Avanti - bike in carrier bag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nearholmer

Re: Avanti - bike in carrier bag

Post by Nearholmer »

I honestly think the advice to cycle to Euston and put the whole bike in a booked space in the guard’s van is what you should follow.

I commuted on these trains for years and, as I said above, luggage space in the coaches is at a premium, so even if the staff don’t refuse boarding for a bagged bike, you risk getting caught-up in an argument, or your bike getting damaged as people wedge stuff in next to it.

Third option: book your bike a full passenger ticket, wrap it in a shawl and long skirt, put it on the seat next to yours, and pretend that it is your elderly aunt, sleeping.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Have a look also at Caledonian sleeper, they have seats also and are happy to take bikes. Used them recently to Glasgow.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I agree that bike as bike and luggage via courier is best.

However if set on bagging purely for the tube, then this is just the reverse of what I sometimes do.

Bike on train to Gatwick (allowed on all lines and that bit of tube). Pack at airport so bagged for flight.

In your case unpack at station.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

hamster wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 10:35am Have a look also at Caledonian sleeper, they have seats also and are happy to take bikes. Used them recently to Glasgow.
That's how I like to do it. There isn't much space in the new rooms, but should be OK with that other piece of luggage if travelling solo, and if not it will go in the guard's van.

https://www.sleeper.scot/the-sleeper-experience/
https://www.seat61.com/sleeper-to-scotland.htm#trains

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 12:10am The frame they test with at Euston allows a 90cm bag in. The wheelbase on my bike is about 110cm, so even with no wheels it wouldn't pass the test.
No wheels, no racks, no guards. Indeed, most still won't fit even then, so you have to either drop the fork out (cartridge bearing headsets help there, but it's still not simple) or have a frame with couplings.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

mjr wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 12:51pm
st599_uk wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 12:10am The frame they test with at Euston allows a 90cm bag in. The wheelbase on my bike is about 110cm, so even with no wheels it wouldn't pass the test.
No wheels, no racks, no guards. Indeed, most still won't fit even then, so you have to either drop the fork out (cartridge bearing headsets help there, but it's still not simple) or have a frame with couplings.
Quite, at that stage it's time to do a Rinko-type setup.