nolsy freewheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cugel

Re: nolsy freewheel

Post by Cugel »

The OP might find this some comfort:

https://help.huntbikewheels.com/support ... ehub-noise

Notice also the link on that page to further detail of how the noise comes about.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

rjb wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 8:19pm Some riders prefer noisy freewheels. It reminds them of how it was in their youth. :lol:
That's true - I used to like the noise - when returning to cycling I used Shimano freehubs with their disappointingly silent operation.
Then I purchased a pair of wheels with a Campag freehub - lovely noise.
Unfortunately my partner hated it so I was forbidden from freewheeling during a two week tour.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think Brucie posted about this some years back. If I remember correctly he didn't find a reason why some freehubs should be noisy.

Just the wind and swish of the tyres for me downhill :D . Uphill all I hear is my laboured breathing.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

An expensive Dale I bought had a noisy freewheel.
It had its uses as you could freewheel behind pedestrians on shared paths to let them know you were there.
re comment upthread, the shop that sold me the bike said that this DID denote a quality hub. :)
I did tell this to a Dr Bike (who I rated) when he commented on the noise and he scoffed.
The hub later totally seized solid as I was about to make a right turn on a very busy tight road full of buses and lorries. Was lucky not to come to grief.
Have never had any other hub seize, or even play up.
The hub was replaced by a Shimano XT at a good price by the original shop - Evans of old.
So Mr shimano's silent stuff is just fine and dandy for me.
{edited for typo}
Last edited by Sweep on 12 Feb 2023, 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Sweep wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 12:02pm An expensive Dale I bought had a noisy freewheel.
It had it's uses as you could freewheel behind pedestrians on shared paths to let them know you were there.
re comment upthread, the shop that sold me the bike said that this DID denote a quality hub. :)
I did tell this to a Dr Bike (who I rated) when he commented on the noise and he scoffed.
The hub later totally seized solid as I was about to make a right turn on a very busy tight road full of buses and lorries. Was lucky not to come to grief.
Have never had any other hub seize, or even play up.
The hub was replaced by a Shimano XT at a good price by the original shop - Evans of old.
So Mr shimano's silent stuff is just fine and dandy for me.
FWIW I think that smaller manufacturers make noisy freehubs so that their users can announce to the world that they are too hip to use the market leading, beautifully silent, Shimano stuff.
geomannie
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cugel wrote: 9 Feb 2023, 9:47am The OP might find this some comfort:
Notice also the link on that page to further detail of how the noise comes about.
As a user of nice and quiet Shimano freehubs, I've noticed that very occasionally (once in 5000 miles?), the pawls will slip a position, giving a slight jerk and a bang.
Maybe Shimano freehubs are quiet because they use pawls with slightly rounded corners, as detailed in the low-noise freehub link on that page.
squeaker

Re: noisy freewheel

Post by squeaker »

pwa wrote: 9 Feb 2023, 4:19am I'm afraid it is a price you pay for not having a Shimano style freehub arrangement. The noise of other hub designs is the main reason I have stuck with Shimano for so long. I like a quiet bike.
Me too! I have to confess to transferring a particularly noisy specimen to my wife's rarely ridden MTB (she's slightly deaf, and hasn't complained yet...)
"42"
pwa

Post by pwa »

andrew_s wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 12:07pm
Cugel wrote: 9 Feb 2023, 9:47am The OP might find this some comfort:
As a user of nice and quiet Shimano freehubs, I've noticed that very occasionally (once in 5000 miles?), the pawls will slip a position, giving a slight jerk and a bang.
Maybe Shimano freehubs are quiet because they use pawls with slightly rounded corners, as detailed in the low-noise freehub link on that page.
Or maybe it is because other designs tend to have the pawls clattering against the main hub shell rather than a separate freehub body. Perhaps packing the shell with grease might stop it acting as a drum.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Well,I guess I,ve only my own annoyance to consider as,due to recent health issues,I mostly ride solo now anyway.....I,ll get used to it. :|
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Barrowman wrote: 9 Feb 2023, 7:23am Have to say I was a bit surprised at how much noisier a Campag Free Hub was than the Shimano offerings.
Having been a Campag user for many many years, it depends on the Campag group.

I had Mirage on one wheel ........... noisy as heck!
Went over to Chorus - same as Record - and nice and quiet.

The Mirage internals had deep and course ratchet teeth, whereas the Chorus/Record has finer and shallower teeth.
Also, the spring system is very different.

PS:
The word "Freehub" is the Shimano system. Campag don't have freehubs, but a rear hub with a freewheel body as a separate unit.
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 15.43.01.png
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 15.42.23.png
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 15.42.07.png
Mick F. Cornwall
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

I,ve abandoned my "Scribe" wheelset altogether.In addition to a really noisy freewheel,the final straw was having to put my conti tyres back on with a tyre lever. :evil: