Zwift - Training Plan - Standing at low cadence issue

Jules59

Zwift - Training Plan - Standing at low cadence issue

Post by Jules59 »

I'm 63, 86kg. 1.78m and set my FTP on Zwift at 245.

I like doing the Training Plans as a way of staying cycle fit over winter (Jan to March usually).

The training plans vary the cadence requested from 65 to 110+ rpm, and often request a standing pedalling position.

The problem I have is that I normally only stand to pedal when cycling up a very steep hill at a very low cadence or when going flat out.

I find standing at 65rpm, outputting say 255W, very uncomfortable in that if I find I have to support my body weight on both legs at the same time with knees bent in order to achieve a smooth cadence without clonking the freehub hard. Normally I would push down with one leg and then the other but I find I have to do a controlled push down with both legs simultaneously in order to maintain the required cadence. I find it very tiring and can only do it for less than a minute.

Am I doing something wrong ? Ive given up trying to do it and just sit down for the the slow cadences.

Oh yes, set up is 50/34 and 11s 11/28 and a Directo XR trainer with ERG mode on.
Jules59

Re: Zwift - Training Plan - Standing at low cadence issue

Post by Jules59 »

Anybody have a similar issue with Zwift training plans ?
cyclop

Re: Zwift - Training Plan - Standing at lotrialw cadence issue

Post by cyclop »

Chapeau for having the focus and discipline to go on an indoor trainer.I,ve got a basic trainer set up in the garage gathering dust and I,d have to be desparate to actually use it.Having said that,I,ve just had a go,standing up for a minute at 60-65rpm.Hard,yes,but if I was on the road I,d be alternating sitting and standing.No dought this skill would improve with training/practice surely.I,m thinking Zwift training plans allow small changes ,after all.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

A bit about ERG mode from Zwift insider:-
https://zwiftinsider.com/erg-mode-in-zwift/

You don't have to use ERG mode in training plans but it does all the calculations for you.Have you tried different gears or do you leave it in one gear?
I find I just stand as I would on the road but if you can reach the required cadence/watts sitting I wouldn't worry too much.If it feels uncomfortable to the point where you have to sit then I would be thinking it's time to change position....as you would on the road.

I often think these App training plans are designed for much younger riders than me(55 years old).
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Jules59 wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 10:04pm .................
I find standing at 65rpm, outputting say 255W, very uncomfortable in that if I find I have to support my body weight on both legs at the same time with knees bent in order to achieve a smooth cadence without clonking the freehub hard. Normally I would push down with one leg and then the other but I find I have to do a controlled push down with both legs simultaneously in order to maintain the required cadence. I find it very tiring and can only do it for less than a minute.
What you are doing here is supporting some of your weight on the foot which is coming up; this is what you do walking down stairs. **
We normally think of a muscle shortening when it contracts (think bicep curl) this is isotonic contraction.
Lowering a the weight doing a bicep curl the muscle extends although its still "contracting"....this is an eccentric contraction (Google it)
Although eccentric contraction is perfectly natural, its "different" and requires training.

** also if you ride tracks without suspension you do this all the time, otherwise you get bounced off the saddle
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Thanks for the replies.

I think the main issue was that I wasn't actually using ERG when I thought I was - doh! - there are some inconsistencies in the logic of the controls in the Zwift Android app which confused me. (eg If the button says "ERG ON" does that mean ERG is actually on or do you hit button to turn it on. It turns out its the former. There is no "ERG OFF" button nor any other indicator to confirm ERG is on.

Having got ERG working Ive since discovered ERG works better with certain gears, otherwise the trainer does not have time to adjust to the new low cadence within the time allotted for that interval.

Anyway, its all backed away now for use next winter. When Im back from my hols at the end of March I shall be riding outside as long as there is no ice on the roads.