"Swapping out" stamps

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

"Swapping out" stamps

Post by thirdcrank »

Has anybody completed the process of "swapping out" obsolescent postage stamps? It does seem cumbersome.

I only had three unused First Class Letter stamps value 3 @ 95p = £2.85 (e&oe) but I'd prefer not to lose it.

For anybody who wonders what I'm banging on about, postage stamps with barcodes are about to become no long valid. There's only a few days to swap them out

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalma ... s-v1_4.pdf
simonineaston

Re: "Swapping out" stamps

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for the reminder.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

ive used mine to post birthday cards in the last couple of days. used a large letter and a couple of firsts to get shot of them. Ive got 1 first class and 2 x 1p stamps left. Dont know what i going to do with the 1p's. (hung over from stamp duty possably) ebay next year perhaps. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 4:28pmHas anybody completed the process of "swapping out" obsolescent postage stamps?
"Swapped out" the few that I had. The system worked, 2-3 week turn around IIRC but I wasn't really paying attention.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Ditto, couple of weeks, for the 100+ I had. Totally pointless exercise at great cost for no reason that they've yet had the guts to reveal (video clips my a**e).
rjb

Post by rjb »

Phew deadline has been extended to 31 July 2023
Last edited by rjb on 21 Jan 2023, 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

point of order... the deadline to use non-bar-coded stamps is the last day of this month (Jan '23). Does anybody know if the deadline for swapping them is the same or different?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Found on mse just now... the last day to use or swap is the same - 31/7/23
You now have until 31 July 2023 to use any non-barcoded everyday stamps – those with the Queen's profile on – before they become worthless. Alternatively, you can swap them for barcoded versions for free through the Royal Mail scheme.
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonineaston wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 8:08pm Found on mse just now... the last day to use or swap is the same - 31/7/23
You now have until 31 July 2023 to use any non-barcoded everyday stamps – those with the Queen's profile on – before they become worthless. Alternatively, you can swap them for barcoded versions for free through the Royal Mail scheme.
As I wrote above, I've already submitted my three leftovers so for me, the die is cast.

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps
We’re adding barcodes to our regular stamps. After 31 January 2023, regular stamps without a barcode* will no longer be valid. You can either use up these stamps before this deadline or swap them for the new barcoded ones.
However, buried in the Q&As there's this
What happens if I use a non-barcoded stamp after 31 January 2023?

Mail posted with non-barcoded Definitive stamps after 31 January 2023, will for the first 6 month be delivered as normal, no surcharge will be raised. After this 6 month grace period, an item with a non-barcoded stamp would be treated as if there is insufficient postage. Any item that has insufficient postage is subject to a surcharge. Surcharge fees can be found on our website.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Does the barcode have details to prevent any new unfranked stamps from being reused ?

Martin Lewis mentioned the 31July grace period of using them as well, so no panic to swap old ones just yet.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

hemo wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 11:05am Does the barcode have details to prevent any new unfranked stamps from being reused ?

Martin Lewis mentioned the 31July grace period of using them as well, so no panic to swap old ones just yet.
It does seem like another Consignia-type fiasco. I'm not clear if that period of grace applies only to using the old stamps. ie Does the "swapping out" arrangement last till then as well?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

From the RM website - although it doesn't appear to reference the recent, amended, grace period...
took some digging to find this in their FAQs
took some digging to find this in their FAQs
FAQ page here https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Harking back to English Lit in my long-gone youth, pace Sean O'Casey's Juno and the Paycock the RM seems to be in a "state of chassis."

I'm grateful I've only got three first class stamps at stake here. And the universal postal service, of course.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

gaz wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 5:07pm
thirdcrank wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 4:28pmHas anybody completed the process of "swapping out" obsolescent postage stamps?
"Swapped out" the few that I had. The system worked, 2-3 week turn around IIRC but I wasn't really paying attention.
Same here. Pity about the small book of old stamps I then uncovered in my home office desk... At least I knew the process 2nd time around :roll:
"42"
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

On the other hand, my printing of the return form reveals I'll need more ink soon... the value of the swapped stamps paling into insignificance against the cost of another pair of ink cartridges! It may literally be cheaper to buy a new printer.
Attachments
aaarrgghh
aaarrgghh
S