Gear cable inserts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sandyman

Gear cable inserts

Post by Sandyman »

Hi All
Just joined the forum so hello to everybody!
I've been fixing my son's bike because his gear cable snapped at the point it leaves the lever assembly. It went through a sort of short plastic sheath before going into the cable housing itself, and it was this short bit of plastic that was slightly twisted so over time it must've weakened the cable. Anyway I don't really know what this part is called as I wanted to get a new one. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. By the way it's for a Tiagra ST4500. Cheers 👍
Valbrona

Re: Gear cable inserts

Post by Valbrona »

With the greatest respect ... we don't know what you mean.

As a gear cable exits a modern Shimano dual control lever it goes straight into the cable housing.

Both brake and gear cable housing is sometimes terminated using plastic or metal ferrules, but I think not in the case of STI levers as the housing fits snug into a hole on the lever body. Butt the housing all the way up inside the lever body.

Get yourself a good pair of cable/housing cutters for this job because what you got in your DIY kit will not satisfactorily cut cable housing.
I should coco.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

See video at 2.50 for part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OznWnsZrHQ

I think this maybe the part your after:-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/shim ... y63z27000/

But according to the video the part should come in the new cable kit. I presume you would need to buy a proper Shimano kit as other makes may not include the sleeve.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Valbrona wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 10:15pm With the greatest respect ... we don't know what you mean.

As a gear cable exits a modern Shimano dual control lever it goes straight into the cable housing.

Both brake and gear cable housing is sometimes terminated using plastic or metal ferrules, but I think not in the case of STI levers as the housing fits snug into a hole on the lever body. Butt the housing all the way up inside the lever body.

Get yourself a good pair of cable/housing cutters for this job because what you got in your DIY kit will not satisfactorily cut cable housing.
With the greatest respect, you don't speak for all of us. I knew what the poster was referring to and so did @cycleruk
Richard M
Cardiff
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Are these nose caps used in Shimano levers? If so, I wasn't aware of their existence, meaning the two bikes i run don't have them fitted.
I should coco.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Valbrona wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 3:56am Are these nose caps used in Shimano levers? If so, I wasn't aware of their existence, meaning the two bikes i run don't have them fitted.
I don't know about all Shimano levers, but my Tiagra levers have them
Richard M
Cardiff
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Valbrona wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 3:56am Are these nose caps used in Shimano levers? If so, I wasn't aware of their existence, meaning the two bikes i run don't have them fitted.
These are used in the Tiagra 4700 and also in my 105 11 speed levers. They are not in the older Tiagra or 10 speed 105 ones etc', as you are aware. I presume these are also in the other mechanical 11/12 speed versions as well ?
I don't know whether it makes it easier to replace a gear cable, when the lever is on the bars, as it certainly wasn't easy on older varieties.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

cycleruk wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 11:28pm See video at 2.50 for part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OznWnsZrHQ

I think this maybe the part your after:-
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/shim ... y63z27000/

Thank you. Very useful information and well explained.
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

Valbrona wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 10:15pm With the greatest respect ... we don't know what you mean.
We? I knew exactly what the poster was describing.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've had a problem before with plastic ferrules - unless the cable ends are cut square the gear cable wires will work their way through the plastic - Brucey recommended cutting the cable with a Dremel or similar.
I replaced the plastic with a metal ferrule.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sandyman wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 9:19pm Hi All
Just joined the forum so hello to everybody!
I've been fixing my son's bike because his gear cable snapped at the point it leaves the lever assembly. It went through a sort of short plastic sheath before going into the cable housing itself, and it was this short bit of plastic that was slightly twisted so over time it must've weakened the cable. Anyway I don't really know what this part is called as I wanted to get a new one. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. By the way it's for a Tiagra ST4500. Cheers 👍
I am a bit confused as I have just re-read this post and realised it refers to ST-4500 which has the side entry cables. (washing lines)
So it doesn't have the cable cap that I posted about. This part is on the Tiagra 4700 STI etc.
It was the description that made me think it was asking about the cable cap that I referenced.
So sorry and apologies to all if I have upset anyone or caused confusion.
Sandyman

Post by Sandyman »

Right well... apologies firstly for causing such confusion! Managed to get hold of a couple of pics...so much easier :) I suppose what I'm referring to is the barrel adjuster as the gear cable comes out of the shifters. If you look at the pic with it in place you can see it's quite twisted up and I reckon that's what led to the break in the cable. Anyway, would like to get something similar for the side I'm doing up (see other pic). Any ideas where is good? Cheers.
Attachments
IMG20230123190433.jpg
IMG20230123190515.jpg
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Plug in a cable adjuster. Shimano and Jagwire do them. Google inline cable adjuster for Shimano STI. Choose a small or a large size one depending on your own preference. Oil them well when fitting.
Sandyman

Post by Sandyman »

Thanks Eyebrox. Is there any chance of getting one that matches the other side? Is it possible to recognise what make and model that would even be?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Sandyman wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:03pm Thanks Eyebrox. Is there any chance of getting one that matches the other side? Is it possible to recognise what make and model that would even be?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m7b0s105p26 ... -Adjusters
Nu-Fogey