shimano rotor fake or not ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rareposter

Re: shimano rotor fake or not ?

Post by rareposter »

Why do people do this - post a single hyperlink with zero explanation as to where that link leads to, what it's supposed to show, what the poster's own opinion is of it, what they're seeking from posting it...?!

OK, the title gives some idea that it's probably a picture of a disc rotor but a lot of people on here will not click on random links without an explanation of what they're supposed to be seeing or the advice they're supposed to be giving...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

First posts like this always make me suspicious of the poster's reason.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

rareposter wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 8:29am Why do people do this - post a single hyperlink with zero explanation as to where that link leads to, what it's supposed to show, what the poster's own opinion is of it, what they're seeking from posting it...?!

OK, the title gives some idea that it's probably a picture of a disc rotor but a lot of people on here will not click on random links without an explanation of what they're supposed to be seeing or the advice they're supposed to be giving...
imgur is a known photo storage site and the title, plus the photos make it pretty clear the OP is seeking opinions about whether the pictured rotor is genuine Shimano.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 8:53am
rareposter wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 8:29am Why do people do this - post a single hyperlink with zero explanation as to where that link leads to, what it's supposed to show, what the poster's own opinion is of it, what they're seeking from posting it...?!

imgur is a known photo storage site and the title, plus the photos make it pretty clear the OP is seeking opinions about whether the pictured rotor is genuine Shimano.
imgur is not known to everyone. I agree with @rareposter. It's rude to just post a hyperlink
without any further explanation!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Context and background is everything... we're not mind readers.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

I think that you've got some interesting questions there. This forum has some very knowledgeable and very helpful contributors. As you can tell from the responses above it would be good idea to give a summary of those questions here.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

De Sisti wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 9:29am
Vorpal wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 8:53am

imgur is not known to everyone. I agree with @rareposter. It's rude to just post a hyperlink
without any further explanation!
Nothing is known to everyone. The pictures linked to are self explanatory.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Yes, people should be encouraged to click on links provided by a user who's just signed up to post that link. We need to discourage the overly-cautious approach to online behaviour which is absolutely wrecking lives. I try to lead by example: taking a swig out of any bottles of yellow liquid I find alongside dual carriageways. Occasionally, this proves the nervous-nellies wrong when it turns out to be lucozade.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 8:53am imgur is a known photo storage site and the title, plus the photos make it pretty clear the OP is seeking opinions about whether the pictured rotor is genuine Shimano.
Just because the link says Imgur it does not necessarily make the link genuine.I'm sure you're aware that it's quite common for scammers to use fake links?
As it's a first post I would err on the side of caution but as it appears you have clicked on the link and it is indeed genuine I have also followed the link and yes the photos speak for themselves.
If the OP ever bothers to reply then perhaps they should add a little more information as posting nothing but a link on post #1 does look suspicious!
slowster

Post by slowster »

The OP has already posted in detail here:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/shimano-di ... t.1214039/

I've seen a similar query on a forum about absent markings on Shimano Centrelock discs a couple of years ago, because I vaguely remember that it prompted me to check one of my own discs.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

slowster wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 12:00pm The OP has already posted in detail here:

I've seen a similar query on a forum about absent markings on Shimano Centrelock discs a couple of years ago, because I vaguely remember that it prompted me to check one of my own discs.
Did it have the markings?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
slowster

Post by slowster »

pete75 wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 4:35pm Did it have the markings?
All I can remember is that whatever the issue raised was, it did not apply to the disc which I had. I don't even think that any firm conclusion was drawn about the disc which lacked markings and prompted the thread.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

slowster wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 12:00pm The OP has already posted in detail here:

Posting details on another forum is no use to those of us who use this forum and not the other forum
Richard M
Cardiff
andy753

Post by andy753 »

I agree with the other comments. I was reluctant to click on this link! If you cannot see a Shimano part number on the rotor, it is probably a fake.