Dahon query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

Dahon query

Post by PT1029 »

I saw a Dahon at work yesterday, an import from the US (flag sticker on frame). Mystery and question.
The mystery was the handle bar stem folding hinge/clamp. It looked the same as any other Dahon, except that when you undid the quick release lever, it refused to open, staying quite firm. I couldn't determine the cause without opening it - catch 22. Memory says there is a spring inside to help it the "latch" open, I assume the spring has broken, so the latch doesn't open. The latch I could see could be prodded to move a bit, but nothing more.
I pointed the owner to a LBS that does a lot of folders, so they could order any bits needed (probably a complete new stem).

NB. Undoing the side clamp bolts doesn't help - there is a quill stem type bolt only accessible once the folding hinge is open.
Anyone else come across such an occurence?

IMG_20230201_114812876.jpg
Mystery.
This bike had a tight cable running from just behind the headset to the left side of the BB shell. Never seen this on a Dahon before.
The fact the cable under tension is trying to open the frame folding hinge struck me as a tad odd at first. But then I thought perhaps in makes some sense, allowing for the American tendency to sue for something caused by careless owners, or even manufacturers.
By my observation, the Dahon clamp is a poor design, a lot of owners don't realise it needs periodic adjustment to keep the cam mechanism clamping the frame tight. About half the Dahons I see are being ridden with the clamp not tight enough (even though the cam lever is pushed fully in), the 2 halves of the frame move a bit relative to each other. Eventually the interfaces wear so much the clamp can never be adjused tight again.
My hunch is the tight cable, while trying to open the join, keeps the clamp under tension - if a bit not fully closed - which probably is safer (or less dangerous) than using it loose.
Attachments
IMG_20230201_114827320.jpg
gaz

Re: Dahon query

Post by gaz »

PT1029 wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 8:53amAnyone else come across such an occurence?
My own Dahon has a similar q/r for the stem with a sprung internal latch. It is possible to adjust the depth of engagement for the latch.

There's a sweet spot where it locks firm with no movement when riding with the q/r closed and undoing the q/r releases the folding stem smoothly. The sweet spot is difficult to find and usually works loose as I ride and soon needs finding again.
IMG20230203124836.jpg
There's a marginally less sweet spot where it locks firm with no movement when riding with the q/r closed but needs the wheel to be bounced when the q/r is undone to shake the latch and free the folding stem. The marginally less sweet spot is slightly easier to find if a little annoying when folding.

Something's up with the one you've encountered, quite what and how to resolve it may well defy online diagnosis.

Edit: pic added
Last edited by gaz on 3 Feb 2023, 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Re: Dahon query

Post by rjb »

The v shaped safety latch on the right stops the QR lever being released inadvertantly. One needs to turn this out of the way before pulling the lever. :wink:

What's with the strut under the downtube. Is this meant to stop the downtube folding when you hit a pothole or sleeping policeman. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D