UK weekend route suggestion

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sparky56

Re: UK weekend route suggestion

Post by Sparky56 »

Avon trail — Bristol - Bath - Bradford on Avon
Just about all off road on proper cycle tracks
Railway stations along the way
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

It would be useful to know where you live - you presuambly don't want to travel a huge distance by train to do a not-very-long ride.

From your initial post it seems Reading is easily accessible. Cycle west from there on Sustrans route 4, for as far as you like. Stations at Newbury (20mi), Kintbury (25mi), Hungerford (30mi), Bedwyn (35mi), Pewsey (45mi). The route follows much of the Kennet and Avon Canal towpath which is fine for a touring bike (route 4 bypasses the slightly difficult bits by using quiet roads).
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

From Three Bridges station (easily accessible by Thameslink trains, which are very cycle friendly) To Eastbourne Station(where the trains are also cycle friendly), using primarily NCN21.

Route is c85% old rail lines, so dead easy going, but there is a more challenging section (through beautiful scenery) for about 10-15 miles in The High Weald on very quiet lanes, which is a bit hilly.

In a couple of months time the new cycleway Eastbourne to Lewes will b finished (it’s well on now), so it will be possible to loop round to Lewes and use a train from there, although the new route is a bit scenically boring …… it’s close to the South Downs, but not on them, so you’d need to follow the rest of NCN 21 to Newhaven (station) to get a bit more decent scenery.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

NCN51 Milton Keynes to Cambridge, with NCN11 onwards to Ely or Kings Lynn.

Mostly near dead flat, although there is one lump at the MK end, high % traffic free, easy trains (no need to reserve) at multiple points.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

“Downslink” Guildford to Shoreham, very flat, but surprisingly bumpy surface in places, has a nice continuation along the seafront to Brighton on NCN2, easy trains both ends.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Barnstaple via Bideford ton tarka trail to Oakhampton stay overnight.

Granite way to Plymouth train home.

Trails and lanes.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Those are some great suggestions, thanks. I hadn't thought of Three Bridges as a starting point at all.

I live in South East London. Kent would obviously be easiest (have heard Tunbridge Wells to Shoreham is good) but I'd like to try somewhere new.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Nearholmer wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 11:11am NCN51 Milton Keynes to Cambridge, with NCN11 onwards to Ely or Kings Lynn.

Mostly near dead flat, although there is one lump at the MK end, high % traffic free, easy trains (no need to reserve) at multiple points.
That's interesting. Kings Lynn to Cambridge is one I'm toying with.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

JayM wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 2:42pm ..
I live in South East London. Kent would obviously be easiest (have heard Tunbridge Wells to Shoreham is good) but I'd like to try somewhere new.
The Cantii Way, including my thoughts:
viewtopic.php?t=150227

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

A lot does depend upon how hill-averse you are, and whether you like cycling on bumpy paths. If you are prepared to go for some hills and bumpy stuff the options for scenic beauty would open up a bit.

I’ve not “done the Cantii Way”, but I do know the Folkestone to Rye area, which is both flat and fascinating (unusual combination) and if you were to continue to Hastings, making sure to go to interesting places like Rye Harbour, Winchelsea, and out to Winchelsea Beach and Cliff End (Fairlight) there s probably a weekend’s worth in it.

Or, go to the Isle of Wight for the weekend.
JayM

Post by JayM »

More great suggestions! Jack Thurston has a cinque ports route with Dungeness but it is circular.

I'm fine with hills on a decent track. Have done Ditching Beacon. I'd be put off by sustained hills (e.g.Shropshire)
mjr

Post by mjr »

JayM wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 2:43pm
Nearholmer wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 11:11am NCN51 Milton Keynes to Cambridge, with NCN11 onwards to Ely or Kings Lynn.

Sections of NCN11 near Ely are challenging (poor surfaces, narrow tracks and a steep footbridge with wheel ramps) and, personally, the "deleted" bit of NCN11 past Welney was done with good reason because it's nicer to ride directly from Denver to Littleport unless you want to see the birds.

But it's a fun ride as long as you don't rush, then nip across to NCN 51 for Angelsey Abbey and the Outside Inn before heading into Cambridge.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jackt

Post by jackt »

Where to begin!?

The Cotswold Line is a 77 mile cycle route that's designed to mesh nicely with the railway for return between Oxford and Worcester. You can bite of as much as you are prepared to chew and hop on the train back. More details here:

https://cycle.travel/route/cotswold_line

I really enjoyed my Swansea to Abergavenny ride, written up in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... on-beacons

Salisbury to Bath following Sustrans NCR24 makes for a nice linear route with a train return. I'd follow the

My Lost Lanes (Southern England) has a very pleasant Reading - Didcot route, though perhaps not long enough for you.

Perhaps the ultimate of the form would be something working in the glorious Settle-Carlisle line. But prepare for hills!

Newport (S Wales) via Chepstow to Hereford is a fantastic route up the Wye Valley with a good train return. But probably longer than you're looking for, and hilly if you make the (wise) decision to avoid as much as the A466 as you can.

The Northumberland Coast between Alnmouth and Berwick is a great ride - though take care to do it in the correct direction as not all trains stop at Almouth.

For flat and (for the most part) scenic, the north Wales coast is good - train line between Chester and Bangor, and Sustrans NCR 5 to follow.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Now I know the OP is from SE London, I would suggest starting for Kings Lynn from Bedford (catch Thameslink train to there) rather than MK, because the MK to Bedford bit is the least rewarding part of NCN51, unless you follow the woodland alternative near Cranfield, which is not for the faint hearted with luggage on.
sjs

Post by sjs »

JayM wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 2:43pm

Hitchin to Ely? Or other suitable pairs of stations on that line.