox, I came across this...
That was interesting, nothing like as complicated as I'd imagined.
I'n riding entirely on flat bars these days, I'm still half tempted by anything that isn't the twist shifter, but I have three hubs and if I like it, then it becomes really expensive!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

pwa wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 2:34pm How is titanium "3D printed"? Is it milled from a block?

Edit. I've just been reading up about it and apparently a powdered titanium is laid down and a laser fuses it. But what "grade" or alloy is it, and what is the strength of that grade, compared to the grades we are more familiar with?
Whatever grade powder you put into it.
It's far more efficient than working with a block of titanium and machining/drawing it. A lot of the Mars Rover was made using 3D printed titanium. Gets used a lot in medical implants too, you can custom make single parts for patients that would be wildly expensive to make in any other way.
scottg

Post by scottg »

pwa wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 2:34pm How is titanium "3D printed"? Is it milled from a block?
Norsk Titanium rapid plasma deposition® (RPD®) is a commercial aerospace OEM-qualified additive manufacturing process that delivers structural titanium parts with reduced lead time and cost.
https://www.norsktitanium.com/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

This is how I setup the Rohloff shifter on my touring bike about 25 years ago. It's been working fine in this configuration ever since:

1. A cutoff piece of flat handlebar turned down to be a slip fit inside the end of a drop handlebar. I believe you can now buy a commercially made equivalent of this, that expands inside the handlebar in the same way as a barend shifter mount.
DSC00749.jpg
2. The shifter on its mount, ready to be installed in the end of a drop handlebar. The mount is secured in the drop handlebar using Loctite bearing mount.
DSC00750.jpg
3. The shifter mounted in the right hand end of the drop bar. It's in approximately the same position as a standard bar-end derailleur shifter and doesn't interfere with riding on the drops.
DSC00751.jpg
4. View from the front showing the routing of the shifter cables around the front of the head tube.
DSC00752.jpg
5. Left side view showing the routing of the shifter cables along the top tube. The cables are held in Sachs twin cable zip ties. The cable holder on these has a snap fastening and can be popped open if the cables need to be removed.
DSC00753.jpg