paint testers - best source

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

paint testers - best source

Post by simonineaston »

You're a practical & thrifty bunch, in the main - where is the best place to go for paint testers? You know, the little pots of paint you use to paint a small area on your walls before you decide exactly which colour's going to work best...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
briansnail

Re: paint testers - best source

Post by briansnail »

Amazon/Wilko/Johnstones do sample pots.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

B&Q

Done it.
Hundreds of swatches of hundreds of different shades and tints on any colour you could imagine.
You give them your chosen swatch, they mix it, and you buy a small £4 pot.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers! I need somewhere to go to look at physical swatches, so I can get the colour exactly right. Sounds like B&Q will be perfect. I'm trying to get the colours used on George Harrison's 'Rocky' as I'm doing a look-a-like to hang on my wall. Fortunately I don't think George was a very sophisticted artist so it'll be quite easy to copy the design! I've already got a set of poster paints for the front - all I need is the duck egg blue for the back.
The original was a '61 model finished in one of their so-called custom colours, which were just car paints they bought from DuPont - George's was a colour called Sonic Blue, but when I rather optimisticaly bought an pre-mixed aerosol, called Ford Sonic Blue to do the job, it turned out to be a much darker midnight blue and totally unsuitable for the job...
front
front
back
back
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

B&Q will colour match to existing if you take a sample or the object in to the shop. They (and other places) have a little thingy with a controlled spectrum light source and the ability to read the colour precisely. It should easily get a reading from that guitar back.

I used the service to get paint to match some mounting board that I was using, and they did a cracking job.

Giving away the secret that my other hobby is vintage model railways, the “brick” here is mounting card and painted wood for different parts.

5074D14A-B229-4991-A895-A356B22B33B2.jpeg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We went to the Valspar section.

These are the swatches we chose.
IMG_1690.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Am off to B&Q shortly :-)
S
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 10:02am Am off to B&Q shortly :-)
Wickes too. Lots of samples

Al

https://joespedals.com/
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Back from B&Q with a perfect match. Paint finish will be softer than the original automotive laquer used obs. but it will be finished with an acrylic clear coat so all will be good. Thanks to all for helpful tips :-)
correct color swatch lying on wrong color...
correct color swatch lying on wrong color...
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 9:08pm
Giving away the secret that my other hobby is vintage model railways, the “brick” here is mounting card and painted wood for different parts.

Has anyone made a model velodrome, I wonder?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Great idea - sited immediately next to the railway station :-)
We're winning !!
We're winning !!
S
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Well, yes.

I run mostly old trains, made from the 1920s to 1950s, and a lot of the guys who do the same also collect other old toys. At some stage back then a several firms made rather good sets of cast metal toy/model cyclists in roughly the same scale as the trains, I think possibly Tour de France winners, and I have seen those displayed in a velodrome setting. Fonderie Roger in France I think still makes them if you want some. [ Yes, here we are https://www.fonderieroger.fr/miniatures-roger-2/]

Other rather fun, and obscure, old toys include a set of cast lead horses and jockeys, which race down a track made of tin sheet, which is vibrated by cranking a handle. It is possible to bet on this one!

This period piece you will really enjoy https://www.diecastvintagetoys.co.uk/ea ... stone-toys