Replacement 1” needle roller headset bearings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Artfuldodger

Replacement 1” needle roller headset bearings

Post by Artfuldodger »

This isn’t an urgent query, but having recently got back into cycle touring, and rebuilding old bikes in the winter from second hand eBay parts, my thoughts turned to stocking a few spares.

I have just installed a second hand Stronglight Delta headset into a second hand Raleigh Randonneur 708 frame, and reflecting that it was the third bike in my possession that has a needle roller headset, I was disturbed to find that replacement bearings are difficult to find. I appreciate that, well maintained, these bearings can outlast the bike, not to mention the owner (!) but a spare set would be a good thing to have.

The other two bikes have low stack height Rudelli Misura-type headsets, so replacing the entire headset, when the time comes, will not be straightforward. Has anyone found a source for these bearings (and the tracks) which they would willing to share? Or failing that, has anyone successfully substituted one of those cartridge sealed type bearings with the 45 degree bevelled surfaces instead of the loose bearing tracks and caged rollers?
rogerzilla

Re: Replacement 1” needle roller headset bearings

Post by rogerzilla »

The needle roller headsets were superseded by cartridge bearing headsets, which are an improvement in many ways. What is the stack height? A Tange FL250C or FL270C will fit most bikes. Ignore the stack height quoted on the SJSC website, which is wrong.
rjb

Post by rjb »

The bottom race takes the majority of any load and wear. I use the delta lower race with a standard ball race at the top so I have a spare set for when it's needed. :wink:
BTW I've haven't found any spares. :o
I had a rudelli one as a spare as it has a very low stack height due to the conical locking nut. It has identical bearing to the stronglight models so someone must be manufacturing them. I sold it on this forum as I didn't need it. :o
viewtopic.php?t=121972#p1233146
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

I used to buy these Stronglight parts here:https://defietsenmaker.nl/product-categ ... ts/page/2/
but they don't seem to sell it anymore....
Still have some used but usable stuff laying around, will send them to you just for the shipping cost.
Occasionally these parts show up on Ebay...
Last edited by Keezx on 6 Feb 2023, 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

i have a stash of stuff like that, i should have sorted it out years ago.
i think i have

a whole A9 1" threaded....the original ali. one, not the later steel one
Several whole sets of replacement caged needle rollers and the dished washer things
Some bits of ?Cane Creek? 1" threadless, as I remember they use the same bearings?
a really low stack 1" threaded top only. It doesn't use a locknut, because the adjusting race has a pinch-bolt to lock it onto the steerer thread.

I need to sort it all out, and a mate has first call on some of it, as i gave him a bike with 1" threadless!

ANYBODY........Drop me a PM for any of this you want, make the title "HEADSET" ....or I am sure to lose the bloody things!
Artfuldodger

Post by Artfuldodger »

Thanks all, that’s really helpful. The other bikes were both originally specced with Shimano 105s with the 32.5 mil stack height, so there is relatively little threaded tube left! Rudelli Misura headsets were a lifesaver when I replaced the Shimano headsets as they had the long life roller bearings and a similar stack. The Randonneur 708 takes a much more standard size and came with a Campagnolo headset which had a roller in the bottom and ball bearing in the top, but the lower cup was a terrible fit in the frame head tube - the Stronglight Delta was a good fit, so that was what I went with. I have been busy with the calipers this afternoon and may see whether I can find a cartridge bearing that might fit.

The problem seems to be that the chamfered 45 degree part of these cartridge bearings is very thin and if used seems likely to embed itself in the soft aluminium of the cups. A worn roller bearing track, if retained, might spread the load, if it doesn’t add too much to the stack height. All assuming that I can’t find a NOS bearing when the time comes, or just swap the top and bottom bearings. Thing is, I’m already dealing with second hand stuff so who knows how much life they have left.

If I ever find a replacement cartridge bearing that might work I will post the details here.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

ImageA9 headset bearing by 531colin, on Flickr

ImageA9 headset by 531colin, on Flickr

Couple of photos from 2010 (!) showing that these things don't always last for ever!