Front rack difficulties - any advice?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
plancashire

Re: Front rack difficulties - any advice?

Post by plancashire »

gregoryoftours wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 7:16pm The plastic in the assembly is the weakest link. Even though it's not located between the rack and the dropout, It nevertheless limits how tight the bolt can be torqued to clamp the rack to the dropout, because they are all sharing the same clamping force of the bolt. Either immediately or over time the plastic may deform or crack at the torque needed to reliably secure the rack to the dropout. I'd say this is quite a high likelihood.
Add a thin nut between the rack and the mudguard stay, which must be outside the rack, away from the frame. Tighten the whole lot as tight as you can, then give the nut an extra tighten against the rack. Use Loctite. Your mudguard stays will be a nut width further out. So what.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Skewer replaced, rack fitted.
20230322_211230.jpg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

nigelnightmare wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 7:41pm The problem is caused be the forks.
They're straight! The rack was designed for forks with the curve at the bottom.
I had the same problem once and the allen bolt skewer solved it.
Also don't mount it to the same fixing as the mudguard fixing, IT WILL COME LOOSE! & if something jams the front wheel you WILL come off the bike.
DAHIK :roll:
I think you're right. I would make a simple bracket ie just a flat strip of metal with a hole either end and drop the whole rack down about an inch by cutting another hole in the top fixing plate. This way you can fit the original skewer back.
Screenshot_20230323-000932_Chrome.jpg
I am here. Where are you?
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Have you tried putting the racks on the opposite sides ? Start with the bottom fixing and work your way up.
Or do a paper and pencil plan of the one side and try it on the other side.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Barrowman wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 6:07pm Have you tried putting the racks on the opposite sides ? Start with the bottom fixing and work your way up.
wouldn't work because of the brace
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Barrowman wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 6:07pm Have you tried putting the racks on the opposite sides ? Start with the bottom fixing and work your way up.
I'm very happy with it now.