Carrera Crossfuse Battery Range

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
StevenMT

Carrera Crossfuse Battery Range

Post by StevenMT »

Recently bought a Crossfuse & due to the snow/icy weather finally got round to getting out on it, had 2 rides of approx 20 mile rides on it. Amazing is the initial reaction. Phenomonal in fact. I do need to get out & use it more often, loved the fact it was easy enough to ride on flat/downhill with zero assistance required and cycling at 15-20mph for free, so really only used the battery for about 5 miles of the cycle (in Eco/Tour mode only) up the hills and near the end of my trip when tired.

My query, and I know it is very early and I haven't used it very much , is re the display range. When I switched it on fully charged, in Eco mode it said the range was 34 miles, way short of the amazing ranges I see others claiming. Is this what others get, will it adapt/change/learn over time if i use it more or is there potentially an issue with display/battery? I know I need to get out, stick it in Eco mode & keep cycling to see what happens with the display reducing & the light indicators on the battery too but thought I would see if any reassuring advice here from more experienced people. Any feedback appreciated.
PH

Re: Carrera Crossfuse Battery Range

Post by PH »

I don't know the bike, is that the one with a Bosch mid drive motor?
If so Bosch's range calculator is pretty good, as long as you go through the parameters and set them realistically.
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant

I have a bike with a Bosch system, the range shown on the display is pretty much a waste of time, I don't have it displayed. It calculates how far you would go with the same assistance as you've been using over the last X miles or minutes, where X isn't very long at all. At the top of a long drag it'll be very low, coast down the other side and it'll have gone up again! If you're regularly riding without assistance, all bets are off, you'll get a feel after a while how far you can go. In our CTC group, there's several E-bike riders, using the assistance sparingly, who ride 50+ miles without getting close to running out of power. OTOH I use mine for deliveries, where I'm aiming to minimise effort, and I can run a 500Wh battery down in well under 30 miles.
Also factor in that this cold weather reduces the range considerably, I don't have any data, but my experience over the last week would suggest by as much as 20%.
StevenMT

Post by StevenMT »

Thanks for getting back to me, everything you say is what I had heard/read before buying it. Maybe I should just shut up, get in some cycling & then see how it plays out. I was just worried re the displayed estimated Range left on the bike but it sounds like it maybe isn't overly accurate. I will get some rides in & get a better feel for it. Aiming for a cycle tomorrow morning & it is 9 degrees, almost tropical compared to my last ride!!
PH

Post by PH »

StevenMT wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 9:53pm I will get some rides in & get a better feel for it. Aiming for a cycle tomorrow morning & it is 9 degrees, almost tropical compared to my last ride!!
One thing to note is the distance ridden before the first bar disappears, that'll give a good idea of range. The next three bars will each cover an equal distance of similar riding, the 5th bar a bit less distance or assistance. There is a bit of a learning curve, I'm riding mine quite differently to when I first got it, it took a while to work out how it best suited me.
StevenMT

Post by StevenMT »

Update after a successful cycle earlier! Instead of constantly switching assistance off I kept it on Eco. Most of the time once I got going after stopping at junctions etc then I got up past the 15.5mph so it just cut out anyway. Range was then up in the 50s which was brilliant to see. Last 5 miles was uphill and in to a wind so I used Tour mode to help get me home. Battery at start of journey was showing 4/5 after my weekend cycle and hadn't recharged from. About a mile from home today it dropped down to be 3/5 so could easily have some more cycling journeys out of it before another charge. All feels better now, loving the bike and maybe just starting to understand it better etc.
Attachments
20230125_102444.jpg
stodd

Post by stodd »

PH wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 11:00am One thing to note is the distance ridden before the first bar disappears, that'll give a good idea of range. The next three bars will each cover an equal distance of similar riding, the 5th bar a bit less distance or assistance.
My experience of both our Bosch and Woosh XF07 kit is that the distance ridden before the first bar disappears is quite a bit more than you get for each of the next three.

Anyway, sounds as if OP is enjoying his new bike, getting a decent range, and finding the best settings for him; and will pretty soon know how best to interpret the oddities of the range and battery displays.