Avanti - bike in carrier bag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
aballa

Avanti - bike in carrier bag

Post by aballa »

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel with a bike in a carrier bag (wheels removed) on Avanti train? I would travel from London to Glasgow (then to Skye - CityLink bus is okay with bagged bike). I will also have a luggage with me.

I emailed Avanti but it can take 28 days to get response apparently. Any help appreciated, thank you! :D
Paulatic

Re: Avanti - bike in carrier bag

Post by Paulatic »

Avanti …Book a cycle reservation and take it on complete.
999DDA5D-2D02-4761-9067-B2F6B80B7A09.jpeg
Citylink provide the bag for the coach when you get there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

If you do want to take it as luggage, rather than complete, this is their luggage policy: https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/trave ... rd/luggage

Personally, I wouldn’t try, even if the bags each fit the size limit, because unless you travel when it is very quiet (not sure when that is!), you will find that space in the luggage areas in each coach is quite restricted, and sometimes heavily contested between passengers (things can get quite heated!), so you might find your precious bike getting wedged by a 30kg, armour-plated wardrobe on wheels suitcase shoved into place by an amateur wrestler.
aballa

Post by aballa »

Thank you so much for your responses. I would need to have it in a bag as I need to take public transport to get to the station itself. :|
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

aballa wrote: 4 Feb 2023, 10:26pm I would need to have it in a bag as I need to take public transport to get to the station itself. :|
Where are you coming from and how are you travelling to the station?

You won't get away with pretending that a bike is a variety of carrier bags and cases on Avanti (or indeed most train operators). It needs to be booked on as a bike.
The only exception is genuinely folding bikes like Bromptons which will actually fit in luggage racks.

But we need more info on your full journey in order to suggest further options. Rather than Avanti from Euston, it might be worth looking at LNER from Kings Cross...
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

aballa wrote: 4 Feb 2023, 9:10pm Hi All, Does anyone know if it is possible to travel with a bike in a carrier bag (wheels removed) on Avanti train? I would travel from London to Glasgow (then to Skye - CityLink bus is okay with bagged bike). I will also have a luggage with me.
Bike spaces can be booked in advance and are free.
If you want to be ready for the citylink bit, I'm sure no-one at euston is going to care if your bike is in a bag when you put it in the bike area. As above, they will probably care a great deal if you try to get it into a carriage as "normal" luggage.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I did my first JOGLE in 1994, I was still in the RN and had a couple of weeks leave whilst the ship was in the west of Scotland.
Mrs Mick F bought some denim and a long zip, and made me a bag that my Mercian could go into upside down with the wheel and mudguards in a separate slot in there. Straps were made from webbing, and I could carry it over my shoulder.

Four panniers were tied together and I carried them in the other hand.

The issue was, that Glasgow to Inverness was fine to book a bike onto, but the connection to Wick split in those days at Georgemass Junction. One half of the pair going to Wick, and the other half to Thurso. That train had - still has methinks - a first come, first served with bikes .................. hence my bag.

The bike in the bag fitted on the luggage rack as did my panniers.

When I got to Wick, I assembled my bike, fitted the panniers and strapped the folded bag on the top of the rear rack, and cycled to JOG SYHA for the night.

I'd been furnished with brown paper and sticky tape and a felt pen, so that evening i wrapped it all up and addressed it home. Next morning went to the Post Office paid the postage, and off it went home.

Some few years later, I took the train via London and went on the underground with my wrapped-up bike.
Basically, what I'm saying, is that if you can bag up your bike, you don't have any issues with trains, or the tube.
Mick F. Cornwall
aballa

Post by aballa »

Thanks again for your help and recommendations. Also your example of your journey sounded amazing.

The journey would be from Muswell Hill, London to London Euston Station on the 3rd f March just after peak time at 9.30am. Then from London Euston to Glasgow Central using AVANTI at 11:30am (I stay there for a night at my friends' place)
After that I take CityLink from Glasgow Buchanan to Sligachan (CityLink is okay with bagged bike etc. just need to book a reservation so this part is fine).
As I understood I could have the bike at the bike area in a bag without a problem. However I'm not sure if I could attach it in bike rack if it is in a bag like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NX1LZVJ/ ... 11_TE_dp_1

I will also need to take a proper big luggage as I stay there for 3 months.
Last edited by aballa on 5 Feb 2023, 1:11pm, edited 3 times in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Is the luggage you're taking in panniers on the bike?

I think I'd it were me, I'd probably book the bike on the train, cycle to Euston, then only bag it if necessary for the coach part, carry the bag with you for that.
aballa

Post by aballa »

Hey roubaixtuesda,

No, it would be a proper big luggage so in general a difficult journey by myself. I think I will look for different solution: not taking my bike at all or 'posting' it to the place :/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Probably a lot easier to send the suitcase as a parcel and just cycle and train. I’d also train Glasgow to Mallaig, that line is magic, and then ferry and cycle to destination. That’ll be a lovely trip and a lot less hassle without a suitcase. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Paulatic wrote: 5 Feb 2023, 1:42pm Probably a lot easier to send the suitcase as a parcel and just cycle and train.
This ^^

Much easier to send a suitcase via a parcel delivery firm - they are obviously very used to handling "regular" sized luggage rather than bikes and will also collect from your house.

Cycle to the station with minimal luggage (rucksack?) containing what you need for the journey, book the bike on as a normal bike (no worries about trying to dismantle and bag it or being refused) then get reunited with your luggage at the other end. Far easier that way than either trying to bag the bike and potentially being refused (highly likely on the train) and far less hassle than trying to lug the lot around.
Last edited by rareposter on 5 Feb 2023, 1:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

aballa wrote: 5 Feb 2023, 11:00am As I understood I could have the bike at the bike area in a bag without a problem. However I'm not sure if I could attach it in bike rack if it is in a bag like this:
That bag is too big.
The bike still has its wheels on.
Mick F. Cornwall
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

aballa wrote: 5 Feb 2023, 11:00am As I understood I could have the bike at the bike area in a bag without a problem. However I'm not sure if I could attach it in bike rack if it is in a bag like this:
Can pretty much guarantee you'll be denied boarding on a train with that AND a large suitcase. Bikes need to go as bikes, not as massive great unwieldy bags with bits sticking out of them.

The coach isn't an issue, they'll supply Bike Sock covers or even take it unbagged sometimes.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The frame they test with at Euston allows a 90cm bag in. The wheelbase on my bike is about 110cm, so even with no wheels it wouldn't pass the test.

The other issue with Avanti is that they discovered that relying on people doing overtime, whilst trying to force through controversial working practice changes is a bad idea. Drivers are working their allotted hours and not overtime so trains are cancelled last minute. If the train before yours is cancelled, then expect 2 trains worth of passengers and luggage to be on board. At least they still have proper bike spaces on the train, not a cupboard and hook.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”