First ride of the year!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
David Cox

Re: First ride of the year!

Post by David Cox »

Hi Mick,

Glad to see you are still riding you'll soon build up the mileage again if you want to. And yes it's good to build in some incentives. A few years ago my good friend John Bennett celebrated his 80th year by taking a group of us on a 80 mile ride. It was hard to keep up. That's now my ambition and two of us in my club have been doing such rides each year, last May it was 76 at 76. Can always devalue to metric if we have to of course. We've both had health problems but fortunately have got back into doing club runs regularly as well as solo rides. The sociable club runs now rated D rides help as company and incentive. Also living in South Birmingham we have the choice of a plethora of lovely rolling lanes into Warwickshire and Worcestershire and beyond. Some climbing but nothing like Cornwall.

We are gradually getting better cycling infra in the City (partly thanks to John's campaigning with Push Bikes going back to 1980!) So there are some pleasant local routes for shorter pretend commutes or "one less car" shopping trips all of which go on Strava. A whole culture of social community riding groups has grown up across the City helped by CUK cycling development team but initiated by John who launched Bournville Gentle Cycling in as a 2000 project with a small grant. These shorter social rides mainly for the retired and often new cyclists go out most days of the week seemingly regardless of the weather.

I decided to buy an electric bike while lying in hospital as an investment in future mobility mainly to get to meetings in the City and home on cold nights. But soon after it arrived we had Lockdown and all my meetings are now on Zoom or Teams !! John now well into his 80s is still cycling but on an e-bike conversion. At the moment I still prefer the acoustic bikes for shopping or leisure rides although the e-bike was fun when visiting friends near Bakewell.

Let us know how you get on now the afternoons are getting longer and spring is on its way.

David
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The past few mornings, and up until the mid-mornings, have been frosty. Minus Four these past few days. Couldn't even get the car out let alone riding a bike.

This morning was different. First day this week. PLUS FOUR, but drizzly. I can't win. :wink:
Any road up, it dried out ok, but I didn't have a long time spare, though I did feel strong and ready.

I managed Gunnislake Hill! :D
I only had time for an hour, so only did 4miles, but I did do 620ft of total ascent = 155ft per mile. Quite a task eh?
It's done wonders for my confidence, and I'll be out "up the hill" maybe at the weekend and go further too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

It's been freezin' overnight here: -2 to -4 degrees C. However, it's been sunny dawn to dusk, with the 2pm temperature high of +7 degrees C. Very light winds too.

In some ways, this is ideal cycling weather. There's very little black ice or frost-in-the-shadows road bits by early afternoon and studded ice tyres will anyway deal with any such that are encountered. The sun's radiant heat is pleasant too. The air is clear so the vistas from the top of the climbs are fine.

The past two weeks, then, have seen 6 bike rides albeit only 30-50K each ride .... but very hilly. Still, it'll do for late January to early February. Spring is in the air already!

Cugel, hoping for a March hot spell.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

First electric bike ride of the year now that the roads have at last dried out over the last few days ( to be wet again tomorrow unfortunately ) just a 10 mile cycle for a meeting and shopping on the way home. Just reminded how handy that thing is -- so easy.
I am here. Where are you?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

This Sunday 12th Feb, I 'saddled up' for the first time this Year (I'm embarrassed it's taken so long). 47 Miles in (pretty much) calm conditions of minimal wind and 8 DegC. the last 10 miles were a struggle - they say there's no hills in Norfolk! Well, I can show them many. Every incline had my legs screaming - every subsequent ride will seem easier (I tell myself). There's no doubt that regular riding is the preferred way to keep fit. :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Did 20miles today across the bridge into England.

9degC and fine when I left Cornwall, but England was COLD. Wind chill and 5/6degC too.
Got home freezing cold. Feet hands and body.

Had I known I would get that cold, I would have worn more layers.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cold but were you knackered?
Springs on it's way and when it comes it puts more miles in my legs. Maybe it's all in the mind. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, not knackered, but chilled right through to my bones.
It took me ages to warm up after the ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

At this time of the year I wear unfashionable normal clothes, jeans tucked into socks an old Altura flouresent windproof jacket and sheepskin gloves. Never get cold? In standard cycling gear I probably would. Thing is, keep out the wind.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 8:59am At this time of the year I wear unfashionable normal clothes, jeans tucked into socks an old Altura flouresent windproof jacket and sheepskin gloves. Never get cold? In standard cycling gear I probably would. Thing is, keep out the wind.

Al
Keeping out of the wind can be difficult on a bicycle, not least because you create a lot of your own wind by, er, going. I thought you was an engineer? :-)

Also, I feel that you may be behind the times in your knowledge of cycling clothings, as with many other subjects. On the other hand, what would you look like in anything tight-fitting? I am imagining that now! But perhaps you would be willing to send pics?

Cugel, with just an A-level in mechanics.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Larf all you like Cugel, I'm still warm as toast. I dont wear my periwig as I prefer my trusty Aldi helmet. :wink:
We are behind the times here, but we love the lifestyle. You will understand when you grow up!

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IME jeans as in denim jeans are unsuitable for riding in any but the fairest weather. Something people understand as soon as they go out cycling in jeans, in any but the fairest weather
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

IME jeans are fine in winter and spring. I use an old cut down pair as shorts in the summer too. I tried lots of cycling shorts but always found the pads chafed whatever shape or thickness they were.

Al
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 10:49am IME jeans are fine in winter and spring. I use an old cut down pair as shorts in the summer too. I tried lots of cycling shorts but always found the pads chafed whatever shape or thickness they were.

Al
It may just be your inherent but unrecognised (by yourself, at least) masochistic tendencies that wed you to the anti-pleasures of a perineum squished and bruised by a thick ridge of triple-stitched denim seam. Add this behaviour to that of wearing Aldi pyjamas whilst turning the thermostat down to 11 degrees and I feel we have sufficient evidence to support a suggest that you may find even more satisfaction if you go see a-one o' them ladeez clad in severe black leather and weilding a horsewhip despite there not being a horse for miles & miles!

Cugel, more of a bog-standard hedonist.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cugel, very perceptive! :lol:

Show us yourself in that clown outfit :wink:

Al