I did it, flat-bar conversion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ciminera

Re: I did it, flat-bar conversion

Post by Ciminera »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Feb 2023, 9:42am Each to what they prefer and finds suits their needs … I like the variety of hand positions offered by drops but do wonder whether flats plus bar ends might also work for me.

Please, I’d be really interested to know what particular parts were used for the conversion and how the OP knew what would be compatible with what.
I will likely either fit bar ends, or move to a butterfly setup at some stage... but for now I just wanted to make the bike more comfortable more of the time, so I choose to ride it more often.

I've ridden exclusively drop bars for my entire adult life, or the past 15+ years... and I just can't get on with them. I don't find comfort or benefit in the drops, and I only find use for the hoods when braking and changing gear... but find that a chore in that position. My hands are on the smaller side though so maybe that's the real reason?

as for parts...
it's an etc riser bar, which was about £12 on amazon. has 30mm rise, and 9 degrees of back sweep. I knew my previous bar was 25.4mm size so I knew this one was right for that. it's 630mm wide

brake levers I chose based on being compatible with cantilever brakes, found some on ebay. I believe they are altus, but there does seem to be lots of altus models. these are labelled ty21.

same with shifters. I found when googling that altus was compatible with my acera deraileurs and took it on faith. I needed 3x8, and these seemed to fit the bill, were cheap and genuine shimano rather than the countless copies I came across. They also came with new cables, which was a bonus.

The grips are ritchey wcs truegrip ergo foam grips which I found recommended by alee denham of "cycling about" channel/blog...

cables, ends, ferrules, I picked up cheaply in my local decathlon.
Carlton green

Re: I did it, flat-bar conversion

Post by Carlton green »

Many thanks for the info.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.