Teachers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mattheus

Re: Teachers

Post by mattheus »

EVERYONE has been hit hard by the Ukraine Crisis.

"
Oil and gas giant Shell has reported record annual profits after energy prices surged last year following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Profits hit $39.9bn (£32.2bn) in 2022, double last year's total and the highest in its 115-year history
"
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mattheus wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 10:27am EVERYONE has been hit hard by the Ukraine Crisis.

"
Oil and gas giant Shell has reported record annual profits after energy prices surged last year following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Profits hit $39.9bn (£32.2bn) in 2022, double last year's total and the highest in its 115-year history
"
Shell
Last edited by gbnz on 2 Feb 2023, 3:40pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mattheus wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 10:27am EVERYONE has been hit hard by the Ukraine Crisis.

"
"
Yes, well sort of yes, everyone has been hit by a crisis that the greedy and manipulative have made worse. Thinking back over recent history that seems to be the case, every crisis is an opportunity for excessive profit and if a crisis can be made worse then all the better for opportunities. But perhaps I am too cynical …
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Fuel crisis in the 70's?
Long queues at the petrol stations.

Interest rates?
People don't know nuttin' these days.
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 13.23.19.png

We had a £30,000 mortgage in the 80's, and paid £300 per month for it. You knocked two naughts off your loan, and that's what you paid per month.
Nowadays a £250,000 mortgage?
Try paying £2,500 per month for it. :shock:

This is getting off subject of course.

We need to pay more tax, but this rotten government is allowing the rich to get off cheap without paying their way. Meanwhile, the teachers, health service, police, council workers etc etc etc are living on bare bones.
Mick F. Cornwall
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

+1 Mick, there's plenty of money around just all offshore or being speculated in the stockmarket. A 'wealth tax' is long overdue.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bikes4two wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 9:44am
Stradageek wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 9:00am I fully support all that has been said in this thread but.... defence? From whom? I see no armies ready to cross the channel and invade :?
I'm guessing (hoping) that you aren't serious and just 'poking the bear' for reaction?

In this interconected world with much relience on long supply channels and even more dependence on computing technology and the internet, there are so many other ways to harm, nay cripple a nation than just boots on the ground.

Anyway, back to the topic of teachers and strikes. There's plenty of info about the striking parties and what they are asking for, but I see little in the way of where does the extra money come from. Will it be extra taxes, more expensive products - I just don't know - do you?
I wonder if a sort of IOU might be the answer. The public sector has been ground down by below inflation pay awards for more than a decade, the latest being yet another attack on the families of public sector workers. But the coffers are empty. So why not a serious commitment from the Government for above inflation pay rises in the years ahead, starting about a year from now, when the economy has started to pick up? And a little bit of give with the current round of negotiations.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excuse me, but it's not spam in the slightest.

The interest rates back then were 15odd percent, and we were broke, let alone the inability for car drivers to get fuel to go to work.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mick F wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 4:42pm Excuse me, but it's not spam in the slightest.

The interest rates back then were 15odd percent, and we were broke, let alone the inability for car drivers to get fuel to go to work.
Perhaps you posted in the wrong thread then?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 4:42pm Excuse me, but it's not spam in the slightest.

Inflation was peaking beyond 25% . For those public sector workers fortunate enough to be paid by the state it meant a pay rise every 3 months to keep up. No wonder they sold all the assets off to the private industry so they could pass the problem elsewhere. :(

Last edited by rjb on 2 Feb 2023, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bikes4two wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 9:44am .....Anyway, back to the topic of teachers and strikes. There's plenty of info about the striking parties and what they are asking for, but I see little in the way of where does the extra money come from. Will it be extra taxes, more expensive products - I just don't know - do you?
Ever heard the name Gary Stevenson?
I recommend you seek him out,there's a link to his website in the video description,here he is explaining in simple terms just what's going on and how the working wo/man,mainly those working wo/men at the bottom of the pile are being fleeced by a government that only cares for those who support their neolibral ideals by filling their pockets with our tax money,whilst the likes of Nadim Zahawe dodge paying their fair share what tax they loopholes have provided for themselves:- https://youtu.be/22hXOo-ojbI
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Feb 2023, 5:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 10:07am Taxation.

Cast our (older) minds back to the 70s and paying loadsa income tax. The threshold was low too.
We pay little tax these days in comparison.

Remember super-tax?
19/6d in the pound. 93% ?

Beatles hit, Taxman.
Mick people of our age know all about it,it's a verydifferent world today,especially with these robbers running the show for their own good.
It's now Thatcherism with knbs on!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

"
"
It's how unbridled capitalism works dear boy,didn't you know?

PS,satire again :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stradageek wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 4:28pm +1 Mick, there's plenty of money around just all offshore or being speculated in the stockmarket. A 'wealth tax' is long overdue.
And the tax loopholes closed off in those offshore investments.If you live here or your company is registered here,you should pay tax here!
It's politicians who are not closing those loopholes because they've been bought by those who make the most money out of those offshore accounts including prvious PMs,the likes of Johnson,Blair,etc,etc

EDITED to add the word not an error in the original post.
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Feb 2023, 12:02am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Teachers are actually quite well paid if the value of the pension is taken into account. Problem is that's of no benefit until they've actually retired so not much use to a 30 year old teacher whose wife has just had a baby.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Funnily enough I was talking to a semi-retired teacher just this evening, someone that I’ve known for decades. Apparently it’s really difficult to fill teaching posts, advertisements simply don’t generate the applications that they once did and those that do apply are usually poor quality candidates. Of course there are exceptions but the general trend, over years, is downward. Of course they’re not the only public body that’s suffering, a friend in the NHS says similar: they struggle to find anyone to appoint … and what’s turned out by the Universities lacks the ability to complete practical tasks and requires further training from non-existent budgets delivered by staff members who have already got far too much to attempt to do.

In the meantime large corporations effectively evade paying taxes and so do high wealth individuals.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.