Copenhagen - nice!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Copenhagen - nice!

Post by simonineaston »

Just come back from a couple of days in the Danish capital - what a pleasant city, especially from a cyclist's pov. Most major routes have dedicated wide cycle lanes, one for each direction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_Denmark
Street crossings are controlled by lights and everybody paitiently waits their turn. Very flat so weighty sit-up-and-beg and cargo bikes are popular. The centre is chocca full of excellent museums and the hostel I stayed at (linked below) was clean, quiet and inexpensive and well sited to enjoy the rest of the city centre. The breakfast buffet was impressive. Needless to say the rail system was really good too, with bikes readily accomodated, both on the spacious station platforms and on the trains themselves. Didn't venture away from the capital, but I imagine a longer stay could make for a rather good cycling vacation..
https://www.danhostel.dk/en/hostel/danh ... hagen-city
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Re: Copenhagen - nice!

Post by simonineaston »

Here's the compulsary photo of the little mermaid, commissioned by a member of the Carlsberg brewing family, who've also done lot of museums etc. etc.. The mighty incinerator behind her fails to keep the location anything other than chilly and windswept but does have Denmark's only ski slope built in to it !
brrrrrrr... !
brrrrrrr... !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Lovely place.
simonineaston wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 8:20am Most major routes have dedicated wide cycle lanes, one for each direction.
I worked there for three weeks in the 1980s. We took our own bikes and a small child. I asked about those wide segregated lanes and how they had managed to preserve them. To my surprise the response was that they had been created rather than preserved.

Nil desperandum.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The avenue adjacent to the place I stayed (Hans Cristian Andersen Boulevarde...) had three lanes of traffic each way, seperated by a central reservation, then at either side, a wide cycle lane, then a service road for parked cars and deliveries and then a pavement... !!
And when the green lights on the crossings were lit, you can cross every single element of the avenue, clear from one side to other, before they change. Meanwhile the motorists sit there patiently waiting their turn, with peaceful & contented smiles on their faces.
S
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I love Amsterdam more.So should you.They have built a gigantic underwater parking bay under the sea.It houses 7000 cycles and no cars.
No its not 1 April.Please google search and post photo's if you like as the bicycle parking is so clean and its like a modern airport.I would but am of with my cycling mates to the cafe.
**********************************************************************************************************
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 12:53pm I love Amsterdam more.So should you.They have built a gigantic underwater parking bay under the sea.It houses 7000 cycles and no cars.
No its not 1 April.Please google search and post photo's if you like as the bicycle parking is so clean and its like a modern airport.I would but am of with my cycling mates to the cafe.
It's discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=154687

Jonathan