Why can't a get a secure grip of my new hoods?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: Why can't a get a secure grip of my new hoods?

Post by Jdsk »

Jupestar wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:03pm Have we ruled out that the OP is simply over reaching and chucking to much weight on the front wheel with the body wieght being carried on the arms?
I don't think so.

TTBOMK:

1 There aren't any photos of riding position or hand position.

2 And we don't know in which direction the hands want to come off the hoods.

Jonathan
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:07pmTTBOMK
What's this? Google was no help!!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

To the best of my knowledge :D

@jupestar you need to fix your Google
6D770694-C398-4EAD-BBDE-4DDCF4EC38C1.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Paulatic wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:04pm
I had it on the 'shopping' tab...... Turns out the 'All' tab is more helpful!!!

:oops: :lol:
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 12:32pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 11:07am It's all there in the link/quote in simple terms the man in the street can understand.
<sigh>
This is the sort of thing I expected; I REALLY must resist discussing physics on cycling fora, no matter how intriguing the topic might (intially) be ...
<sigh>
This is exactly what I expected, someone discussing Physics on a cycling Forum who clearly believes he's above everyone because he like Physics....

As you seem to like Physics then maybe you could do some research and then post your findings if they contradict what seems to be the accepted reasoning behind cornering?You never know you might revolutionise cycling!

Or most likely not.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PedallingSquares wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 11:49am
mattheus wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 12:32pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 11:07am It's all there in the link/quote in simple terms the man in the street can understand.
<sigh>
This is the sort of thing I expected; I REALLY must resist discussing physics on cycling fora, no matter how intriguing the topic might (intially) be ...
<sigh>
This is exactly what I expected, someone discussing Physics on a cycling Forum who clearly believes he's above everyone because he like Physics....

As you seem to like Physics then maybe you could do some research and then post your findings if they contradict what seems to be the accepted reasoning behind cornering?You never know you might revolutionise cycling!

Or most likely not.
My dear chap,
Do not fret about lacking a good understanding of these matters. It sounds like you know all the important bits of how to ride down a hill at speed.
The fact that you know not WHY these methods work well should not bother you! Nor should someone with better knowledge - on a cycling forum, where you know almost no-one from Adam - provoke such ire and discomfort as you are now currently displaying.

Go ride your bike :)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jupestar wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:15pm

:D
It's quite a good rule in life to never use the Shopping tab!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 12:15pm

Wot is this shopping tab? Does it contain special cycling gubbins that's irresistible, highly functional and inexpensive? Do they have a similar tab for woodworking gubbins that elsewhere costs Far Too Much?

Another thought hoves into view over the conceptualist-horizon! Is there a special tab for finding dafties on the internet, ripe for teasing or even a light goad? :-)

Cugel, well behind on new-fangled gubbins, especially the virtual sort.

PS Gripping the hoods may be counter-productive to the best techniques for applying the brakes. I've always found that gripping the brake levers with just the right amount of gripperiness is the best method for not crashing into things.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cugel wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 12:50pm

Wot is this shopping tab?
It's what has to be paid, either before leaving the shop, or at the end of the month, or in easy instalments.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 2:43pm
It's what has to be paid, either before leaving the shop, or at the end of the month, or in easy instalments.
I have heard of these "easy installments". Aren't they the installments that become progressively less easy as the interest racks up? Then the bullies come for your house or your tibia, some with a warrant and some with just a pink-tinged baseball bat.

Usury will be banned when I'm in charge. So will shops, especially furniture shops as everyone will have to make their own just like me. It's a feature of dictators that everyone must be just like themselves, see?

I might allow bike shops but the bikes will only be available in exchange for a car, which cars will provide the feedstock for more bikes. Some will be destroyed in a ritual fashion, perhaps with the criminal driver still aboard but released just before the final crush.

Cugel, planning a personal utopia, pointlessly.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cugel wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 5:23pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 2:43pm

I have heard of these "easy installments". Aren't they the installments that become progressively less easy as the interest racks up? Then the bullies come for your house or your tibia, some with a warrant and some with just a pink-tinged baseball bat.

Usury will be banned when I'm in charge. So will shops, especially furniture shops as everyone will have to make their own just like me. It's a feature of dictators that everyone must be just like themselves, see?

I might allow bike shops but the bikes will only be available in exchange for a car, which cars will provide the feedstock for more bikes. Some will be destroyed in a ritual fashion, perhaps with the criminal driver still aboard but released just before the final crush.

Cugel, planning a personal utopia, pointlessly.
Personal utopia, hey hey hey!
I can't get no credit action, all I want is easy instalments baby!
https://youtu.be/sxlIMswUpkk?t=110
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

One thing that doesn't help in terms of me getting the fit right I guess is I have nothing to hold the bike while sat on it static.

What's the thing called that I'd need to buy exactly, i.e. the thing that's holding Colin's bike in the pictures?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

doffcocker wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 3:54pm One thing that doesn't help in terms of me getting the fit right I guess is I have nothing to hold the bike while sat on it static.

What's the thing called that I'd need to buy exactly, i.e. the thing that's holding Colin's bike in the pictures?
Thats a turbo trainer Doff. It clamps either side of the rear axle and gives an artificial load to the bike while you pedal. This sort of thing
turbo.JPG
although there are lots of different ones you can buy.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/in-ride-1 ... mc=8402844
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Didn't all this start because you are frightened your hands will get bounced off the brake hoods going down steep bumpy hills?

I hope you don't think me nosy, but what on earth has this to do with sitting on a bike which is bolted to a trainer?

Why don't you do some of the easy stuff?

Jonathan asked for photos of you riding. **

I have asked for measurements of the bike.

Is your old bike still working? Why don't you have a ride on that and see what the differences are? Even if it isn't working, you can take measurements and we can compare with the new bike.

**Its best to get somebody to video you ....in the supermarket car park (or wherever) ride round in a circle at a normal sort of speed, somebody can stand in the middle and video you on a phone and i think you have to post the vid. on you tube and link it here.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

doffcocker wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 3:54pm One thing that doesn't help in terms of me getting the fit right I guess is I have nothing to hold the bike while sat on it static.

A cheaper option is leaning against garden fence, or house wall. Not AS good, but cheaper; and I did once get some useful feedback on this(?) forum by such an approach!