Servicing

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Godzy89

Servicing

Post by Godzy89 »

Hey all
How often is it recommended for a service to be carried out?
Had my Orbea Vibe for 10 months now and am wondering if it needs a service
Everything is still in good working order but i dont know if that would change soon if it wasnt serviced

On a second point im guessing that an Orbea dealer would be able to check if there was any firmware updates to the one installed on date of manufacture
Had a look around the tinterwebs and it appears that a software/firmware update can only be installed by a dealer

Thx for any replies

Godzy
Bonzo Banana

Re: Servicing

Post by Bonzo Banana »

If its hub motor based there isn't much electrically to service and the drivetrain wear rate will be much reduced because of the motor assisting independently of the drivetain so typically hub motor ebikes need a lot less servicing as well as typically being a lot more reliable than mid-drive motors due to their simplicity. So really there shouldn't be much to look at apart from general drivetrain cleaning and lubrication. Always wise to keep an eye on the rear tyre though as sometimes hub motor wheels can be difficult to remove especially rear wheels with the extra complexity of the drivetrain. Also always worth having a few spare spokes for the rear wheel as they are more likely to break on rear hub motors despite being shorter than normal spokes.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thank you for the reply
It is a hub drive and your info has made me feel a bit better
I have a couple of longish rides in the next few mnths so will maybe have it checked over before then
Again thank you for the reply
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

• You haven't said how much the bike has been used so it's a bit of a 'how long is a bit of string' question really
  • I've no experience of your particular bike but as a general principle and with some longish rides coming up as you say, I'd not be looking to have a firmware update until after those rides unless you have absolute confidence that the new firmware brings no possible issues.
  • if the bike is running fine than as a minimum, just inspect all the electrical bits (cables, connection points, battery holder etc) for soundness.
Is there not a recommended maintenance schedule for you model bike?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

bikes4two wrote: 9 Feb 2023, 9:58pm
  • You haven't said how much the bike has been used so it's a bit of a 'how long is a bit of string' question really
  • I've no experience of your particular bike but as a general principle and with some longish rides coming up as you say, I'd not be looking to have a firmware update until after those rides unless you have absolute confidence that the new firmware brings no possible issues.
  • if the bike is running fine than as a minimum, just inspect all the electrical bits (cables, connection points, battery holder etc) for soundness.
Is there not a recommended maintenance schedule for you model bike?
Hi bikes4two
Thanks for the reply
I have done around 800 miles on my bike with most of them on guided rides through the british cycling lets ride groups
Before the start of each ride an "m check" is carried out to ensure the bike is in good general order and i have not come across any problems so far

With the Orbea being my 1st ebike i was just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb for a recommended service time or do i just carry out a check on the things you have mentioned etc?
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Godzy89 wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 11:43pm Before the start of each ride an "m check" is carried out to ensure the bike is in good general order and i have not come across any problems so far
Hi Godzy89,
It looks to me as though what you're doing should see you ok - I guess it's just a case of keeping hooked into relevant forums to see if something unusual about your particular machine comes up, otherwise I reckon you're good to go.

Having said that, bear in mind that forums attract a lot of postings along the lines of " my xxxx is broken, how do I fix it" rather than "my xxxx is excellent a runs fine every day" ------ if you get my drift?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

I have a similar bike - an 2020 Orbea Gain - with the same ebikemotion/Mahle system, and have run it for nearly 3 years with no problems.

There's no ebike-specific maintenance required - the system is sealed. You're correct that it's a 'closed' system and only an Orbea dealer can upgrade it, but as a previous poster says if it works well at the moment, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you aren't mechanically minded, then it's worth having someone else check the bike over once a year. It doesn't have to be a bike shop. That's true of any bike - not just ebikes.

The one difference on my Orbea compared to my previous bike is that I have to adjust the brakes much more often, and also replace the brake pads (again this isn't ebike-specific, but I'm just bring it to your attention!). I suspect I'm a bit heavy on the brakes. I replaced my pads at around the 1000 mile mark. They aren't expensive, but there's obviously labour involved to replace them. If they're hydraulic, it's probably a 2 year replacement regime for the brake fluid, so at 8 months there are no worries there.
peterb

Post by peterb »

As above - I have an Orbea Gain too, 5 years old this coming summer. I've changed the brake pads just once and have had no need to adjust the hydraulic brakes as yet, The chain will need changing soon. I've never had any bike 'serviced', and treat the Gain just like other bikes - I just check over regularly and deal with wear and tear when and if problems arise. No problems with the electrics. The app has been a pain in the past but the current version seems much more stable'
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thank you for the replies Rich and Peter
Looks like i made a good choice on the bike
Im more than happy with it
I have never used the app as i just use my Gamin 530 and it uploads to Strava so thats all i really need
Will keep my eye on the chain and have a chain checking tool thing which will hopefully let me know when its time for a replacement

John