Spiking heart rate monitor issues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jon in Sweden

Spiking heart rate monitor issues

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I have a Magene chest strap HR monitor. I bought it in May and it's been very reliable, with about 7000km of trouble free use.

I replaced the battery a couple of months back, but just lately (last few weeks) it's started reading high sometimes, with HR spikes that are obviously false.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a case of needing to clean up contacts? Replace battery? Or just a HR monitor in need of replacement?

It's quite annoying, as being a numbers nerd, I like the metrics that come from having it.
Jdsk

Re: Spiking heart rate monitor issues

Post by Jdsk »

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=149530

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

How can you be sure the numbers are false?

Bit of an OTT comparison, but Chernobyl happened partly because the guys in the control room decided that the figures from the instruments were unbelievable and a symptom of an instrumentation error.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 8:38am Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=149530

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan. I'll give it a read.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Nearholmer wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 8:41am How can you be sure the numbers are false?

Bit of an OTT comparison, but Chernobyl happened partly because the guys in the control room decided that the figures from the instruments were unbelievable and a symptom of an instrumentation error.
It's a fairly recent occurrence. I'm had nearly 300hrs of using this HR monitor so I'm quite experienced in knowing how my heart now responds to training input. My HR maximum, prior to this tech issue, was 185bpm, and that genuinely feels close to my max and was on an all out hill climb. I'm also 38, so it roughly aligns with the rule of thumb (220 minus age).

I saw 196bpm on Friday whilst steadily pedalling up a gentle incline. It's not an accurate measurement.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Sounds like battery contacts.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Do you have any reason to think that it might be a genuine clinical problem... detectable rhythm disturbances, pain, feeling faint... ?

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Strange “butterfly” sensation? Can be very subtle indeed.
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

I had similar issues with a Wahoo Tickr chest strap, both spikes and very low readings. I resorted to using electrode gel on the chest contacts and it's been fine since. I think mine was likely caused by not enough sweat to keep the contacts wet in the winter.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 9:16am Do you have any reason to think that it might be a genuine clinical problem... detectable rhythm disturbances, pain, feeling faint... ?

Jonathan
No, nothing at all. The spikes tend to be when I'm not exerting myself particularly.

I'm increasingly thinking that it's a contact issue. The two rides where it's been particularly noticeable have been lower intensity rides at low temperature. Perhaps a lack of sweat.
re_cycler wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 9:51am I had similar issues with a Wahoo Tickr chest strap, both spikes and very low readings. I resorted to using electrode gel on the chest contacts and it's been fine since. I think mine was likely caused by not enough sweat to keep the contacts wet in the winter.
The electrode gel is a good call. I wonder if (in the meantime) whether vaseline might work too?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 11:01am
The electrode gel is a good call. I wonder if (in the meantime) whether vaseline might work too?
Conductive gel: Just mix a tiny pinch of table salt, into your favorite gel (aloe vera gel is nice), and you are done (see link below). A little (5~10cc) can go a long way. It's really not that critical if the salt amount is a bit more or a bit less. If you like, adding a few drops of shampoo can help with oily skins too. The conductive gel is very easy to clean up, just wash off with water.
https://www.bioshare.info/en/diygel
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 9:16am Do you have any reason to think that it might be a genuine clinical problem... detectable rhythm disturbances, pain, feeling faint... ?
No, nothing at all. The spikes tend to be when I'm not exerting myself particularly.
Thanks

Yes, it sounds like an artefact.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

More than likely contacts and IME especially in cold weather.
In the last 30 yrs I’ve had a Garmin, aWahoo, a Scosche and currently a Polar H10.
The first two the straps got tired and experienced spikes as they got older. The Scosche was completely useless and eventually got a full refund for it. It spiked on every descent :lol:
The current H10 is the best I’ve had, easily makes contact, comfortable to wear, never misses a beat. I do now follow care instructions and wash it after every few rides. I’m guilty of not doing that with those early purchases.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 11:01am ...
I wouldn't expect petroleum jelly to be sufficiently conductive, with or without added salt.

Jonathan
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

I think you'll find that Vaseline may well be an insulator it is also hydrophobic so will keep sweat away from the contacts.
I like the sound of Mike's DIY gel as the electrode gel is a bit messy if it gets on your clothes. But as a little goes a long way I think my tube will last me years.