Anyone ridden over the Timmelsjoch?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Anyone ridden over the Timmelsjoch?

Post by raybo »

I am planning a trip from Trento, Italy north over the Alps. The obvious choice is the Brenner Pass. But, in searching for routes, I discovered the Timmelsjoch pass. It is much higher than the Brenner Pass (2500 meters), doesn't have a bike path, has tunnels and is quite steep (7.5% average). An idea of the route I'm planning: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/391933

There is also the Reschen Pass. Though, this greatly shortens the tour I am planning and I'd like a bit more distance.

The Brenner pass has a bike path on the Italian Side. But, on the Austrian side, it is best to take a train down, due to there only being a narrow road and no bike path.

I'd like to avoid the train ride, though it looks like they are well prepared for bikes on that train. Also, I've been to Innsbruck before.

Has anyone here ridden over the Timmelsjoch pass from the Italian side? My current idea is to go from Merano to Imst in 3 days with a stop about halfway up the Pass.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Jdsk

Re: Anyone ridden over the Timmelsjoch?

Post by Jdsk »

There's a few in the archives:
search.php?keywords=Timmelsjoch

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've done all three, the Brenner and Timmelsjoch in one day as it happens! :D

So, The Brenner, heading north is the 'easy' direction, you climb out of Vipiteno virtually under the motorway to the 'border' then you have an almost entirely downhill run to Innsbruck. My experience of that road, i've been up/down it a few times over the years, is that its actually fairly quiet and the 'narrow' bits are still a comfortable 2 lanes, i certainly wouldn't hesitate in using it. That said, id rgere is anyrging going on on the motorway it does attract more traffic, mostly cars as there are weight restrictions in place.

The Reschen is the soft option, some nice scenery but it never gets particularly steep, the downside being it attracts more traffic because of that.

Obviously the Timmelsjoch is the Daddy. That 7% avg hides the fact that the main climb up to the tunnel is rarely less than 10%, each ramp is steeper than the last, up to 17%! I tackled it some 200km into an event, i'd recommend hitting it as fresh as you can. The tunnel isn't long, once through you have another km or so of benign climb before the top and theres another draggy climb before you reach habitation! Its a tough climb and whilst i did ride all the way i had several stops on the way.
timmelsjoch.jpg
Me climbing the south side of the Timmelsjoch

IMG_20160828_181618.jpg
The final drag up to the Timmelsjoch tunnel, the picture doesn't do the grade justice!

sportograf-86283131_lowres.jpg
You have to keep an eye out for the locals as you head down from the summit!

I've not got pics to hand of the Brenner/Reschen
Hope this helps and doesn't put you off!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

foxyrider wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 6:08pm The Reschen is the soft option, some nice scenery but it never gets particularly steep, the downside being it attracts more traffic because of that.
When you say lots of traffic on the Reschenpass, do you mean motorised traffic or lots of cyclists? Looking at OpenCycleMap and CyclOSM it looks like the cycling route keeps well away from the main road.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Galactic wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 11:05am
foxyrider wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 6:08pm The Reschen is the soft option, some nice scenery but it never gets particularly steep, the downside being it attracts more traffic because of that.
When you say lots of traffic on the Reschenpass, do you mean motorised traffic or lots of cyclists? Looking at OpenCycleMap and CyclOSM it looks like the cycling route keeps well away from the main road.
both actually, its an easy route if you prefer to avoid hard climbing
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Thanks for the info, Foxyrider. I get particularly annoyed by motorised traffic in the Alps, possibly because the narrow valleys amplify/concentrate the noise it makes.