"Chartbuster: cyclist rides 7,000 miles across every Ordnance Survey map"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

"Chartbuster: cyclist rides 7,000 miles across every Ordnance Survey map"

Post by Jdsk »

"Chartbuster: cyclist rides 7,000 miles across every Ordnance Survey map":
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... survey-map

"Mark Wedgwood traverses territory covered by every one of the 204 Landrangers and says none of his trousers fit any more"

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Re: "Chartbuster: cyclist rides 7,000 miles across every Ordnance Survey map"

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Wonderful stuff.

“Don’t put it off!” he says. “One of the reasons I did this is that you simply can’t afford to wait.”

Thanks for sharing
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

"Good excuse for a holiday" v "Everyone needs a hobby"
rareposter

Riding all the OS Maps

Post by rareposter »

Has anyone seen this story - a guy rode through at least some of every single Ordnance Survey map in numerical order.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... survey-map

I love OS Maps - usually buy a 1:50k of any new area I visit or tour plus it's always good to see a cycling story that's not obsessed with power or equipment!
Last edited by slowster on 26 Jan 2023, 12:55pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topics merged
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I once gawped at a TV arts programme that included some stuff about the bloke who did "an installation" (if that's the right terminology) by walking in a dead straight line drawn on a map from an A to a B, ignoring the roads, paths and so forth unless they happened to lie on the line. Perhaps this could be done on a bicycle, with a pot of red paint to emphasis the tyre tracks, recorded by cameras fore & aft with which fungible thingies could be fungilated for sale to dafties impressed by such antics?

Not that I'm volunteering myself, mind.

But there may be one or two here who would find such an artistic creation both enjoyable and highly satisfying in the scratching of one mental itch or another. One only hopes they won't be plotting their line through the garden, into which I will install bicycle pits if so.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Probably Richard Long.^^

Though he's only the most well known.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_art#
https://walkingart.interartive.org
and so on
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Cugel wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 12:56pm I once gawped at a TV arts programme that included some stuff about the bloke who did "an installation" (if that's the right terminology) by walking in a dead straight line drawn on a map from an A to a B, ignoring the roads, paths and so forth unless they happened to lie on the line.
Cugel
As above, probably Richard Long (A Line Made by Walking)
However, Nicholas Crane's Two Degrees West describes a north-south walk across Britain following a line 2° W of the meridian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

ChrisButch wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 3:56pm
Cugel wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 12:56pm I once gawped at a TV arts programme that included some stuff about the bloke who did "an installation" (if that's the right terminology) by walking in a dead straight line drawn on a map from an A to a B, ignoring the roads, paths and so forth unless they happened to lie on the line.
Cugel
As above, probably Richard Long (A Line Made by Walking)
However, Nicholas Crane's Two Degrees West describes a north-south walk across Britain following a line 2° W of the meridian
2° W being coincidentally (or not) the longitude of the OS National Grid's true origin.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

An architect with a love of cycling is aiming to ride to every lighthouse in mainland Britain to raise money for a charity founded by his late wife.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64348031

If by mainland Britain he means omitting rock lights, which would involve wet tyres, this itinerary would still involve many cul de sacs, roads to headlands which might be avoided on another circuit. Mull of Kintyre for instance, or Ardnamurchan.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Cugel
As I understand it, straight lines on maps (being two dimensional representations of the surface of a three dimensional globe) are on the ground, curved to various extents, depending on the map projection. So an endeavour doomed to failure(?).
I am happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

DaveReading wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 5:04pm ...
2° W being coincidentally (or not) the longitude of the OS National Grid's true origin.
2° W is indeed the central meridian of the OS National Grid's Transverse Mercator projection, chosen as roughly halfway between the western and eastern extremities of the UK, but the origin is 400km west so that all eastings are positive.
jimlews wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 6:15pm As I understand it, straight lines on maps (being two dimensional representations of the surface of a three dimensional globe) are on the ground, curved to various extents, depending on the map projection. So an endeavour doomed to failure(?).
The straightest line on the surface of a sphere is an arc of a great circle, the centre of which coincides with the centre of the sphere.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 5:51pm
An architect with a love of cycling is aiming to ride to every lighthouse in mainland Britain to raise money for a charity founded by his late wife.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64348031

If by mainland Britain he means omitting rock lights, which would involve wet tyres, this itinerary would still involve many cul de sacs, roads to headlands which might be avoided on another circuit. Mull of Kintyre for instance, or Ardnamurchan.
I bumped into a guy from Derbyshire cycling the whole coast of Britain on a Mercian, he was doing whichever road was closest to the coast, including dead ends.

I saw him at Woody's Top in 2005, then again in Cornwall the following year at Newquay, Tintagel, Elmscott & Lynton.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 8:49pm The straightest line on the surface of a sphere is an arc of a great circle, the centre of which coincides with the centre of the sphere.
Ahh, thank you Chris.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

jimlews wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 6:15pmAs I understand it, straight lines on maps (being two dimensional representations of the surface of a three dimensional globe) are on the ground, curved to various extents, depending on the map projection. So an endeavour doomed to failure(?).
There is one projection that shows all GC tracks as straight lines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomonic_projection