Shaving in the shower

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Audax67

Re: Shaving in the shower

Post by Audax67 »

rjb wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 1:11pm Ive only done this once under duress. Was about to have a stent fitted via my groin. Issued with a razor to shave my nether regions in the shower. :lol:
Op was cancelled in favour of more tests just before I was wheeled into the operating theatre. :D.
BTW the stubble was uncomfortable for a few weeks after. :lol:
When I was stripped pre-op the nurse had a gander and said "oh, you're already shaven". "Nope," said I, "I'm a cyclist". Had to shave north of the zone, though.

I stopped shaving my chin in 1988.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

When going in for an operation to correct a vein problem I was issued with depilatory cream to use at home before the op.
I did, what I thought was, a good job but waiting in the ward to go down to the theatre the nurse said she needed to check. She wasn't satisfied I'd done it well enough so went at the offending hair with a razor, pulling the tackle this way and that to make sure she'd removed the last whisker.
She said it was very important to remove all hair as it lessened the risks of infection.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I shave my head and the parts of my face and neck not covered by my beard in the shower.Makes perfect sense to me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 4:19pm When going in for an operation to correct a vein problem I was issued with depilatory cream to use at home before the op.
I did, what I thought was, a good job but waiting in the ward to go down to the theatre the nurse said she needed to check. She wasn't satisfied I'd done it well enough so went at the offending hair with a razor, pulling the tackle this way and that to make sure she'd removed the last whisker.
She said it was very important to remove all hair as it lessened the risks of infection.
Current evidence and guidance:

Cochrane: "Does hair removal before surgery prevent infections after surgery?":
https://www.cochrane.org/CD004122/WOUND ... er-surgery

NICE: "Surgical site infections: prevention and treatment":
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng125/ ... tive-phase

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I had them shave my chest once before they put the electrodes on for a DCCV, but that's to minimise the risk of burning.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

How long do it take you shower-shavers to shave surely and certainly in the shower?

Do you have a heat recovery system down in the plug 'ole or are you just very well orf?

When out in the freezin' airs of a winter bike ride, especially as the gloaming comes on and the temperature drops even more as the sun disappears, do you get frostbite o' the chin & cheeks?

Cugel, hirsute as a hedge full of hedgehogs.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
jb

Post by jb »

I would never shave my eyebrows because when I look up it looks like I still have hair :lol:
Cheers
J Bro
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 5:14pm I would never shave my eyebrows because when I look up it looks like I still have hair :lol:
I'm the same when I look down :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Is it not perverse that as you get older hair disappears from where you would like to keep it, but sprouts from those places you would rather it didn't?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mike Sales wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 8:01pm Is it not perverse that as you get older hair disappears from where you would like to keep it, but sprouts from those places you would rather it didn't?
Nose hair drives me up the wall, it tickles when I breathe.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cugel wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 5:08pm How long do it take you shower-shavers to shave surely and certainly in the shower?

Do you have a heat recovery system down in the plug 'ole or are you just very well orf?

When out in the freezin' airs of a winter bike ride, especially as the gloaming comes on and the temperature drops even more as the sun disappears, do you get frostbite o' the chin & cheeks?

Do you have anything living in your face hedge?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

francovendee wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 4:19pm When going in for an operation to correct a vein problem I was issued with depilatory cream to use at home before the op.
Well it might. What it does to is reduce the pain when the hefty adhesive dressings are stripped off. This is relevant: https://youtu.be/9HtHEgINHO0
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

francovendee wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 7:47am
Cugel wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 5:08pm How long do it take you shower-shavers to shave surely and certainly in the shower?

Do you have anything living in your face hedge?
Other than the various microbes living on all humans, I hope not ..... although I can keep a cup of tea or a medium sized bowl of soup in there for later.

The thing one has to watch for is a gilbert on the 'tache or even dangling from the lower furze. This can put-orf the ladywife from bestowing the kiss of greeting as I return from a lone bike ride, all healthy & glowing albeit damp in the face (and elsewhere).

Cugel, grizzled beyond belief yet still eminently desirable. On yes I am!
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 4:30pm

Jonathan
Reading the links, it makes me wonder did she had a fetish about hair. There doesn't seem to be any reduction in infections, quite the reverse.
My op was back in 2005 so perhaps thinking was different then.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 10:58am
Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 4:30pm

Reading the links, it makes me wonder did she had a fetish about hair. There doesn't seem to be any reduction in infections, quite the reverse.
My op was back in 2005 so perhaps thinking was different then.
Yes, it was. The suspicion that shaving might increase the risk of postoperative infection became common in the 1970s.

Trying to avoid infection was one of the major themes of surgery for as long as we have records. Evidence-based medicine is rather more recent!

Jonathan