"Chartbuster: cyclist rides 7,000 miles across every Ordnance Survey map"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon Lucas

Re: "Chartbuster: cyclist rides 7,000 miles across every Ordnance Survey map"

Post by Jon Lucas »

ChrisButch wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 3:56pm
Cugel wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 12:56pm I once gawped at a TV arts programme that included some stuff about the bloke who did "an installation" (if that's the right terminology) by walking in a dead straight line drawn on a map from an A to a B, ignoring the roads, paths and so forth unless they happened to lie on the line.
Cugel
As above, probably Richard Long (A Line Made by Walking)
However, Nicholas Crane's Two Degrees West describes a north-south walk across Britain following a line 2° W of the meridian
Nicholas Crane's book is wonderful and completely bonkers at the same time. He refuses to leave the line to get essentials, and attempts to cross reservoirs and MoD land when it lies on the line.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

axel_knutt wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 9:08pm
Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 5:51pm
An architect with a love of cycling is aiming to ride to every lighthouse in mainland Britain to raise money for a charity founded by his late wife.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64348031

If by mainland Britain he means omitting rock lights, which would involve wet tyres, this itinerary would still involve many cul de sacs, roads to headlands which might be avoided on another circuit. Mull of Kintyre for instance, or Ardnamurchan.
I bumped into a guy from Derbyshire cycling the whole coast of Britain on a Mercian, he was doing whichever road was closest to the coast, including dead ends.

I saw him at Woody's Top in 2005, then again in Cornwall the following year at Newquay, Tintagel, Elmscott & Lynton.
I don't suppose you know who he was? I rode the whole coast in those years (2004-6) but it wasn't me, but I did ride down every dead-end road to the coast, and can attest that there are a lot of them! (and most are very hilly). Woody's Top is a bit off the coast though, presumably he was taking a break then, or just couldn't find anywhere nearer to stay?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

jimlews wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 6:15pm
Cugel wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 12:56pm I once gawped at a TV arts programme that included some stuff about the bloke who did "an installation" (if that's the right terminology) by walking in a dead straight line drawn on a map from an A to a B, ignoring the roads, paths and so forth unless they happened to lie on the line.

Cugel
As I understand it, straight lines on maps (being two dimensional representations of the surface of a three dimensional globe) are on the ground, curved to various extents, depending on the map projection. So an endeavour doomed to failure(?).
I am happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.
You are correct, I feel! But definitions can be twisted into other things if doing so serves some mad human compulsive obsession, especially if it also allows the obsessed one to flog his doings as some form of "art" or other mass entertainment for the severely bored.

I often feel that most art (not all) is an unholy combination of human obsession with a daft notion combined with some marketing of a kind particularly appealing to the gullible-with-cash. Much of it seems to entirely fail in achieving any transcendence of understanding in the observers.

Anyroadup, I'm awaiting the cyclist who achieves the feat of cycling every road in that London without ever stopping or putting a foot down*. (Well, I'm not, actually - too busy).

Cugel, with my lip involuntarily curled-up at one end and eyes rolled up'ard.

* Cugel is not responsible for the death or maiming of any cyclist attempting this feat. The obsession and it's foolish pursuit would be entirely their own affair.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

"Chapeau"Mark.A life changing achievement,particularly at an age when life is slowing down,comfortable rut springs to mind.Brilliant.I did a similar trip in 1972,4000mls in 5mnths which set the tone for the rest of my life.Still biking,despite a stroke 6mnths ago.More power to your elbow Mark,onwards and upwards(or even sideways ???)
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Cugel wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 12:10pm Anyroadup, I'm awaiting the cyclist who achieves the feat of cycling every road in that London without ever stopping or putting a foot down*. (Well, I'm not, actually - too busy).
Been done. Well, sort of - a guy who on his commute to work decided to take a different route each day and it evolved into riding every street. This was "just" central London though. And there's a cool map video at the bottom of the article showing his progress.

https://londonist.com/london/transport/ ... ral-london
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

rareposter wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 3:30pm
Cugel wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 12:10pm Anyroadup, I'm awaiting the cyclist who achieves the feat of cycling every road in that London without ever stopping or putting a foot down*. (Well, I'm not, actually - too busy).
Been done. Well, sort of - a guy who on his commute to work decided to take a different route each day and it evolved into riding every street. This was "just" central London though. And there's a cool map video at the bottom of the article showing his progress.

https://londonist.com/london/transport/ ... ral-london
Ha - it doesn't count if the lad put his foot down anywhere or failed to keep going through red lights, London-style. :-)

Cugel, not worrying about avoiding pavement cracks when walking, neither.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Great Rides: Ride all the OS maps":
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazin ... qxcyBnC_2s

"Adventure cyclist Mark Wedgwood wanted a challenge. He found it between the covers of 204 OS Landrangers, crossing them all in a 7,300-mile journey"

Jonathan