Finding fun on the bike again

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
2wheels

Re: Finding fun on the bike again

Post by 2wheels »

For me, cycling is about freedom. Sometimes on my Galaxy with flat bars and Carridce saddle bag. Sometimes on my carbon Trek. Sometimes on my other bike which is aluminium. Sometimes in lycra, sometimes in civvies. Garmin is used for a record, but the stats are just figures and not the reason ride. Sometimes I stop regularly, taking pics, sometimes I keep going. Freedom and not being dictated to about pace or distance. I love that variety. And just rekindling cycle camping after many years.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

"What is this life if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare".
crossy

Post by crossy »

I went out this morning meaning to do a 40ish mile ride to get some villages for my list. About 4 miles in I was cold and riding into a head wind the thought came into my head I can’t be bother with this. So I stopped that ride and took a road I hadn’t used for a long time. I use Wandrer so thought i might get some new roads and tracks. Ended up on a rutted pot holed track that turned into a footpath. I walked along the footpath I had 2 styles to man handle my bike over. Got 3 1/2 miles of new roads and tracks. I sat on a bench by the canal eating a piece of flapjack I took with me, so peaceful. Then stopped about a mile away from home for a coffee and bread pudding at a cafe I’d not been to. What could have been a really crap ride turned out to be a good one :)
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I go through phases like this where I don't enjoy riding as much.
I find mixing things up a bit helps...a bit of road riding, touring, mountain biking or just faffing about.
As for speed and stats, I've never bothered. I have a theory that there is too much emphasis on 'competition' in modern life. It starts with getting into a 'good' school, getting the 'best' job/house/car, then ends with having a large turnout at your funeral! All largely irrelevant if you are not enjoying yourself.
None of the computers, Garmins or Strava have a 'grin' meter...this would be far more indicative of why most of us ride.
crossy

Post by crossy »

The only thing I’m good at on the bike is faffing. I’ve tried to do serious training on the bike. After 10 mins my mind wanders, a tree catches my attention or something like that and the training goes out of the window. I went out this morning I didn’t think I really stopped I did 35miles at just over 8mph but I did get 7.5 new miles on Wandrer. I’ve got myself an old cateye computer on the bike, I’ve used tipex to cover over the speed I’m doing, distance is my thing.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58