Atriall Fibrillation

axel_knutt

Re: Atriall Fibrillation

Post by axel_knutt »

Having already acknowledged that modest levels of exercise yeild most of the benefit, McCann (at 11m20s) seems to be implying that people have to choose between either having the health benefits or avoiding AF, rather than exercising in moderation and getting the benefit without AF.
[Edited for clarity]
Last edited by axel_knutt on 26 Mar 2023, 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yes, I also thought that the second guy should maybe be a bit careful as McCann was hinting that he could be headed for a fib?

I’ve had fewer and lower heart rate events since I gave up oily fish. I certainly hasn’t cleared yet (and I think that could take a while even if I have correctly identified the trigger as fish oil seems to linger in your system). I’m now noticing mild events after an eat a fairly full meal (I’m talking a 3 egg omelette with salad- nothing rich and really large!) so the dietary link seems a possible one for me.

Not helped by getting Covid when I went to hospital- my heart went crazy the first day of Covid- running at about 150 bpm much of the time, that seems to have cleared now but I’m giving it a bit of time before hitting the gym and sticking to dog walking. I think that getting the Fitbit has been mostly good but has made me a bit obsessed with the data!
You can probably see which picture is the Covid day v today where I’m improving- an odd peak during the night and one after my lunch plus a bit of dog walking morning and afternoon and no a fib reports from my Fitbit this week. The tests look like they’ll be happening in May.- I’m kind of hoping there’ll be nothing to see by then but obviously I’m keen to get my heart checked out.
Attachments
136C192D-4891-48EF-8821-012A9199AA60.jpeg
C3FE9A14-F397-437E-98CB-7E3321E0B027.jpeg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What struck me was this clear pronouncement.
there's a ceiling effect to the amount of exercise... and actually if you can get up to 30 minutes of activity, 4 or 5 times a week that's probably where the sweet spot is.
Most people would see that as their commute!
ps Nice to see GMc just doing his day job!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

axel_knutt wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 3:08pm Having already acknowledged that modest levels of exercise yeild most of the benefit, McCann (at 11m20s) seems to be implying that people have to choose between either having the health benefits or avoiding AF, rather than exercising in moderation and getting the benefit without AF.
[Edited for clarity]
I don't think that he implies that. It's difficult from a video without a transcript but what are the words which cause that concern?

And early on it's very clear about the big gains coming from more people taking a bit more exercise.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Just came across this video by GCN done a couple of weeks ago.

As a side note the cardiologist showing the presenters Mark and Si their MRI heart scan results is none other than Gerry Mc Cann -- Madeline Mc Canns father.

https://youtu.be/cX4AUZEwyPI
I am here. Where are you?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 6:59pm
axel_knutt wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 3:08pm Having already acknowledged that modest levels of exercise yeild most of the benefit, McCann (at 11m20s) seems to be implying that people have to choose between either having the health benefits or avoiding AF, rather than exercising in moderation and getting the benefit without AF.
[Edited for clarity]
I don't think that he implies that. It's difficult from a video without a transcript but what are the words which cause that concern?

And early on it's very clear about the big gains coming from more people taking a bit more exercise.

Jonathan
It's more about what he didn't say. He pointed out the benefit of exercise and not to stop because of the fear of AF, but didn't mention that you can get the benefit with just moderate exercise without going far enough to risk AF.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sorry I see PendoDave has already posted the YouTube link to that video.
I am here. Where are you?
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Not a product placement but I have used one of these devices for many years and more regularly since the AF returned.

I did get one perfect read out which came as a pleasant surprise but mainly the best I can do is unclassified reading with the occasional AF reading thrown in.

Obviously not as comprehensive as a full ecg but it is reassuring on a day to day basis.

https://www.kardia.com/
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That's an interesting device, Brian - can I ask how / where is the reading stored and what sort of reaction to the device and its recordings have you had from your GP or cardiologist ?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

As you would expect Simon it communicates with an app on your phone. In my case an Android app but I am sure there is an Apple one.I think the results may be stored on line if you open an account with Alivecor but it is free. Otherwise they are retained in the app. I have never really investigated that.

You can pay to upgrade the account to identify some other types of arthymia but I have not done this even though I have another minor heart irregularity.

I took printouts to my cardiologist but understandably he preferred to rely on ecg from the professionals!!

As I say you get a 30 sec heart rhythym readout which is reassuring.

If you have a blood pressure monitor which the app recognises you can also record that as well. My steam driven one is not recognised so I input the reading manually periodically.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

S
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

brianleach wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 3:45pm I have used one of these devices for many years and more regularly since the AF returned.
brianleach wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 4:11pm I took printouts to my cardiologist but understandably he preferred to rely on ecg from the professionals!!
A lot of the regulars on the AF forum have them, they're very popular but I don't know how many of them get much change out of the doctor.
― Friedrich Nietzsche
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

A lot of the regulars on the AF forum have them, they're very popular but I don't know how many of them get much change out of the doctor.
As the condition is under control I see the cardiologist yearly and the gp probably less frequently so it is really for my own interest.

After several years I know what my "normal" rhythm looks like so I could spot any major change I suppose.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I imagine a lot of us trying hard to capture what we see as relevant episodes. My handful of ecgs have of course captured 3 minutes-ish of perfect sinus rhythm. As has been noted above, it's the times when the rhythm isn't perfect that's we're more interested in !
S
softlips

Post by softlips »

brianleach wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 3:45pm Not a product placement but I have used one of these devices for many years and more regularly since the AF returned.

I did get one perfect read out which came as a pleasant surprise but mainly the best I can do is unclassified reading with the occasional AF reading thrown in.

Obviously not as comprehensive as a full ecg but it is reassuring on a day to day basis.

Great device, my friend used to runtime UK arm of the company. They were used in the NHS, not sure if they still are.The ECG from an Apple Watch is just as good.