Clockwise or Anticlockwise?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Velocio

Clockwise or Anticlockwise?

Post by Velocio »

I was just wondering which way most cyclists take when doing a circular ride. I tend to choose a clockwise direction. An anticlockwise route would probably make more sense as there will be fewer right turns but somehow my brain chooses a clockwise route more often than not.

Velocio
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
axel_knutt

Re: Clockwise or Anticlockwise?

Post by axel_knutt »

I had three regular circuits, two A/CW one C/W.

A/CW has the advantage that you're making mainly left turns, which don't usually involve stopping to give way.

(Our Technical Information Dept., who used to mark up handbook scripts like an English teacher always crossed out anticlockwise, and change it to counterclockwise.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Hills early or late in the ride according to how I'm feeling, and a preference for gentle descents and steep ascents rather than vice-versa is what generally drives my decisions on this. I don't have any perceived preference for either direction, but the post does make me wonder what I'd find if i looked back at routes I've done
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Depends which hemisphere I'm in.
peetee

Post by peetee »

It depends on the route. I have a road ride that is clockwise because there are some tough gradients on a busy road and I’d rather not ride up them at a snails-pace when the option is to keep up with traffic on the way down.
However, a local off-road ride is just a chore going anti-clockwise. All the best downhill sections are when travelling the other way. :D
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

On Friday, I did a route clockwise that I’d normally do anti/counter, and I got a puncture in the middle of a muddy wood, so I won’t be trying that again.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Depends on the wind direction. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

due to an injury many years ago to my right leg that unfortunately left that leg a little weaker, i naturally tend to deviate to the right whilst cycling, so for me clockwise routes seem to make much more sense than widdershins.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I have no preference but knowing the area in which I cycle I go in the direction where the hills are easiest.
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

It's decided by the wind and the hills for me. But by a quick glance at some past routes, it looks like it's more often anti clockwise when going north, and clockwise when going south. :D
hemo

Post by hemo »

If I cylce the S/downs it is off the SDW and c/w routes, other wise most of my routes I do are a/c/w.

My longest route is approx.104 miles acw which I save for nice bright days taking in the NDW once I traverse the 18 miles to Dorking , then the Downs Link the other side of Newlands Corner which I take all the way in to Shoreham aerodrome. A ride via the harbour bridge crossing along the front to Ovingdean and then up past near the AMEX and over the downs where I eventually drop in to Hassocks area either via Ditchling or the Windmills then it is another 20 odd miles mainly up hill to home.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

gcogger wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 4:46pm It's decided by the wind and the hills for me. But by a quick glance at some past routes, it looks like it's more often anti clockwise when going north, and clockwise when going south. :D
This. Over hills I go into the wind, since you get some shelter, then have fun going home on the flat. I suppose it's just luck that I can do that in this area.

That said, when I was planning Audaxes I always sent them clockwise to simplify the turns.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Never a consideration. Apple or blackberry munchie bars come way up the list in front of direction.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Hills and wind direction, I try to get the harder bits done first.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a ride of 30miles over varied roads, and I tend to mainly do it clockwise, but I have done it anticlockwise on occasion to make a change.

I do it clockwise more because of a twisty part of the A390 is nicely downhill, rather than struggling up the other way and holding up the traffic.
Mick F. Cornwall