Compulsory Purchase

pete75

Re: Compulsory Purchase

Post by pete75 »

cycle tramp wrote: 5 Feb 2023, 9:04am I'll take the inclusion of the word snowflake as an indication that you have run out of moral arguments and are now reduced to veiled insults.
Yes, you do that if it makes you feel better.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

PedallingSquares wrote: 5 Feb 2023, 4:40pm So the Council have rejected two other viable options, which he has no objections to, on his land yet he is in the wrong?
So easy to point the finger at someone just because they are wealthy and own a lot of land :roll:
This is a bit of a non-story IMO.The Council has spat the dummy out because it can't get it's own way.
Tough.
That's my cerainly my understanding of the situation.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://clafabrications.co.uk/product/2 ... cYQAvD_BwE

looks like about £33 per metre and to install and provide a path? Total cost, length x cost per metre? CCTV?
Access to line for maintenance?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Steady rider wrote: 5 Feb 2023, 8:39pm https://clafabrications.co.uk/product/2 ... cYQAvD_BwE

looks like about £33 per metre and to install and provide a path? Total cost, length x cost per metre? CCTV?
Access to line for maintenance?
I thought it would be a possibility- but if the subtext for the walking/ cycling route is for children to use it to and from school, it's probably going to be a monthly occurance when school bullies to get into the habit of chucking other children's bags over the fence onto the rail line.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Good point. That is where CCTV could be useful.

In general for cycle tracks at the side of rail lines, having a ball park figure could be useful.

https://www.pathsforall.org.uk/mediaLib ... 2019-2.pdf
2019 figures
Looks like fencing and a reasonable surface could be about £200 per m.
irc

Post by irc »

The council report linked in the article is interesting. Budget is around £2M. Building alongside the roads isn't easy as they are narrow with narrow or non existent footways. One option discussing mentions the well know hazard of on pavement cycle paths going past multiple driveways.

The railwaiy is on a viaduct at one point. It isn't easy flat ground.

The preferred routes are very non direct. No really good obvious direct options without a lot of tree felling to widen the roads IMO.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/land-wast ... imap/imap/

The existing paths do not seem very helpful and the built up area traffic levels would be a concern. People in the area need to assess all the options and decide if any are viable. A costing for each option could be helpful.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just possibly there are situations where trying to force fit something isn't a good idea.
There can't always be the perfect solution. Maybe a cycleway isn't an option. Why make it so?
Possibly planning housing better might have been a solution? #

Hmm
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://twitter.com/activetraveleng
You could ask Active Travel with some funding available and they will have qualified people to assist.

Two fairly large towns, 30,000+ each, close together merits a good cycleway connection to allow people to use.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Burge ... 999041!3e1 shows 4.1 miles apart,
how good the cycle route shown is, unsure
pwa

Post by pwa »

