Brussels?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Brussels?

Post by Woodtourer »

As we continue to plan this year's tour we are co flying into Brussels. Then heading towards France. Had thought of Amsterdam but this would get us further south.
So has anyone started at the Brussels airport? How bike friendly is it?
This is a great time to plan while it's snowing here in Ohio!
mjr

Re: Brussels?

Post by mjr »

I've never started there but it looks on maps and street view like there's a cycleway to/from the terminal door and out along the N262 to Vilvoordelaan to Zaventem station. The south side of the station is a junction 53 on the famous Benelux cycle node system, which should be enough to find good routes onwards.

There's route F202 (F for fiets, or bike) in Doggeweg near the station and that followed by F203 looks like a fast if not pretty way to almost the Cinquantenaire park in Brussels if you want to visit its centre. Or F202 followed by cycleways along the R22 road until Boitsfort looks like an easy way to bypass central Brussels and start heading south towards Waterloo.

That's mainly from maps and experience of picking routes in other Belgian cities. I've not ridden those but would.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Hello.
From Brussels airport to ?
I can advise you, living here.... France, yes, but anywhere as an intermediate stop? Stay in Brussels for example?
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks for your reply!
We are still working on where in France we will head. Mostly likely we will ride part of the Western Front.
How cycle friendly is Brussels? Our plan is 2 nights at a Air B&B to get over jetlag a d to get a mobile phone card. Also we will need to buy gas cylinders for our stove. So that is another question! Recommendation of a good camping/outdoors store?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Woodtourer wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 12:46pm How cycle friendly is Brussels?
Very mixed. Here's a video by some visitors in autumn 2022 which does a lap of the centre. I can post a rough map if you want, but it seems a fair general impression of the centre. You may want to skip over some of their bollard fetishising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKG4oyvBhf8

Best to use a map like cyclosm that tries to distinguish cycleways from road lanes and tarmac from cobbles.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

About 2012, I cycled into and across Brussels to stay with a friend and it was a nightmare. Fast traffic and didn't see cycle paths, but this was pre me having sat maps. Navigating with a yellow Michelin map (the good old days???).

More relevant, I took the metro out of the city to easier cycling roads. It was OK after 9 I think. I then rode to Ypres, one of the most iconic WW1 battle areas, plus the Menin Gate. There is a campsite virtually in the town.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Not sure we want to go that far west before heading into France. But I will take a look at the video. Thanks