Sturmey Archer RX-RD5 oil port lubrication..how much SFG??

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sandy Bags

Sturmey Archer RX-RD5 oil port lubrication..how much SFG??

Post by Sandy Bags »

Hello all,
Further to an earlier post I did about converting my SA hub gear to oil..or I should say Semi Fluid Grease lubrication; I have now done this, including the changing of the seal to stop any SFG/oil from getting into the hub brake. So, I am ready to inject the lubrication..in this case 'land rover swivel joint SFG.' What I am wondering though, is how much to squirt in there..??
Any advice from anyone else who has done this would be much appreciated. I am hoping that the new seal will stop any SFG from migrating into the brake, but I guess it would be sensible to err on the side of caution with the amount I put in there..just in case.
Cheers.
rjb

Re: Sturmey Archer RX-RD5 oil port lubrication..how much SFG??

Post by rjb »

I overdid mine on an AW :oops:
It was very draggy, noticably so when freewheeling. When freewheeling down hill engaging the intermediate gear for no drive was accompanied by a loud clunk as the clutch disengaged and the freewheeling speed increased significantly. Easily cured by injecting some runny oil to water it down. :D
A teaspoon amount should be ok. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
slowster

Post by slowster »

I asked the same question in the context of lubricating a 3 speed Nexus hub without integral drum brake. Brucey suggested introducing 30ml via the hollow axle to begin with - viewtopic.php?p=1202193#p1202193.

Over the last few years after adding SFG to the hub a couple of times, I have found that SFG has oozed out on the drive side of the Nexus hub when I have removed the chaincase and inspected it, and I have similarly found that SFG has seeped past the seal on the non-drive side of a Shimano Deore rear hub.

Therefore, to state the bleedin' obvious given the consequences if lubricant gets past your seal into the drum brake, I think you should strongly err on the side of caution. I would introduce no more than, say, 10ml or 15ml, at least initially. I would then want to open up and inspect the interior of the drum brake before adding any more later, i.e. to check how effective the seal had been.
Sandy Bags

Post by Sandy Bags »

Thanks both for your helpful replies. That really made me laugh Slowster when you said "to state the bleedin' obvious.." :lol: My other hub, a Shimano Nexus with an oil port, is also lubricated this way with SFG..and I have found the same thing Slowster, that the oil slowly seeps out over the months until it is empty..and then I top it up again (with about 25ml.) With this hub, I need to take a different approach..as you rightly say, just in case the seal is not as effective as I hope. At the same time, there needs to be enough lubrication in there..as it is now empty/clean of the original gloop that SA wang in there. My feeling is that 10ml would be a reasonable starting point..hopefully enough that it does the job, but not enough that if it does leak, things will be catastrophic with the brake.
Cheers.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

This place really misses the words of wisdom from Brucey, but at the same time his past words can be found with searches and then trawled through.

If this were my hub then I’d be tempted to strip it and grease it.

It might be counter intuitive but IIRC the brakes do need (separate) grease in/on them; again, IIRC, the grease is of a high temperature sort - best to check all of this out for yourself.

Semi-fluid grease is great at keeping some lubricant within the hub; oil tends to escape from the older type (with oiler port/cap) but just put a teaspoonful back in from time to time - that slow loss (escape) of ‘used’ oil and replacement with new is sort off a design feature. A mix of generous greasing (enough plus a bit more) on assembly - particularly so in the ball races, I’m estimating a total usage of 20 ml / four teaspoonful - and, both on assembly and occasionally thereafter, adding 5ml shots of light machine oil down the indicator rod hole in the shaft has worked well for me on my NIG SA 3 speed: it’s been reliable, isn’t draggy and ticks along nicely.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Sandy Bags

Re: Sturmey Archer RX-RD5 oil port lubrication..how much SFG?? AN UPDATE.

Post by Sandy Bags »

Hello all,
Firstly, thanks very much to you all for posting replies to my initial question, it was/is very much appreciated. Apologies to Carlton Green for not replying until now..
So, an update, I ended up taking the wheel to a LBS to resolve, since I had a family crisis on my hands at the time; unfortunately, the bike shop went bust, whilst still in possession of my wheel..which the receivers were planning on selling!! It was a bit of a nightmare. I eventually got the wheel back, but it was not in a usable state..so I ended up having to buy another wheel :( Motto of the story is..if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
I do have a question about the replacement wheel, or more specifically the hub gear in it..which I will post under a new topic.
All the best to you all.