Take a look at this:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49579 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49542 ... 384!8i8192
I know it's not perfect, and it doesn't make for attractive leisure cycling, but alongside major roads in the Bridgend area footways are being widened and re-imagined as shared use paths. This takes advantage of the fact that those major roads take the most direct and flat route between destinations, making adjacent shared use paths useful for commuters and those on other errands. I wonder if that sort of approach might be a better solution in this case, with some sort of barrier between road and path if it is envisaged that school kids will be using it. I'd prefer that any kids of mine were using a well lit urban path rather than a path through fields on a dark December evening.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 2:24pm I know it's not perfect, and it doesn't make for attractive leisure cycling, but alongside major roads in the Bridgend area footways are being widened and re-imagined as shared use paths.
Lord preserve us from "shared use paths", a cumbersome meaningless phrase used to avoid mentioning the legal name that includes the C-word: "cycleway with right of way on foot". But they are rightly discouraged by the current Cycle Infrastructure Design guide (LTN 1/20) because a significant minority don't share, won't share and mess things up for everyone.
This takes advantage of the fact that those major roads take the most direct and flat route between destinations, making adjacent shared use paths useful for commuters and those on other errands.
But suffer the drawbacks of dozens of minor junctions and hoping that motorists eventually learn last year's update to the highway code and give-way when turning.
I wonder if that sort of approach might be a better solution in this case, with some sort of barrier between road and path if it is envisaged that school kids will be using it.
Great idea! How about a couple of fields as that barrier?
I'd prefer that any kids of mine were using a well lit urban path rather than a path through fields on a dark December evening.
Yeah, but you're just a townie who wants to make everything urban and avoid creating more bumpkins like me who grew up walking across the fields to neighbouring villages (because it was shorter and the roads didn't have footways anyway). ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 3:47pm
pwa wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 2:24pm I know it's not perfect, and it doesn't make for attractive leisure cycling, but alongside major roads in the Bridgend area footways are being widened and re-imagined as shared use paths.
Lord preserve us from "shared use paths", a cumbersome meaningless phrase used to avoid mentioning the legal name that includes the C-word: "cycleway with right of way on foot". But they are rightly discouraged by the current Cycle Infrastructure Design guide (LTN 1/20) because a significant minority don't share, won't share and mess things up for everyone.
This takes advantage of the fact that those major roads take the most direct and flat route between destinations, making adjacent shared use paths useful for commuters and those on other errands.
But suffer the drawbacks of dozens of minor junctions and hoping that motorists eventually learn last year's update to the highway code and give-way when turning.
I wonder if that sort of approach might be a better solution in this case, with some sort of barrier between road and path if it is envisaged that school kids will be using it.
Great idea! How about a couple of fields as that barrier?
I'd prefer that any kids of mine were using a well lit urban path rather than a path through fields on a dark December evening.
Yeah, but you're just a townie who wants to make everything urban and avoid creating more bumpkins like me who grew up walking across the fields to neighbouring villages (because it was shorter and the roads didn't have footways anyway). ;)

Seriously, I am mindful of a series of sexual assaults on shared use paths that pass through parkland in Cardiff. Lots of bushes for bad people to lurk behind and not many people about at certain times of day. We shouldn't have to worry about things like that, because it shouldn't happen, but it does.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

True story, before we go backwards in time by a few days and use the word 'snowflake'....
So about ten years ago, when I was fitter, single and had more time, I was cycling from Bridgwater to St Brivels, a few miles north of Newport. It was mid afternoon and I was cycling around that massive car park/import place in Bristol and there tied to the chainlink fence was a dried bunch of flowers and a newspaper clipping about how someone got stabbed on the same route I was on, bleed out, and died...
..yeah, hell when I was a kid I used to walk around fields, through woods and generally explore without issue. And in those days if you accidently spilt someone's pint they didn't mind too much either...
These aren't those days. A few years ago a security guard showed me the scar he got when he spilt someone's pint and they pulled a screw driver out of their coat and stabbed him with it....
...my childhood was so different compared with the kids of today.. against the back drop of social media where seeing a rising in juvenile knife crime, sexual assaults committed by minors against other minors, and online bullying as well as actual bullying.
When I got beaten up at school there weren't ten other kids filming it on their phone to post it on social media the next day, so you could relive the shame and the humiliation... or read their comments, likes or read other insults about you..
Last edited by cycle tramp on 7 Feb 2023, 8:17pm, edited 3 times in total.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

..generally cycle paths which make people nervous, afraid or worried to use them don't get used. And if a cycle path isn't used then it looks bad and gives the council every reason not to build another one..
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 5:13pm
pwa wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 2:24pm prefer that any kids of mine were using a well lit urban path rather than a path through fields on a dark December evening.

Seriously, I am mindful of a series of sexual assaults on shared use paths that pass through parkland in Cardiff. Lots of bushes for bad people to lurk behind and not many people about at certain times of day. We shouldn't have to worry about things like that, because it shouldn't happen, but it does.
Not many bushes in agricultural fields!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.